0xC1900101 - 0x4000D The installation failed at the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

I've tried several times to install the Windows 10 November update. Each time the install gets to a progress screen showing 85% complete overall and 40% complete on configuration settings. Then it hangs. I've left it hanging for 7 up to hours with no change, so I'm not being impatient.

When it hangs the only way to regain control is by powering down the laptop. On boot up Windows tries briefly to recover the upgrade and then announces that the previous version of Windows 10 is being restored. Thankfully that works, but the November update is going to keep on failing and one time I won't get my laptop back in working order.

Initially I was trying to apply the update using Windows update. Then a response on this community suggested using the Windows 10_1511 Media Creation Tool. That froze at exactly the same point (85% overall, 40% configuration settings) but when I rebooted and Windows restored my previous version of Windows 10 I did get an error message:

We couldn't install Windows 10 ........... 0xC1900101 - 0x4000D The installation failed at the SECOND_BOOT phase with an error during MIGRATE_DATA operation.

I looked up solutions for that error message and found the following procedure, which I followed:
- Uninstall your Antivirus utility before attempting the upgrade.
- Disable General USB Devices (example - Smart Card Reader). 
- Do a clean boot
- Try again.

I did all that, but once again the upgrade froze at 85% overall, 40% configuration settings and at at the end of the inevitable restore to my previous version of Windows 10 I got exactly the same error message as before.

Can anyone help me move forward with this problem?

Windows 10 November update fails at 85% overall, 40% configure settings- Original Title 

Question Info

Last updated November 19, 2019 Views 30,894 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

If Windows crashes, because of bad drivers or any other reason, during the upgrade process we’ll fail the upgrade and restore your previous operating system.  On the upgrade progress screen you'll see three steps listed along the bottom "Copying files," “Installing features and drivers”, and “Configuring settings.”

During "Copying files", we actually boot into a minimal version of Windows and copy important files and drivers from the old operating system into the new one.  If we fail in this first stage you’ll see an error code in the Windows Update control panel called c1900101 x200xx.  For example, 20017 means we couldn’t even boot into this operating system and usually points to bad storage drivers.

The “Installing features and drivers” phase is the trickiest part of upgrade.  If you see a failure c1900101 x300xx, it means we failed during this phase.  The most common failure is x30018, which generally means a driver crashed when we loaded it for the first time.  Any driver could cause the failure, but it may not crash 100 percent of the time.  If you try again, it may just work.

"Configuring settings" is the final phase and failures codes look like c1900101 x400xx.  The most common failure here is 40017, which means we failed to boot.  Since this is the first time we boot into Windows 10 with all of the drivers in place, again, drivers are usually the cause of the crash.  These issues tend to be less transient than the 30018s, so a second try is less likely to solve the issue. Still, it never hurts to try.

Source, Windows 10 Insider Hub

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

57 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.