Windows 10 Education won't activate

So my university offers students software upgrades for free, and one of them was the Windows 10 Education deal, and since it included Excel, I decided to get it. I had Win 10 before, and being a dummy I did not back it up. I entered in the product key and got Excel, but I got a watermark saying "Activate Windows Go to Setting to activate Windows" on the lower right. This drove me nuts so I tried to get rid of it, and even reset my Laptop. 

When I tried to activate my Windows, it said my edition was Win 10 Enterprise, and that it could not be activated because "We can't reach a critical Windows service, Make sure you're connected to internet. Wait a few minutes, and try activating again. Error code:0x80070426"

I thought that by resetting I would be able to get my Win 10 back, but clearly I was wrong. Is there no way to activate my Windows 10 Enterprise or get my original Win 10 back? 

Answer
Answer
Hi Lazykaiju

This is a known bug in the Windows upgrade process, use this fix:

Open the Settings App (Gear icon on your Starr Menu)

Go to Update and Security - Activation

Click Change Product key

Enter this generic product key: YNMGQ-8RYV3-4PGQ3-C8XTP-7CFBY

When prompted, click 'Activate Product'

If the above does not work first time, temporarily disconnect from the Internet and click 'Activate' again . ..

(Note the generic key will cause Enterprise to downgrade to the Education edition, then your own legal licence will activate automatically after you restart (not shut down) your PC)

Power to the Developer!

MSI GV72 - 17.3", i7-8750H (Hex Core), 32GB DDR4, 4GB GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 256GB NVMe M2, 2TB HDD

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated April 13, 2021 Views 3,245 Applies to: