does Windows Update force install of optional updates on Windows 10

On my home laptop, I have an optional update for hardware that I have hidden. I installed it once when Windows Update offered it as a newer version of a driver already installed, and it broke the capability to sync data to the external device. So I uninstalled the update, and hid it when it was offered again.

I have read that Windows 10 will enforce install of updates. Does this include optional updates for hardware?

Jim

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is what Microsoft says:

What does Windows as a Service entail?

Since the introduction of Windows Update as part of Windows, Microsoft has delivered updates as way to keep Windows updated and secure. This has always been the way the company keeps commercial versions of Windows on the market current.

With Windows 10, Microsoft is making significant changes to this model by delivering new methods of servicing Windows. Taking into account we now live in a mobile, constantly connected world, where threats happen all the time. Part of the solution to this is to keep users current by providing the latest updates as soon as they are available in addition to delivering features as soon as they ready too.

Microsoft will do this using three types of service branches for Windows 10:

Service Branch

Options

Edition

Current Branch

• Security Updates, Features and Fixes are automatically applied.
  • There is no option to delay or customize these updates.
  • Windows 10 Home

Current Branch for Business (CBB)

• CBB includes the requirements of the Current Branch, but also provides the option of customizing when and which Security Updates, Features and Fixes are applied, similar to how Windows Update works today in current versions of Windows. 
  • Updates cannot be deferred indefinitely.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Pro
  • Windows 10 Enterprise
  • Windows 10 Education

Long Term Servicing Branch (LTSB)

• Only available to volume license customers running Windows 10 Enterprise.
  • Flexible options for managing Windows Updates.
  • Windows Updates can be customized to only accept Security Fixes.
  • Windows Updates can be managed using enterprise management tools such as Windows Update for Business and/ WSUS.
  • Windows 10 Enterprise

Can I schedule when Windows Updates are installed and will these required updates force restart my computer?

You can schedule when Updates are installed and no, updates do not force restart your computer.

Open the Notification icon from the Notification Area and click Don't forget: a restart is scheduled...

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Andre,

Thank you for the prompt reply!

Sigh. Forced updating to a newer version of a hardware driver that ends up breaking functionality I need would lead me to restore Windows 7.

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Jim,

The previous reply does not seem to address your particular question.

The answer is Sort of ... - if your internet connection uses the WiFi on your computer, you can turn off updates for devices [drivers & associated software].

You would then have to check these manually every so often as Windows update in Windows 10 will not even tell you that any have become available. 

The relevant part of Windows 10 for this is currently at Settings, Devices ["Settings" is a sort of parallel utility to Control panel].  This particular item has varied a bit during the Preview period so it is possible that its location might change again or that the detail of its functionality might change again [at one stage, anyone could turn this setting off whether they used a WiFi connection or not].

This hardware opt-out is the only exception that Windows update in Windows 10 allows.  All software updates are compulsory; there is no such thing as an optional update any more.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Try, honestly, I don't see anything of relevance to what you said about Settings and Devices as it relates to the OPs issue of Optional Updates. Changing your Internet Connection settings is not necessary and quite naive.

Optional Updates would "Optional Updates' whether its hardware or software.

As I previously noted, three specific updates that are applied are Security Updates, Fixes and Features and these are required under Windows 10 Home.

In Windows 10 an Optional Update is Optional and remains unchecked:

Click Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update > Advanced Options

As you can see Optional Updates now called Give me updates for other Microsoft products when I update Windows is optional and remains unchecked.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

His question was, "Does this include optional updates for hardware?"

That is the issue I addressed in my post.

His options are dictated by the method that he uses to connect to the internet.  To tell  him that is not naïve at all; it is an essential component of any decent response to his question.  I did not suggest that he changes his internet connection.

The issue of the setting for other Microsoft product updates is entirely unrelated to the OP's question.

His question was, "Does this include optional updates for hardware?"  Now get off my back.

Try*3 - a user
Dell Inspirons 7779, 1545, 9300; Windows 10 Home x64 & Pro x86; Office Pro 2007; HP DJ2540; HTC UPlay [Android 6.0], MyPhoneExplorer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

His question was, "Does this include optional updates for hardware?" 

In Windows 7, Optional Updates which included Hardware Updates are under a separate tab in Windows Update, see:

As you can see the nVidia and Realtek (both hardware driver updates) are listed as Optional and unchecked by default unless the user chooses to install it. Which is the same behavior in Windows 10.

You just don't know it because you were using a guessing game.

Security Updates, Fixes and Features are not optional because of how critical they are although the consensus is users would like to control them. These are operating system, not hardware related.

Now get off my back. - Very immature of you.

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Concerning the internet connection, my laptop will connect via WiFi. I can connect it to the home internet via a CAT5 cable, but I don't normally do that. I will look for Settings, Devices and the Advanced Options to Windows Updates when I have Windows 10 loaded. A choice to disable automatic updates to hardware drivers would be helpful.

Jim

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

FIRST YOU REFER TO MY ANSWER AS BEING NAIVE NOW YOU CALL ME IMMATURE.

I MADE NO INSULTING REMARKS TO YOU AT ALL.

I EXPECT BETTER BEHAVIOUR FROM YOU.

Try*3 - a user

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is what I believe he was referring to, but this is for Apps, it does not affect Windows Updates which is managed under 'Updates & Security'.

App Updates are managed through the Store.

Start > Settings > Network > Advanced Options > Set as metered connection

Best,
Andre
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"The relevant part of Windows 10 for this is currently at Settings, Devices".
Try*3 - a user

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 18, 2022 Views 13,047 Applies to: