Activation after hardware change

Hi, I have switched the motherboard of my desktop and wiped the drives after checking I had a digital license on my account. When I tried to activate windows after the upgrade it won't let me. I'm getting the error code: 0xC004F213, saying there is no product key on my device. My device is connected to the same Microsoft account. Help would be greatly appreciated. 

Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. 

0xC004F213

A Windows license is associated with your PC hardware. If you make significant hardware changes, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows won’t be able to find a matching license the next time you start your PC. If Windows was preinstalled on the PC and you have made a change such as replacing the motherboard, you'll need a new license.

To purchase a new Windows license, select the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then select Go to Microsoft Store.  

If you have a Windows product key you used on your PC before the hardware change, enter it by selecting the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then selecting Change product key

In addition, Microsoft provides an exception path for transferring a Windows License after a hardware change. You’ll need to be signed in to the same Microsoft account before making the hardware change and to use the exception path.  

To access this exception path, select the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t resolve the issue, you’ll see a link to reactivate after a hardware change. Select it to follow this path. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello

The next links has information about Windows Activation.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/10738/...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/12440/...

Also you can open CMD as Administrator and write: slmgr.vbs /dlv

Is the problem continue, I'll recommend contact to Microsoft Support following the next link:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/contactus/w...

Select in your Issue: Activation and Product Key.

The best regards...

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Please refer following fix:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-activa...

Let us know if this helps!

Note: This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Helping Windows users, since 2010 · Please remember to mark replies as answers, if they helps!

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Activation depends on what type of license you have of Windows 7/8/10.

If Windows 7/8/10 came preinstalled with the computer, that is called an OEM license. For an OEM license, the license dies as soon as Motherboard dies. So essentially it is non-transferable. If that is the case you need to get a new license.

However, this is not same for retail licenses i.e. you purchased the license through Microsoft store. That does carry transfer rights. If that is the case, please see the below steps:

Run the activation troubleshooter on the new device using the below steps:
Go to Settings>Update and security>Activation and run the troubleshooter.
Select I recently changed hardware on this device.
Please note that Activation troubleshooter requires you to have digital license linked to Microsoft Account.

Alternatively, if that does not help, you would have to call Microsoft Support.
Contact Microsoft using the phone numbers below or use the chat support link(weekdays only)
https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/405170...

https://partner.support.services.microsoft.com/...

Please let us know if you need any assistance.
Sumit

Always include PC Specs, Make and Model of the device. Ensure all the latest quality updates have been installed. It may take multiple replies to reach a satisfactory answer.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Windows reported that no product key was found on your device. 

0xC004F213

A Windows license is associated with your PC hardware. If you make significant hardware changes, such as replacing your motherboard, Windows won’t be able to find a matching license the next time you start your PC. If Windows was preinstalled on the PC and you have made a change such as replacing the motherboard, you'll need a new license.

To purchase a new Windows license, select the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then select Go to Microsoft Store.  

If you have a Windows product key you used on your PC before the hardware change, enter it by selecting the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then selecting Change product key

In addition, Microsoft provides an exception path for transferring a Windows License after a hardware change. You’ll need to be signed in to the same Microsoft account before making the hardware change and to use the exception path.  

To access this exception path, select the Start  button > Settings  > Update & Security  > Activation , and then select Troubleshoot. If the troubleshooter can’t resolve the issue, you’ll see a link to reactivate after a hardware change. Select it to follow this path. For more info, see Reactivating Windows 10 after a hardware change

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated April 17, 2024 Views 7,970 Applies to: