Microsoft family features are asking permission to use Google Chrome

Google Chrome was working yesterday but now Microsoft wants me to ask permission to someone in my family through email.

I click "Ask by email" but they won't even tell you what email it sending permission to. I checked all my emails and I didn't receive

any emails by Microsoft.

Is there a way to remove the Microsoft family features and how do I know WITCH EMAIL THEY SENT IT TO

(sorry bad eng)

Question Info

Last updated August 24, 2019 Views 29,332 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Joshua,

To assist you better, kindly provide us more details by answering the following questions:

• Are you logged in as the administrator of the computer?
  • Is it happening on all the websites that you're trying to access using Google Chrome
  • Have you tried using different browsers? If yes, are you getting the same issue?

If you are using a child account, then probably the reason why you are having issues browsing the internet is that the parent account has set up restrictions on the websites that you can only visit. Regardless of the browser that you use every time you visit a website which is/are restricted, you will be required to ask permission from the parent. Only the parent account can remove the Family safety.

To learn more about Family Safety, kindly refer to this links:

Should you need further assistance, feel free to get back to us.

15 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

but what if you never put in a parent email at all anywhere in the account?

21 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

None of this works, I have the same issue. To make matters worse, my Microsoft account says that I was born in 1985, and asks me to get parental permission every time I attempt to access chrome. I have no family settings active, nobody has added me as a child to anything nor am I in any family account. It just tells me to get permission and then if I press on it I get an error message. So I am completely unable to use Google Chrome, I am not a child so why am I being asked for adult permission at 30+ years old?

Fix it.

46 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am having the same issues as above.  The Microsoft family features lock out came without me requesting it.  I have never used the feature or needed to use it.  Now I am locked out and I am the administrator on the account.  I did  try to email myself but when I tried to follow through, I received an error message also. 

What is going on Microsoft??!! And Chrome??!!  Tell us how to fix this problem!

19 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have this exact same problem to this day. I have never had parental controls set up for my account in the past. It was part of a Microsoft Family but no longer is. My account is under Adult, yet it still asks for parental permission.

And when I tap 'Ask by Email' it comes up with the following error:

I have tried removing myself from my family in family settings online. It had no impact on this problem. I have had this error since early January. Is there any way at all to fix it?

I had a look at the following link: Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions which was stated above by Monica Cam. None of this really seems to be answering my problem. Also on note that I use Windows 10 on a device that originally came with Windows 8, & I have only seen help for 7 & 8 on this page.

I have noticed the following on this page:

This should mean that your account can't be considered a Child account once it is set that you're age is over 18. So why does it ask for us to request permission to use Google Chrome?

I have also tried this. So why is this error occuring?

22 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem. I think the reason is because I changed my age on my microsoft account from under 18 to 18 and I have another account on my pc registered as an adult, so it send the email to that account. I haven't figured out how to solve this issue yet.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

this still doesn't help my computer still doesn't work, nor can I access Firefox

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried to access Chrome today on my computer, only for it to say that I need parental permission to access it. There is an option to email an adult in my Microsoft family, but there is no one else in it, and I am well above the age for a child's account.

Also, recently when I look at my Microsoft family, it adds me into a family with a random person. I leave, but later it happens again. I don't know what to do. I have looked up solutions, but nothing helps.

Thanks

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

[Updated]

If you are under 18 and you sign into an Xbox then it requires you to get a parent's approval. Due to an issue in our service this is also causing some parental controls to be turned on.

You will need to get your parent to unblock these browsers at account.microsoft.com/family. Once you turn 18, you can also leave the family which will turn off the restrictions, at the same site.

You can figure out which account your parent needs to use by looking at account.microsoft.com/family.

If you leave the family, it will take up to 24 hours for parental controls to be turned off on all your devices.

And the "Family Safety: Frequently Asked Questions" link -- that page is terrible and full of wrong information! I wish people would take that page down and stop sending the link!  The one for Windows 10 is https://aka.ms/famsafefaq.

https://aka.ms/famsafefaq
https://aka.ms/familyforum
Follow me on Twitter! @MSFTFamilyGeek

80 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same problem. These suggestions did NOT fix the problem. I am using a parent administrator account however whenever I attempt to open any browser other than Microsoft edge I am prompted to a window telling e that I must ask permission via email from a parent user despite being a parent user. Please get back to me on the issue and how I can fix it.

Thank you 

Sorry this didn't help.