Bitlocker in Windows 10 without TPM

I have a laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro and I've encrypted my drive with Bitlocker. My laptop does not have a TPM chip.

In thinking about whether to upgrade to Windows 10 when it comes out, I'm wondering if everything will still work. I've searched the questions and answers here and found seemingly contradictory answers. For example, this thread suggests that Bitlocker will require a TPM in Windows 10 (or is it just in the technical previews?) while this other thread says it won't.

So can I use Bitlocker in Windows 10 without a TPM? Is there an official answer somewhere?

Thanks and have a great day.

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

Question Info

Last updated May 24, 2019 Views 73,957 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I have a Dell Inspiron 3000 which was running Windows 8.1 Pro - without a TPM.  I used Bitlocker to encrypt the entire hard drive as well as several portable drives - without any problems or issues.  I upgraded to Windows 10 Pro and have had no issues so far with whole drive encryption.  Everything seems to work great.

Bitlocker seems to be the only really good way to do full disk encryption on Windows 10.   I'm disappointed that Microsoft did not make this a part of the Home version, but since they are giving W10 away they've got to make money off something.

29 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.