Free disk space needed for Windows 10 upgrade from 8.1?

I've got an Asus SSD tablet (T300L) but the drive C is only 100G, and I have only 16GB of free space. Can W10  be upgraded with this amount of free space? The other partition is 128GB with plenty of free space.

And if it can, will the upgrade delete all the old W8.1 OS files to save space?

And will it keep all the programs installed as they are now?

How will I know if my computer can run Windows 10?

System requirements

If you want to upgrade to Windows 10 on your PC or tablet, here’s what it takes.

Latest OS:  Make sure you are running the latest version either Windows 7 SP1 or Windows 8.1 Update.

For Windows 8.1, see the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/install-latest-update-windows-8-1

For Windows 7, see the following article:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/learn-how-to-install-windows-7-service-pack-1-sp1

Processor:  1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster processor or SoC

RAM:  1 gigabyte (GB) for 32-bit or 2 GB for 64-bit
Hard disk space:  16 GB for 32-bit OS 20 GB for 64-bit OS
Graphics card:  DirectX 9 or later with WDDM 1.0 driver
Display:  1024x600

How much actual free disk space is required by Windows 10 setup?

Windows 10 uses approximately 10 GBs of disk space. The minimum disk space available is to facilitate the installation process. Some install files are compressed and need to be expanded during setup. Some files are temporary and are deleted during or after installation. Also, because you might have data and apps on the hard disk, they will be moved around during migration.

Learn more:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-10-specifications

My Tablet does not have 16 or 20 GBs of free space and I am not able to free up any additional space. What should I do?

Windows 10 will support systems with compressed installations. Windows 10 can upgrade such systems with as little as 8.5 GBs of free space.

Also see:

How to free up disk space in Windows

Will upgrading from Windows 7 or later preserve my personal files, applications and settings?

Yes, upgrading from Windows 7 or a later version will preserve your personal files (documents, music, pictures, videos, downloads, favorites, contacts etc, applications (ie. Microsoft Office, Adobe applications etc),  games and settings (ie. passwords, custom dictionary, application settings).

Will my existing programs, hardware and drivers work on Windows 10?

Most applications and hardware drivers designed for Windows 7 or later should work with Windows 10. Of course, with significant changes expected in Windows 10, it is best you contact the software developer and hardware vendor to find out about support for Windows 10. Windows 10 setup will keep, upgrade, replace and might require that you install new drivers through Windows Update or from the manufacturers website.

You can also download the Windows 10 Reservation App and use it to check your system readiness.

How to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10

Click the hamburger menu at the upper left hand corner.

Click Check your PC

Wait while the scan prepares a report, when complete, you should see the following:

Backup your computer:
When making significant changes to your computer such as updating the operating system, you should always backup. See links to resources about backing up by clicking the link for the respective version of Windows you are running: Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8/8.1

Also review:

How to manually backup and restore your files

How to: 10 Tips before installing the latest Windows 10 build

How to: 10 things to do if Windows 10 Setup fails.

Once you have installed these important updates and followed the prerequisite instructions, you should be ready to receive your free update to Windows 10 this summer.

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

3 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Last item - does the W10  install delete all the W8.1 files? Is it close enough to a "wipe the disk and do a clean install of W10" as far as disk space used?

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2020 Views 20,418 Applies to: