Upgraded motherboard and CPU, cannot reactivate Windows 10 Home. Error code 0xC004F211 and 0x80070057.

Please help me reactivate Windows 10.  

I upgraded my motherboard, CPU, and RAM. 

I cannot reactivate Windows 10 Home.  

I have a retail Windows 8.1 Home license product key.   And I received the free upgrade to Windows 10 home.  I don't think I have Windows 10 Home product key.  

These are the error codes I get.  I get error code 0xC004F211 on the Settings>Activation page.

I get error code 0x80070057 when I input my Windows 8.1 product key after clicking on "Change product key"

I am connected to the internet.  I have waited and tried again nearly 10 times.  

I received some assistance from Windows support and they determined that I had a "non core edition" error.  Then I was being transferred to technical support for 3 hours until I gave up and ended the call.  

Hi e. I'm Greg, an Independent Advisor.

When you first Upgraded it assigned a permanent Digital License for the PC in Microsoft Activation servers so that you can reinstall Windows 10 at any time, skipping the Product Key during install, and it will reactivate afterwards when you connect to the internet and it phones home to find your hardware profile confirming the Digital License.

The DL is also used to move the license to different hardware by signing into the Microsoft Account associated with it, then running the Activation Troubleshooter at Settings > Update & Security > Activation to see if it finds the license and offers to transfer it. This is explained further in this Microsoft document: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/20530/...

The problem may be that you tried to reintroduce the retail key instead. If you try to change the key from the generic version key (present when you install without a key) it will never activate or move the DL. Nor is the WIndows 8.1 Product Key used again after a DL is assigned, except by Microsoft Support if you cannot get the Troubleshooter to transfer the license.

If the Troubleshooter will not move the license, then you can contact MS Support at https://support.microsoft.com/help/4051701/glob... or at https://support.microsoft.com/contactus choose Get Help, then Contact Us toward the bottom, then answer Yes you can Sign In, then Select Product: Windows, then tell the Issue Activation, it should offer Messaging and/or a Call Back on week days.

As long as you have the retail key there should be no problem with moving the activation since you have the right to move a retail license wherever you want, and an Upgrade inherits the rights of the underlying retail key.

I hope this helps. Feel free to ask back any questions and keep me posted. I will keep working with you until it's resolved.

Standard Disclaimer: There are links to non-Microsoft websites. The pages appear to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the sites that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the sites before you decide to download and install it.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated August 17, 2021 Views 15 Applies to: