Windows Editions Suitable for Production Environments

I am a part of a startup and we are working on a project using Visual Studio Team Services. Our build server (for CI/CD) is going to be a Windows machine. I also want to use Hyper-V for a few Ubuntu VMs. The VMs will primarily be used as our Staging and BETA-Production environments. In the future, when we need a better production environment, we might rent out Linux VMs to some people we know. 

I know Windows 10 Pro and Windows Server include Hyper-V (Windows Server Essentials doesn't), but what types of use are allowed for Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro versus Hyper-V on Windows Server? Can we run a public web-server on a VM hosted on a Windows 10 Pro machine? Can we rent out Linux VMs on Hyper-V on Windows 10 Pro? What kind of licensing would that require?

We are running a Dell PowerEdge R710 as our primary server. Obviously Windows Server would be the best option, but we can't afford to buy the full retail Windows Server 2016 Standard edition. We also don't need all of the features that it includes. 

Thanks for your input. 

UPDATE:

Posted TechNet question as suggested: https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/49391560-d6ab-4eab-ae1d-dd399158fa04/windows-editions-suitable-for-production-environment-hyperv?forum=winserverhyperv

Question Info

Last updated August 11, 2018 Views 11 Applies to:
Great questions, but I think you will get way better support from the Hyper-v forum especially when it comes to licensing.
See link below for that forum.
Good luck :)

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-...

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,
Please. look at 2c (v) article of Windows 10 EULA. Seems you cannot use Windows 10 Hyper-V to hold software served another users regardless of is it for developing or for production purposes.

Sorry this didn't help.

I guess that answers the Windows 10 Pro question. Thanks!

Sorry this didn't help.