Upgrade to Windows 10 under domain controllers.

Hi!

I have more than 30 computers under domain controller and all of them are Windows 7 or 8.1 pro.
I also have 20 or more laptops that are not part of the domain controller. and we want to get them all upgraded to Windows 10 with the promotion.
and this is just one of our office, but we have more than 700 user in different location and with their own local server! and IT support.

What solution Microsoft is offering for this kind of environment? can we even get free upgrade? is there any possibility to upgrade them all offline (it must be!)?

Also we have some computers with upgraded version of Windows 8.1 pro (it was home edition and we did upgrade them with upgrade package)
We do have Microsoft volume licensing account but I can say we just get our server from that way, not workstation and laptops.

I have tried to figure out GWX and I saw under config file there is "False" for computers under the domain!! I didn't bother to change it and try, and I thought it is better to get actual solution or recommendation from Microsoft expert.

Please kindly answer my questions then I can go ahead and tell our other IT staff what to do.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Ali Mirzaei

Question Info

Last updated August 26, 2019 Views 7,934 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

You will need to initiate the free upgrade manually by logging into a Local Administrator account on the machine.

What if I have more than one Windows device—can I upgrade them all?

Yes, you can get a free upgrade for each of your eligible Windows devices. All you need to do is make a separate reservation for each device you want to upgrade.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-faq

Honestly, because of the volume of PC's, this is not a suitable procedure, but its the only option available.

You could give the instruction to users of the computer if they have some autonomy or you will have to send a Site Admin to do each PC manually.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

You will need to initiate the free upgrade manually by logging into a Local Administrator account on the machine.

Yes, you can get a free upgrade for each of your eligible Windows devices. All you need to do is make a separate reservation for each device you want to upgrade.

Honestly, because of the volume of PC's, this is not a suitable procedure, but its the only option available.

You could give the instruction to users of the computer if they have some autonomy or you will have to send a Site Admin to do each PC manually.

Thanks for your answer Andre,

I tried for myself and Loged in to Local admin, but it didn't work!

I have read somewhere under Microsoft community forum that we can do it by ISO file offline! so where can I get that ISO ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you can get the .ISO when Windows 10 launches.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, you can get the .ISO when Windows 10 launches.

Thanks Andre,

But this is actually my question! can I still do it for free?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Andre: 

I have a tiny domain due to replacing my Windows Home Server with Windows Server 2012R2.  I don't otherwise have experience with domains (nor do I want any).

Your advice for domain connected computers is good but does not provide me with adequate information.

Do you have an actual tested sequence of instructions that tell explicitly what to do?

For example, you say to log on as an administrator but you don't say which computer to log onto.  Obviously there is crucial information missing from your answer ...

Perhaps Microsoft would be kind enough to post document with explicit instructions?

Thank you.  Eric Lewis

Sorry this didn't help.

The answer given is not correct, simply logging into the local administrator account will not allow the reservation app to appear,  You would need to unjoin the domain.  However, this is unnecessary, simply wait till July 29th and download the ISO file and burn it to a disk   If you have an eligible pc,  domain joined or not, you will be able to  upgrade for free

Sorry this didn't help.

The answer given is not correct, simply logging into the local administrator account will not allow the reservation app to appear,  You would need to unjoin the domain.  However, this is unnecessary, simply wait till July 29th and download the ISO file and burn it to a disk   If you have an eligible pc,  domain joined or not, you will be able to  upgrade for free

I had tried this and it didn't work either. After unjoining the domain, I waited for the icon to appear. Even I restarted my PC several times but the icon didn't appear at all. When are we going to get this problem solved? It is ready June 29, 2015.

Sorry this didn't help.

When are we going to get this problem solved? It is ready June 29, 2015.

Sorry this didn't help.

You can download the ISO files here the link

However, I tried this and it did not accept my product ID as valid.  (It is as business purchased from Dell).  I think it may be due having Windows 7 PRO installed.  Need to upgrade to Windows 10 PRO and maybe this ISO is not PRO?  I don't have an answer for this...

Sorry this didn't help.

I'm also in a bit of a unique environment, I run a (currently) 2012 R2 domain at home to be able to play around, test upgrade paths, and maintain my skill set. I have a Windows 2010 machine already on the domain that upgraded from a workgroup 8.1 and it was flawless. I have 2 domain machines, one with Win 7 Ultimate and 1 with 8.1 that I'd like to get Windows 10 on - they are all TechNet/MSDN keys -, and I'm wondering the best way to do this. 

With my setup would it be better to:

1) unjoin the domain and upgrade once it prompts?

2) download the ISO and push the upgrade out and maybe run into licensing issues?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry this didn't help.