Stop Windows 10 upgrade install after files already dowloaded

Hi,

I had reserved my free Windows 10 upgrade and this morning was notified that it was downloaded and ready to install.  However I have changed my mind and do not want to upgrade.  How can I get rid of the message "Your upgrade to Windows 10 is ready - You need to restart your PC to begin installation" in Windows Update?

I just want to stick with Windows 7 Ultimate that I have.  It's working like a champ and I see no need to upgrade.

Thanks.

Amir

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Amir,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I suggest you follow the below steps in order to stop installing Windows 10.

1. Click on Start.

2. Type: view installed updates

3. Hit Enter

4. Look through the list for the KB3035583 update.

5. Right click it and click Uninstall.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It is quite amusing that Microsofts answer to any kind of Windows 10 upgrade cancellation issue is to uninstall that app!  That only works if the approximately 3GB worth of Windows 10 files haven't already been downloaded.  Once they are, uninstalling that app does nothing because it's in the clutches of Windows Update.

Luckily I found my own solution.  The only way I could resolve it was to do a system restore to a week ago and then I was able to uninstall that app and "hide" all updates related to Windows 10.

But thanks for the help anyway.

-Amir

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think I found easier solution.

I went to system drive and found hidden $Windows.~BT folder. I changed its name, restarted PC, then made sure that "Upgrade to Windows 10" update is hidden so it won't be downloaded again.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Has this solution caused you any issues yet?

I do not find either of the above listed updates in my "installed" list so that solution won't work. However, I know I have that ~BT folder because I saw it when trying to see what was eating up space on my drive.

I do not want to upgrade yet because Autodesk products are not yet certified for use with 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This did not work for me. The installed update is deleted and I still get a message I cannot shut down wanting me to schedule the installation. It won't minimize, nor close out through task manager. 

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am also still having this exact same problem. I've cleared all the files mentioned above, done a Windows cleanup, uninstalled a number of known KB-patches and I still get this window constantly nagging me at my Windows Update, which doesn't allow me to process any other regular Windows Updates.

And I also get this schedule window that I can't seem to get rid of either.

For additional reference, I have ensured all of the following KBpatches are uninstalled:

KB3035583

KB2952664

KB2976978

KB3021917

KB3044374

KB2990214

GWX seems to be gone from my PC but both the above two windows are still present.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

It is quite amusing that Microsofts answer to any kind of Windows 10 upgrade cancellation issue is to uninstall that app!  That only works if the approximately 3GB worth of Windows 10 files haven't already been downloaded.  Once they are, uninstalling that app does nothing because it's in the clutches of Windows Update.

Luckily I found my own solution.  The only way I could resolve it was to do a system restore to a week ago and then I was able to uninstall that app and "hide" all updates related to Windows 10.

-Amir

I have a Windows 10 install I would like to cancel as well. I did ask for the reservation, but somehow I went and turned my PC on one morning, got a BLACK SCREEN, and it actually installed Windows 10. I didn't know what was going on at first, but I finally discerned what had happened and after some research I found the Microsoft feature to backup to a previous Windows system. In my case, it's Windows 7 Pro 64 bit. I disliked  many things I found in Windows 10 and I did use the option to backup to Windows 7 a day later. I found an innocuous little message warning me that I might have to reinstall "some" programs after the backup. I did run into one. There may have been more. The backup to Windows 7 seemed to go okay outside of the program reinstall it caused.  I worried what Microsoft may have left behind from the Windows 10 install so I did a complete system reload from a current Macrium Reflect image backup. That went well, but I kept getting Windows 10 nag messages. I uninstalled KB3035583 and that got rid of the nag messages. This morning I happened into Windows Update and found it is ready to install Windows 10 if I click "Restart". I couldn't find how to attach a pdf, mht, or doc file I have of the notice in Windows Update, but a quote from it is "Your update to Windows 10 is ready" "You need to restart your PC to begin installation. This might take awhile, but we'll let you know when it's done." This is followed by a "Restart now" button.  I read in one of the forums I researched that the install won't actually start until I press the Restart button and apparently that's true because it is still there after several reboots.

Now, I don't know what to do. I don't want to go through all of that again. I read that I should hide the update in Control Panel, but I can't find how to do that. Windows won't let me check for updates because it's in the middle of the Windows 10 install. Hiding it would be short term in any case because I don't want to leave the Windows 10 files lying around. Any help would be appreciated

IronYooper.

IronYooper

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,  I reserved my free copy and the Windows 10 upgrade wants to install now, but I cannot install now.  I would like to install it in the next 3 to 10 months, when my job confirms Windows 10 is compatible with all our systems (VPN, CRM, etc.). What should be done in my case?  I don't want to completely opt out of the upgrade, just postpone for months (but before the free upgrade expires in July 2016).  The postpone option only allows 3 days to postpone.  I am afraid if I postpone for 3 days, it will start automatically installing in 3 days.  Help!  Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

-Amir

Amir,

If you look in this list of replies to your original problem you will see I went through what I believe is almost exactly what you say worked for you.  However, about a week after I had done a complete system restore and uninstalled KB3035583, ,I discovered via Windows Update that Windows 10 had again download to my PC and was waiting for me to click on the "Restart now" button to install Windows 10 again for me.  Granted, I did not hide the update, but I don't have updates automatically installed, and I didn't see anything come through for any updates.  A couple of hours ago, 10 AM CST 8/23, I called a Microsoft number that I had recorded the call as requiring a $35 fee years ago.  The line was still active and a recording indicated extremely long wait times.  It took my phone number and promised to call me back in approximately 146 minutes.  Needles to say, I'm desperate.  I'll put a post in this thread if and when I get the call back.

IronYooper 

IronYooper

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

dear Divya M

the solution you suggested above is not working at all.

I've cleared all the files mentioned above, done a Windows cleanup, uninstalled a number of known KB-patches and I still get this window constantly nagging me at my Windows Update, which doesn't allow me to process any other regular Windows Updates.

And I also get this schedule window that I can't seem to get rid of either.

For additional reference, I have ensured all of the following KBpatches are uninstalled:

KB3035583

KB2952664

KB2976978

KB3021917

KB3044374

KB2990214

GWX seems to be gone from my PC but both the above two windows are still present.

CAN MICROSOFT PLEASE INFORM US ABOUT HOW WE CAN GET RID OF THE TWO WINDOWS MENTIONED ABOVE.

Many thanks in advance for your cooperation.

Sophia

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 4, 2020 Views 34,465 Applies to: