Where to email/mail ACCC complaint form

I am having some issues with windows activation.

Windows was activated fine earlier this week on my PC, unfortunately my motherboard failed so I had it replaced with a new one. Since then windows is unable to activate. I have attempted to work with the support agent however due to the original product box having being thrown away I am unable to quote the original key to him. I have my original proof of purchase however Microsoft support has refused to help me reactivate my legally purchased software.

I have spent several hours speaking to different people going in a loop. Clearly its time to get legal.

I have decided to contact Microsoft in regard to this matter as per the ACCC guidelines here in Australia and will likely ultimately take this through the small claims court system.

The first step here in Australia is to send a complaint letter. Having written it I now need to know where to send it.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/make-a-consumer-complaint
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/write-a-complaint-letter/complaint-letter-tool

New motherboard means a new computer and you need to purchase Windows 10 or have a retail product key that is transferable.
-----------
If this answers your question - Then mark it so. Then others may find it.
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Lacrumb,

I am not sure that this answers my question, I am looking for the legal contact to address my letter to.

I would prefer to allow a private discourse between myself and the Microsoft contact to happen first in an attempt to resolve this amicably.

Should that fail, I will further the ACCC process and defer to the judgement of the relevant court authority and their definition of new computer (likely in small claims court).

Given all of the other parts which make up the computer are the same, I would argue that this is a repair to an existing computer rather than being a new one given that the majority of its constituent parts are not new.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The key that Microsoft has set in the repair of a computer is that the activation of a computer is to the motherboard.  If you retain the motherboard and its components you can replace all of the other parts of the computer then you basically have the same computer.  The activation that is retained in the Microsoft servers is to the motherboard.
-----------
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Lacrumb,
Again, I am afraid that this does not answer my question, I am purely trying to "Contact the seller or service provider" as per the Australian Competition & Consumer Commissions 'Make a consumer complaint' guide.
https://www.accc.gov.au/consumers/complaints-problems/make-a-consumer-complaint

I understand that programmatically it is somewhat difficult to store hardware based fingerprints which persist between installs.
In this case its likely that its keyed into the TPM exclusively (The TPM typically resides on the motherboard or a daughterboard such as a JTPM or an HSM AIC) which is why it has happened when only the motherboard was changed.
All I am asking is to be provided with a contact method as per my legal rights under Australian law in order to "...have a record of your contact".

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

You need to contact some Australian people not the rest of the world.
We do not know Australian law.
-----------
---------------
Around computers
since 1952
lacrumb

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am well aware of that, I have spent several hours trying to follow the guide below with no luck:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-au/legalau/australian-consumer-law

I have called the 13 20 58 number multiple times in an attempt to get ahold of someone who is able to help me.
Each time the call has been ended by an automated system, either before reaching someone or while being on hold.
One of those times I was on hold for a while and the call center closed!

I have also tried using the automated call back system here but again they were unable to help me:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/contactus/

I am looking for the person to contact.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated March 22, 2024 Views 180 Applies to: