Windows 10 - Updates to be compulsory for "home" users

I have just found an article in a UK newspaper suggesting the download and installation of updates for Windows 10 will be compulsory for users of the "home" version of the new operating system! Users of the "home" version will no longer have the option whether and when to download such updates.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/17/windows-10-updates-mandatory-home-users

Is this true?

If it is true, presumably it also means users of the "home" version of Windows 10 won't be able to "roll back" their PCs to a previous date and time when their PCs were functioning normally if there is a bug in an update.

Updates fixing holes in Microsoft's software that hackers and other ne'er-do-wells can exploit are welcome.

Unfortunately, in all the time I have been using Microsofts various operating systems there have always been instances where one of the frequent operating system updates issued by Microsoft has rendered one or more application progams on my computer unusable and/or made my PC phenomenally unresponsive, until such time as Microsoft has fixed the problem (which in some instances can take days - weeks on some occasions).

Is Microsoft really going to deny users of the "home" version of Windows 10 the choice to decide whether and when an update to their operating system can be installed on a user's PC? That choice has always been available to "home" users of previous versions of Microsoft's operating systems.

Or is this some ploy to make users upgrade to the more expensive professional version of Windows 10, which apparently will still give users the option as to whether and when updates are installed?

Upgrading to Windows 10 is becoming less and less an attractive an option.

All editions of Windows 10 with exception to the Enterprise edition cannot defer Windows Updates.

From the End User License Agreement:

Updates. The software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorized sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.

What does Windows as a Service entail?

Since the introduction of Windows Update as part of Windows, Microsoft has delivered updates as way to keep Windows updated and secure. This has always been the way the company keeps commercial versions of Windows on the market current.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is making significant changes to this model by delivering new methods of servicing Windows. Taking into account we now live in a mobile, constantly connected world, where threats happen all the time. Part of the solution to this is to keep users current by providing the latest updates as soon as they are available in addition to delivering features as soon as they ready too.

Microsoft will do this using three types of service branches for Windows 10:

Service Branch

Options

Edition

Current Branch

• Security Updates, Features and Fixes are automatically applied.
  • There is no option to delay or customize these updates.
  • Windows 10 Home

Current Branch for Business (CBB)

• CBB includes the requirements of the Current Branch, but also provides the option of customizing when and which Security Updates, Features and Fixes are applied, similar to how Windows Update works today in current versions of Windows. 
  • Updates cannot be deferred indefinitely.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Education

Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB)

• Only available to volume license customers running Windows 10 Enterprise.
  • Flexible options for managing Windows Updates.
  • Windows Updates can be customized to only accept Security Fixes.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Enterprise

Can I schedule when Windows Updates are installed and will these required updates force restart my computer?

You can schedule when Updates are installed and no, updates do not force restart your computer.

Open the Notification icon from the Notification Area and click Don't forget: a restart is scheduled...

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Found this on another website;

You agree to receive these updates without notice”

Windows 10 Home won't provide users with an option to defer updates and choose what and when to install, and in the EULA that Microsoft included in Windows 10 build 10240, which is said to be at least an RTM candidate (if not the RTM itself), the company confirms that this is indeed the case for Home users.

Basically, computers running Windows 10 Home will get updates and security patches automatically and they will all be installed once they are downloaded.

Users cannot disable this process and cannot delay it, so once Microsoft ships new updates, Windows 10 Home computers are the first to get and install them.

The licensing agreement in Windows 10 explains how this works:

“The Software periodically checks for system and app updates, and downloads and installs them for you. You may obtain updates only from Microsoft or authorised sources, and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.”

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks Andre and OzAussie for your replies.

So basically the newpaper article I read was true. Shame, damn shame!

As I said before, I have never had an instance where some update to Microsoft's legacy operating systems hasn't rendered one or more non Microsoft application software on my PC unusable for a period of time, or made my PC unresponsive, until such time as Microsoft has fixed the bug(s) in the update that caused the problem.

The options to control whether and when I download updates, or to roll back my PC to a time when it was functioning normally, has always been useful.

That control option is being given to business users of Windows 10 I understand.

I can see me not upgrading to Windows 10 for some considerable time, if I do at all.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have just found an article in a UK newspaper suggesting the download and installation of updates for Windows 10 will be compulsory for users of the "home" version of the new operating system! Users of the "home" version will no longer have the option whether and when to download such updates.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/jul/17/windows-10-updates-mandatory-home-users

Is this true?

If it is true, presumably it also means users of the "home" version of Windows 10 won't be able to "roll back" their PCs to a previous date and time when their PCs were functioning normally if there is a bug in an update.

Updates fixing holes in Microsoft's software that hackers and other ne'er-do-wells can exploit are welcome.

Unfortunately, in all the time I have been using Microsofts various operating systems there have always been instances where one of the frequent operating system updates issued by Microsoft has rendered one or more application progams on my computer unusable and/or made my PC phenomenally unresponsive, until such time as Microsoft has fixed the problem (which in some instances can take days - weeks on some occasions).

Is Microsoft really going to deny users of the "home" version of Windows 10 the choice to decide whether and when an update to their operating system can be installed on a user's PC? That choice has always been available to "home" users of previous versions of Microsoft's operating systems.

Or is this some ploy to make users upgrade to the more expensive professional version of Windows 10, which apparently will still give users the option as to whether and when updates are installed?

Upgrading to Windows 10 is becoming less and less an attractive an option.

I believe this may be a good thing for me. I wont say this for anyone else, but I try to get my computer to work the way it was built to work in the first place. I have always been a fan of Microsoft's. I'm happy that they will be using more app's. All updates can be used for different reasons. I have in my Windows 7 every update from Microsoft, but it is very different then any OS you have seen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh dear! it seems that some Windows 10 compulsory updates are causing some users devices to crash constantly.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/08/08/windows-10-forced-updates-causing-endless-crash-loop/

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I did install the windows 10 freely of choice right at the beginning and it completely screwed up my laptop.  The only way to rectify it was several nights where Microsoft remotely accessed to it a) try to get around the errors then b) to re-install windows 7and all other cocked up software as all previous files were lost through its own upgrade.  Lots of messing with disturbed sleep as they didn't understand the timezone difference either!

I do NOT want this, BEEN THERE DONE IT. 

Please tell me this should count as having exception to the rule??? It has scanned my laptop as tho its the first update /upgrade of it rather than having had it and rolled back?

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 1, 2024 Views 2,614 Applies to: