Windows not activated after installing windows on ssd using windows 10 installation media tool.[SOLVED] see last reply for summary

I created an windows installer on an USB stick with the windows media creation tool. Then I installed windows on my SSD. I skipped the steps which ask for a product key and selected the option 'I am reinstalling windows 10 on this pc. Now I have the error 'Windows reported that no product key was found on your device'. I already tried several things on this forum but nothing works. 

Note that I can still boot windows on my other HDD, so I have installed windows 2 times on my laptop. 

Does anybody have an idea what to do?

Kind regards,

Joost

Downloading an installing Windows 10 is free but you need to buy a licence.

Are you saying Windows 10 on the previous HDD is activated. Did you get to select which edition of Windows 10 to install and did you select the same as was on the previous HDD.

Where did your licence come from (if you had one previously)??

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Joost,
I'm Independent Advisor not Microsoft employee or support person. I have deep enough Windows knowledge and you may trust me. It's a pleasure for me to help others and I'll do all my best to help you.

License agreement does not allow to have two installations simultaneously using one license unfortunately. Select the installation you want to use and remove another one. Then try to activate correct installation using your product key.
------------------
if you'll find someone's post helpful, mark it as an answer and rate it please. This will help other users to find answers to their similar questions.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Downloading an installing Windows 10 is free but you need to buy a licence.

Are you saying Windows 10 on the previous HDD is activated. Did you get to select which edition of Windows 10 to install and did you select the same as was on the previous HDD.

Where did your licence come from (if you had one previously)??

I bought the laptop second hand, windows was licensed and still is licensed on the other installation on my HDD, but now I also installed windows on my SDD using the Microsoft media tool. So I can boot two versions of windows, one from the HDD and one from SDD. I don't know if I selected the same version of windows, I just selected Windows Home (I assumed it was windows home).

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to check the edition when running the HDD to see if it shows Windows 10 Home or Pro. Settings > Update and security > Activation will give that info.

Also open PowerShell (Admin) enter slmgr /dlv press return, post a screenshot or quote the Description line, does it show retail, OEM or VOLUME channel. If it shows VOLUME I'm afraid that suggest a licence hack by the seller of the laptop. A laptop that was pre-installed with Windows 10 would normally be OEM.

If you have Windows 10 Home on the laptop HDD and the slmgr command shows volume channel that is definitely a hack as Home edition never uses a volume licence.

Windows 10 Pro can use a volume licence but only when supplied by a company for their employees and a personal user requires either OEM or retail.

If the HDD is Windows 10 Home and the SSD is Windows 10 Home then the SSD install should auto activate. If the edition is different then you installed the wrong edition, but a lot depends on the type of licence in use on the HDD.

A Windows 10 licence registers the device motherboard for activation so installing the same edition as a clean install on the original drive or a new drive will auto activate, if the licence is legal.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you guys for helping me. I followed your advice, apparently it is Windows Education. The command slmgr/dlv is not recognized, but for now I see no reason to assume there is a license hack. So if I format the SSD, install windows 10 again, but then select Windows education, this would solve the problem? 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you guys for helping me. I followed your advice, apparently it is Windows Education. The command slmgr/dlv is not recognized, but for now I see no reason to assume there is a license hack. So if I format the SSD, install windows 10 again, but then select Windows education, this would solve the problem? 

Or can I just reinstall windows on the SSD itself?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

That is your only option now to try and install that edition.

When you boot from the USB select Language > Install now > Custom install, at custom install delete each partition one at a time and when you have only unallocated space then select Next to continue. (it must be a clean install)

There may be other steps between Install now and Custom install.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, I will give it a try and report the result afterwards.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

SOLVED.

Summary:

-the problem: windows 10 was installed  on HDD. I reinstalled it on the SSD using the windows media creation tool on an USB stick, but the new installed windows was not licensed.

-the cause: I installed windows 10 home on the SSD while I had windows 10 education on the HDD. 

-the solution: I installed windows 10 again from the USB stick, this time selected windows 10 education.

Thank you @neilpzz and @Igor Leyko.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated February 6, 2021 Views 26 Applies to: