How to add money to your Child's Account - Using Microsoft Family

Introduction

Microsoft Family allows you to control what your child(ren) is/are up to online, and on any Windows PC/Device - If they are on Windows 8.1 and higher, and using their own Microsoft Account.

You can do many things, like: managing time, seeing what they have been up to online and on the computers - including on the Xbox One. Throughout this article, I will be showing you how to add money to your child's account, so they can go and buy things from the Microsoft Store - either on Xbox One or on Windows 8.1 and 10. This is the best way to ensure they don't use your credit card, or bank details, and put you into debt whilst they go on their spending spree. It is also easy to do, and only takes a few minutes.

When adding money via the steps in this article, you are choosing to add a Gift Card to their Account. You can gift games if you want to. Learn more on how to do this here: 

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/05/10/pc-digital-game-gifting/

Details

First your child(ren) will need to be connected to your Microsoft Family, here: https://account.microsoft.com/family/

You will need to ensure your signed into your Microsoft Account, and that your signed in as a parent/guardian. After that, you will come to a page like this one.

On this page, you can view everyone in your Family. To add money, you need to go to the Add Money option under the child's account you wish to add money to. You can see where the option is, in my screen capture underneath.

Once you have selected that option, you will be taken to a new screen where you can select the amount you want to put on their account, from the options they present you. As seen below,

After you have selected your amount, please select next. It will then get you to confirm your bank details and banking information. You will need to select next/yes before it can begin to authorise the payment. Once the payment has been authorised, it will put the credit amount onto the child's account.

I hope this article has helped you, and now your able to put money on your child's account. The good thing about doing it this way, is they can use the money you give them to buy things from the Windows/Xbox store and they wont see your bank and billing information. Which means, they will not be able to use your bank details to go shopping, and can only use the money you give them.

For more information about Microsoft Family, please check their FAQ page here: https://account.microsoft.com/family/FAQ/

Was this article helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this article?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Wow I Didn't Know You Can Do This Cool

Learn More

2 people found this comment helpful

·

Was this comment helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this comment?

This is a rubbish system my grandson wants a game for £19.99 , why do I have to load his account with £25. I should be able to enter any amount not fixed amounts decided by Microsoft :-(

200 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

agree!  this is a way they get to keep a hold of our money - you are NOT a bank.  this should be illegal!  Fortnite game add on is £7.99 and you want £10.  

75 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The same for my mum, it's absolutely ridiculous. Whenever i buy something like a game or currency, she has to add 10 pounds which is more than i need. Microsoft need to fix this. Otherwise, they will be getting many more complaints.

40 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

The same for my mum, it's absolutely ridiculous. Whenever i buy something like a game or currency, she has to add 10 pounds which is more than i need. Microsoft need to fix this. Otherwise, they will be getting many more complaints.

Hey there, Mr5huck1e

This is by design. The idea is your applying a gift card to their account. Just like other services such as Amazon, iTunes and Google Play Store. Really, only three people have complained, you included. 

Parents can opt to gift the game if they don't want to apply a gift card to your account. More information is here: 

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/games/purchasing/help-for-issues-when-gifting-digital-xbox-game

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2018/05/10/pc-digital-game-gifting/

Regards, 

Volunteer Moderator | Xbox Ambassador | Win & Xbox Insider

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

6 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

It is poorly designed then.  I have the same problem.  My step son will get multiple gift cards and in amounts that are "off" from the values they are forcing you to select.  I agree that it is designed so they can retain the funds to escrow and get interest.  It should allow another option to enter a specified amount. 

They are not always gifting a game.  There are other things in the system that are not gifted and it is their money in some cases.  

27 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I put money in my child’s family account  to accept her request to

upgrade a typing program from the microsoft store.  It says the money was already redeemed and wont let her upgrade her game.  What should i do?

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the other folks on here who are asking for Microsoft to allow custom deposit amounts. This current system is essentially Microsoft making money from your money like a bank. Like someone else said, this should be illegal, or Microsoft should be forced to pay interest on the balances they are holding. I bet they would allow custom amounts pretty quickly if the government got involved and made them start paying interest. I'm going to send this to my MP actually - I think it should be looked at.

21 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I agree with the other parents who complained about the 'gift card' system.

It is a very crafty way to try and elicit more money from customers.

14 people found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I was able to add funds to child account.  But nowhere we could find a way to use the funds in a game.  Its asking for a redeem code but the added funds dont have a redeem code. It says “redeemed”.  

1 person found this comment helpful

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Forum Article Info

Last updated March 13, 2024 Views 10,677 Applies to: