$Windows.~BT folder is now showing on my Windows 8.1 laptop

Today (28 July 2015) when I checked to see if there were any Windows 8.1 updates available it is showing "Today at 12:50 (failed)" under: - "Updates were installed:", but there are no failed updates showing in the "View update history" log.

Also today "$Windows.~BT" has been downloaded to the C: drive of the laptop I am using to write this message and I was wondering if the failed update message relates to the Windows 10 Update ?

Question Info

Last updated December 18, 2018 Views 1,539 Applies to:

Sounds like things are being prepped:

What happens when I reserve?

When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

So you might be seeing the early signs of that.

Just leave it and let it do its thing.

Learn more about how the update works: How to install the latest Windows 10 build from within Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Andre

Thank you for your reply.

Also when I saw the failed update error, I had a look in the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder, where I saw this sub folder: - 515a68d91f4e383eadde9ebb6ca22a60, which contains the following 2 files : -

1. WindowsUpdateBox.exe (17 MB)
  2. state                                (4 bits)

Then after a couple of minutes this file appeared "BIT2B0B.tmp" and when I checked Windows Update, after the file had appeared, there was a failed update showing with the same time as when this file appeared in the folder.

Sorry this didn't help.

Sounds like things are being prepped:

What happens when I reserve?

When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade.

So you might be seeing the early signs of that.

Just leave it and let it do its thing.

Learn more about how the update works: How to install the latest Windows 10 build from within Windows 8.1 or Windows 7

I may have a problem. I noticed there was $Windows.~BT folder created on 10 July 2015 over 2 weeks ago and I looked inside there was few files but nothing related to Windows 10 so I deleted the folder. Now I realised my mistake that I should leave it alone so how can I get folder back and lots of people reported already have Windows 10 preloaded on their system in UK where I live but mine didn't showed up.

HELP!!! 

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just installed Windows Update KB3055343 and after rebooting the laptop as instructed, all of the 3.04 GB files and folders that were previously in the $Windows.~BT folder have been deleted and now the only items that have been re-downloaded to the folder, are these ones: -

• "DUDownload"
  • "Sources"

However, when I look at the Windows Update entry in the Event Viewer's System log it shows this message, therefore what I would like to know is how can I get Windows 8.1 to re-download all the Windows 10 Update files again: -

Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WindowsUpdateClient
Date:          28/07/2015 22:49:45
Event ID:      17
Task Category: Automatic Updates
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Success,Download
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      JohnDavis
Description:
Installation Ready: The following updates have been downloaded and are ready to be installed:
- Upgrade to Windows 10 Home

Sorry this didn't help.

Looks like my reserved copy of Windows 10 is on it's way down to me right now.

My Windows Update also shows the "5:45am - Failed" update attempt, and then about 6:30am my bandwidth suddenly took a huge hit, and the file "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download\..." started downloading at about 90% of my available bandwidth.

It's about 1GB into it, and from what others are saying, I can expect a tad over 3 GB total, so I'll just go get some breakfast and see what happens when it finishes!

Not happy getting unceremoniously yanked out of what I was working on (my new full region in Second Life), but a bit excited to see what Windows 10 looks like.

Oh, in poking around in the hidden $Windows.~BT directory, I see under Sources, mixed in with a long list of what looks like language pack directories, a BLUE directory called "Panther".   Inside are dirs img, Resources, and Appraiser_Data files.....all blue as well!

Anybody know what this Panther directory is about, and why a different color?

Brant

Sorry this didn't help.

Yup: in the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution dir the file ReportingEvents shows the entry at 5:44am: AutomaticUpdates Success Content Install Installation Started: Windows successfully started the following update: Upgrade to Windows 10 Home

All quiet now, the download has finished, but no prompt for a reboot.

I'll go ahead and run the most recent Windows Update, let it reboot, and hope that the reported incompatibility with the NVIDIA GeForce Experience doesn't crop up!

Brant

Sorry this didn't help.

The size of the $Windows.~BT directory on my laptop is just over 4 GB and so I am assuming that all of the Windows 10 files have downloaded to my laptop, however this popup box appears when I manually ran the Setup.exe file at 03:00 on the 07/29/2015.

Sorry this didn't help.

My $Windows.~BT dir is 6.04 GB, and the download of the Win 10 update seems complete.

The NTFS Master File Table also shows a lot of disk activity.

On the CPU, I'm seeing a DismHost.exe (Host Servicing Process) running.

I think I'll wait and "let it do it's thing" as Andre recommended above, rather than try to force a Setup manually.

Brant

Sorry this didn't help.