Can I perform a clean installation of Windows 10 with Windows 8 OEM?

Windows 10 will come out on July 29, 2015. I wonder if the ISO file of Windows 10 full version will come out along with its release, so that I can perform clean installation. If the ISO files will be available, can I activate the fresh installed Windows 10 with Windows 8 OEM key stored in BIOS? My laptop was preinstalled with Windows 8 but I have removed it completely. Thanks for any useful answers and links.

Question Info

Last updated December 27, 2017 Views 1,336 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

To be able to install Windows 10 for free, you need a valid Windows 7 or 8 license (excluding enterprise version. For these there are going to be other ways to upgrade)

The first step is to upgrade. You can do this 2 ways:

• Using Windows update. If you go this way, Windows 10 is going to be installed just like any other update. It will appear in the list of updates (probably in the optional category) and you can install it from there.
  • Using the ISO image. Microsoft is going to provide a web page from where you will be able to download the full install ISO image of the Windows 10 version that corresponds to your Windows 7 or 8 version (7/8Pro - 10Pro, 7/8Home - 10 Home, etc).

After downloading the ISO, you can either burn it to a DVD or create a bootable USB drive.
To upgrade from the install media, boot up your PC as you normally do, with your old Windows, insert the install media (either DVD or USB) and run the setup program from it.

This is going to do the upgrade.

Once the upgrade is done, you can either continue using Windows 10 as it is, or you can boot the computer from the Windows 10 install media and do a clean install, by formatting the Windows 7/8 partition and installing Windows 10 instead.

Warning! You CANNOT install Windows 10 DIRECTLY from the install media. IF you do this, you are going to lose your old Windows installation and end up with a Windows 10 that needs a license to activate.
The upgrade must be done first!!!

The ISO install option is preferable if you have multiple computers. You download only once and use the ISO to update all your computers (even simultaneously by creating as many copies of the install media as you need).

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answer
Answer

Please be aware that you cannot use the free upgrade offer to perform a clean install on first attempt. You must first upgrade from the qualifying version of Windows 7 or Windows 8/8.1 (whether you do it through Windows Update or using the .ISO file). Ensure the upgrade is completed successfully and then ensure that it is activated. You can then proceed to do a clean install by using recovery media or using the Reset function in Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started).

Best,
Andre
Windows Insider MVP
MVP-Windows and Devices for IT
twitter/adacosta
groovypost.com

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.