Windows Update in Windows 10

I was reading changes to Windows 10.  On one website I read that Microsoft is changing how Windows updates are downloaded and installed with Windows 10 Home.   There will be no option to change to download updates manually. 

I have satellite internet and have limits on how much can be downloaded!   I can not have Windows Update download updates on its own.  Esp. updates that are 50+ MB,  (most updates total over 150 MB).  (I currently only have a 375 MB daily download limit.)

Is this true for Windows 10 Home users?

I hope Microsoft changes this for us users that do not have unlimited download usage!   If this does not get changed I will not be using Windows 10 and I would really like to get the Upgrade.

Question Info

Last updated October 23, 2019 Views 77,978 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Task scheduler is easy to get to grips with.  I can set up a task and make screenshots while I'm doing it so that I can give you decent guidance.  I can explain how to create the batch files without having to explain anything complicated - you will use Notepad to create two text files and then you will change their file extensions from .txt to .bat. 

I have not yet done anything about Build 10130.  It is perfectly possible to set it up in a dual-boot arrangement.  I think you made a procedural error.  Those links to Andre & JWStuart's articles I gave you about dual-booting will guide you through it but, judging from your description, I think that you ran setup from within Windows 7.  That would, in effect, install Windows 10 on top of Windows 7 as a "repair upgrade" [also known as an "In-place upgrade"].   

To install it in a dual-boot arrangement:-

Connect the installation disk [USB/DVD] you made from the ISO file

Browse it using Windows explorer

Look in its sources folder and you will find another file called setup

Right-click on setup.exe, select Run as Admin

After the initial bits where it asks about languages & keyboards, select Custom installation.

Then you will see the question about where to install it and you can choose the extra drive that you have ready for it.

I do not know what MS download manager you are referring to.  Is it the 2011 one [version 1.2.1]?  That does not seem to have been updated for later browser versions so I don't know if it much use.  I'll have a look at it after I do a new system image this evening or tomorrow.

I have a bunch of tasks to do on my two laptops as I have recently fitted second hard drives to them [using caddies that replace the CD drives].  I want to get that sorted out before worrying about upgrading to Build 10130 as I'll have to decide how to get the best out of both of them with this new facility - the partial syncing of core files I have been doing between them up until now is not making the most of my vast investment [£15 as I already had the spare HDDs sitting about doing nothing]. 

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

125 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Christopher,

I thought I'd give you an update.  My news is provisional because I must validate everything using the released version of Windows 10.

It's good news.  I have identified an automated procedure for switching a computer's WiFi connection between Metered and non-Metered.  It is done with a pair of batch files [each with a single command, in fact] that can be run on Task scheduler. 

The significance of this for you is that you would be able to put the batch files on each computer and then have the Task scheduler run the appropriate one [i.e. switch the computer between Metered & non-Metered mode] at 02:00 & 08:00.  It would all be automatic so you would not need to switch anything over manually.

Nearer the time, I'll have to find out if you know what a batch file is & how to set up a task in Task scheduler.  I can guide you through it if necessary.  It will probably take you about four minutes to set up & test on each computer. 

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

105 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.