Discussion

Windows 10 Creators Update - Windows Key + S - Search Crashes

Any time I do search it hangs and then crashes with the following error.  I have tried all the various "search" related topics solutions and nothing helps.

Faulting application name: SearchUI.exe, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbc95
Faulting module name: ConstraintIndex.Search.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x58ccbd05
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0000000000029cf3
Faulting process id: 0x39fc
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2b51ee6797ee4
Faulting application path: C:\Windows\SystemApps\Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy\SearchUI.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ConstraintIndex.Search.dll
Report Id: 2bc51516-a663-4e19-a16c-d42c1d849e44
Faulting package full name: Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_1.8.12.15063_neutral_neutral_cw5n1h2txyewy
Faulting package-relative application ID: CortanaUI

Windows 10 Version: 1703

Build: 15063.138

Hardware: Surface Pro 4 i7 16GB 256HD

Thanks for any help.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

This is still happening.  It happens in ALL search areas.  For example, searching in settings it will hang and then the whole window will disappear (crash silently).  Every time this happens I see the same common DLL in the event log.

Faulting module path: C:\Windows\System32\ConstraintIndex.Search.dll

I have ran the DISM.exe... I have done scan... I have deleted & rebuild of search indexes.  Same issue.

This has to be a bug in ConstraintIndex.Search.dll.

Windows 10 Version: 1703

Build: 15063.138

Hardware: Surface Pro 4 i7 16GB 256HD

Thanks.

Hello,

I had the same issue, same hardware, etc.

Here is how i fixed it - be careful we're going to mess with the registry!

• Confirm your search is working at all: Create a new user and check if search works. If it does, go on (with your old user where search does not work).
  • Backup RegKey: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
  • Delete the whole Key (including all sub keys + values)
  • Access the search (e.g. press windows key and try enter something)
  • Nothing will happen. Try this a few times, when it starts working again the key has been recreated.
  • Either import the backup or just use the new settings (which you may want to adjust)

Regards

@sneusse: you are a genius! If I swung that way I would kiss you!

I tried all the other solutions (SFC, DISM, PowerShell, etc.) and none worked until I tried yours. This has plagued my system for the last 2 days and I had never realised until now how a non-functional Search bar is crippling to Windows 10.

Thanks a bunch!

Glad I could help,

Cheers

Thanks Mate... This really helped!

I tried different stuff on the web for hours. This fixed it finally! :D

Rather than delete the "...\Search" key, simply hit F2 and rename it to "...\Search.old" and follow the other directions.

Worked like a champ!  Thank you!

Work great !

• Confirm your search is working at all: Create a new user and check if search works. If it does, go on (with your old user where search does not work).
  • Backup RegKey: Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
  • Nothing will happen. Try this a few times, when it starts working again the key has been recreated.

This worked for me. My issues were that in Windows 10, I could not type more than two characters into the Windows Cortana search box. On the third character it automatically closed the search preview completely. Thought it had a virus or malware (zero results for both scans).

Deleting this reg key (using regedt32.exe for those that don't know) worked straight away. Thanks.

Hello,

I had the same issue, same hardware, etc.

• Either import the backup or just use the new settings (which you may want to adjust)

Regards

I know this worked for others here, but when I tried it, it didn't work for me. I even updated my Insider version to make sure. No luck.

Luckily I DID find a solution. Here are the steps:

• Create a new user <NewUser>
  • Logout of affected <User>
  • Login to <NewUser>
  • Open explorer to:
    > C:/Users/<User>/AppData/Local/Packages
  • Rename folder (just add ".old" to the end): 
    > Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_<random-hash>
  • Log back into <User>
  • Try to search (It will act strangely at first, but will work after a minute)
  • Once confirmed working, delete:
    Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_<random-hash>.old

Thanks. It works like a charm

Discussion Info

Views: 2,571 Last updated: June 15, 2018 Applies to: