Elimination of Windows Media Center in Windows 10

Read the advisory that Windows Media Center does not exist in Windows 10.  Having used Windows Media Center as a DVR/PVR to record and watch over-the-air TV for many years, the loss of this feature will be devastating.  Is there an app compatible with Win10 that can replace the DVR/PVR capabilities of Windows Media Center?

The lack of Windows Media Center will keep me from upgrading to Win10 until Win7 is no longer supported in 2020, or Windows Media Center capabilities are added to Win10 or a better more user-friendly Windows version is released.  Win10 user oriented?  I think not.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Read the advisory that Windows Media Center does not exist in Windows 10.  Having used Windows Media Center as a DVR/PVR to record and watch over-the-air TV for many years, the loss of this feature will be devastating.  Is there an app compatible with Win10 that can replace the DVR/PVR capabilities of Windows Media Center?

The lack of Windows Media Center will keep me from upgrading to Win10 until Win7 is no longer supported in 2020, or Windows Media Center capabilities are added to Win10 or a better more user-friendly Windows version is released.  Win10 user oriented?  I think not.

I read about Windows 10 not including the Media Center........my question is will it include the Windows Media PLAYER?    If not, I do not understand what Microsoft may be thinking, as that program not being available, as the fellow said above, will be devastating to many of us who maintain a music library.   ?????????

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

This is just another reason why I will be sticking with Windows 7 Professional for the forseeable future!

My PC is the ONLY TV I use and I specifically picked up the version of Windows that I did for TV reception! I will NOT be switching to Windows 10 to actually use, but rather claiming my free "upgrade", zipping my current Windows 7 Professional installation to a backup I can easily rehash, and sticking with 7!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Now this is ridiculous! We have 4 Windows 7 desktops/laptops with built in TV cards, and 1 Windows 8.1 with external USB TV tuner. We all share TV across the network and watch TV on our schedule and not "theirs"

Is there any hope that we will be able to watch/record ANY TV content with win 10??

Where do these guys come up with progressive O.S's... and to think we had to pay for WMC for Windows 8.1...twice!

Is MS contributing to the demise of OTA TV?

Off the subject... We do not have the icon for Windows 10 in the right taskbar...just read 18 pages here and now not interested...

Isn't progress wonderful?

Upgrading to Window 7 was made so easy by MS with a downloadable program... "Advisor". Told you what would work, what to update after installation...for Windows 10 we have to mess with the command prompt...just to see an icon...like I said... Ridiculous!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sad also to see this go, my advice would get to download MediaPortal or Kodi as a replacement. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree!! This is exasperating and ridiculous. I was in I.T. Project Management, Systems Development and Application Development for 28 years. I appreciate the enormity and complexity associated with software development and deployment but it is unreasonable to ask people to commit to a product like WMC, maybe even the WMC Extender, and then discontinue it unless they pay extra for it. I'm on 8.1 and paid for the WMC update after moving from previous versions of Windows. I use WMC in my daily work for informational purposes and no support for WMC will delay my ability to move to Win 10 and cause further expense and hassle to replace this information source. I'm not sure what Microsoft is thinking but not everything that is done on a computer is "fun and games". Actual work is performed using some of the previously supported software/(hardware) and it should always be supported unless technically obsolete.      

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why is Microsoft killing off Media Center?  As with the other people on this thread, I have been using it for years.  This is a deal breaker for me.  If Microsoft abandons Media Center completely, I guess I will be heading to Linux.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, as others committed, I am unhappy with MS for not including Media Center in Windows 10. When MS announced it was no longer supporting MS Money it sent me a message and let me know that MS had worked with Quicken to provide a migration path. Is MS going to provide a similar recommendation for its Media Center users?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have been one of most loyal consumers of Microsoft product since Window 3.1.   I have have upgrade every time even when the new programs sucked like Windows ME but I still remained loyal.  I was even one of the people who had the Zune.  That is where my dislike of MS started because after the Zune ended I had no choice to go to the I pod.  I excepted it and moved on.  But this latest change is a slap in the face from MS to consumers.  You fooled me once with the Zune and now twice with Media Center.  You are not getting me a third time with Windows 10.  I was a first day Windows XP, 7, 8, 8.1, tablet, and phone user but Windows 10 can stick it.  I have already lost so much of productivity because of the lack of phone apps and including my bank stop supporting the Windows Phone app.  I am starting my migration to Apple because I can at least count on Apple to support their products for the life of the product.  I even regret getting Office 365 now.  I thought MS would finally get it together like apple in the end but it seems MS has no interest in that.  They just want to keep everything jacked up.  I have not been much a blogger in the past but will start one to night about the migration to Apple on the heels of Windows 10.  I hope Windows 10 is a huge fail and I will start with telling everyone not to even bother with 10 because it will suck just like XP, 7, 8, and 8.1.  Way to go MS for ruining a loyal consumer base because you think you know what the public wants.  I will preach to everyone I know not to switch or upgrade because it will not make a difference anymore.  Apple is the wave of the future and MS is seeing to it.  This is like apple saying that it is discontinuing the I pod because not too many people bought the latest model because they already had one of the older one already and it works fine.  I am pissed and MS better change it mind and soon because there is still a two months for all of us smart users to get the word out that MS 10 is not worth it and not to do it.  Maybe the people in China will fall for it but not us here in the US.  Bye forever MS it was a great ride but I am getting off at this stop.  Try pulling on without us.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree. No WMC = No windows 10. I'll stick with 7 until MS realizes their mistake. Come on MS, get this right.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Several years using Windows 7 mostly because of its Windows Media Center.

Who is the genius that wants to kill a perfectly working feature without offering a comparable useful replacement. Not to talk one that tinkers to make a better one eliminating known wrinkles?

Will you never learn from past mistakes Microsoft?

That stone that you keep tripping on has been eroded with your many frequent mishaps.

Mr Satya Nadella CEO:  please listen to your customer base, it would avoid you lots of trouble if you do before taking new decisions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated August 1, 2021 Views 2,678 Applies to: