GWX.exe fails to launch because of failed pre-requisites on Windows 7 SP1

Hi,

I have just made a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate 64bit with SP1. I have applied all updates, but I have hit a brick wall with the KB3035583 patch aka Get Windows 10 App. Although applied successfully, I do not see the tray icon. After digging around in event viewer, I came across the GWX-Ins events. However I still don't understand why it doesn't work. The events are as follows:-

• Information message: GWX Main: Launched for tray startup
  • Information message: GWX Main: Launched by task
  • Information message: Ceip is opted in
  • Information message: Download pre-req for config/content failed 
  • Information message: Appraiser pre-req failed
  • Error message: GWX CompatLib: Failed to retrieve CEIP markers. hresult: The system cannot find the file specified. Error Code -2147024894.

I have tried watching the process of GWX.exe launch with process monitor, but no entry was seen. I will appreciate any help or tips.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Any normal  developer should build a debugging tool into the application, as many professionals would like to see what is happening behind the scenes. But as the free upgrade does not apply to businesses, Microsoft chose not to allow users to see the debugging spew from the update, which means that we have to rely on event viewer to diagnose the issue. I personally find this ludicrous as event viewer only gives us generic information about the error, which means it becomes a game of find the needle in the haystack.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Any normal  developer should build a debugging tool into the application, as many professionals would like to see what is happening behind the scenes. But as the free upgrade does not apply to businesses, Microsoft chose not to allow users to see the debugging spew from the update, which means that we have to rely on event viewer to diagnose the issue. I personally find this ludicrous as event viewer only gives us generic information about the error, which means it becomes a game of find the needle in the haystack.

Probably they will. There is almost 2 months for a start, so they have time to diagnose any problems an so forth. Of course if there is a number of people really having this and it's worth, comparing to work you need to put to start working. Maybe this works should be put for windows 10 to be better ;)

I'm reading this post, as my Windows 7 haven't got invitation yet. And FAQ and all MS materials IMHO were built for Very Best Working scenario, not with any problems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I have just made a clean install of Windows 7 ultimate 64bit with SP1. I have applied all updates, but I have hit a brick wall with the KB3035583 patch aka Get Windows 10 App. Although applied successfully, I do not see the tray icon. After digging around in event viewer, I came across the GWX-Ins events. However I still don't understand why it doesn't work. The events are as follows:-

• Information message: GWX Main: Launched for tray startup
  • Information message: GWX Main: Launched by task
  • Information message: Ceip is opted in
  • Information message: Download pre-req for config/content failed 
  • Information message: Appraiser pre-req failed
  • Error message: GWX CompatLib: Failed to retrieve CEIP markers. hresult: The system cannot find the file specified. Error Code -2147024894.

I have tried watching the process of GWX.exe launch with process monitor, but no entry was seen. I will appreciate any help or tips.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0

Try to download, unzip, run as administrator and check steps one by one. I had also problems with GWX and I could not fix that until i found this link. Hope it will help.

Greetings

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PiotrekJotPe,

After reading your reply, I can tell you that this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0 actually solves the issue, as I have ran it twice with 100% success rate. However you need to run it as a administrator for it to work :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Seven_90,

I can confirm that the file held within the zip file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0 actually works, thanks for your help :)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PiotrekJotPe,

After reading your reply, I can tell you that this file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0u0au9xgy6ss18p/win10fix_full.zip?dl=0 actually solves the issue, as I have ran it twice with 100% success rate. However you need to run it as a administrator for it to work :)

I'm running that file as I'm writing that, and it worked. Unfortunately I've got information, that my processor is not compatible with Windows 10. Really strange :(

Sorry this didn't help.

Nice to hear :)

Greetings

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Seven_90 I can confirm that the win10fix_full.zip works virtually instantly... (providedthat the user is running Genuine Windows)  On the advice of a poster on MDL forum I searched for "win10fix_full.bat" I grabbed a copy from GitHub:

https://github.com/vlee489/Windows-10-reserve-fixer-

Thx & Rgrds,

"Pink" *M$ SVAU*

Saepe fallitur, sed nunquam bis

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked perfectly for me too - thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Seven_90 I can confirm that the win10fix_full.zip works virtually instantly... (providedthat the user is running Genuine Windows)  On the advice of a poster on MDL forum I searched for "win10fix_full.bat" I grabbed a copy from GitHub:

https://github.com/vlee489/Windows-10-reserve-fixer-

Thx & Rgrds,

"Pink" *M$ SVAU*

hello

i have Hp 8770w with genuine windows 7 64bits sp1

i install all updates 

i heve bitdefender antivirus

i follow all methods to reserve windows 10 copy but all method did't work for me !
in the task manager i see that GWXUX is running but no icon in the taskbar

i used this one win10fix_full.bat but when i pressed key to continue i got message that i need run it as administrator and that what i did !

i don't know why all method don't work ? where is the problem ?

can i reserve windows 10 copy without using this bad application ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2018 Views 15,643 Applies to: