(updated) KB3163018 bug breaks search indexing of Settings applet

Can anyone else confirm this or am I missing something?  When KB3163018 is installed, fresh user profiles cannot search settings (like Windows Update) from the start menu or the Settings app.

To reproduce the problem:

1) Download the latest Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft's website.
2) Do a clean install like normal.  During setup, I chose Express Settings, I Own It, Skip Microsoft Account, and named my initial account User1.
3) Log in with User1, install all Windows Updates, and reboot.
4) Create another traditional user account, User2.
5) Log Out of User1 and Log In with User2.
6) Try to search for "update" in the start menu.  Notice that the start menu says "These results may be incomplete" and does not show any results. Open the Settings app and try searching for "update" in there.  Notice that the Settings app says "Search results aren't quite ready yet" and does not show any results.  Also notice that this folder is empty: c:\Users\User2\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings
7) Now, to fix the problem, uninstall KB3163018 and reboot.
8) Log in as User2 again and perform the same two searches.  They both return the correct results and work as expected.

I have spent several days testing this on two different Dell computers, a desktop and laptop, with clean installs of Windows 10 Pro, and both behave exactly the same.  If I skip installing update KB3163018 during step 3 above, I have no problem.  Or, if I later uninstall KB3163018, the problem goes away.

Can Microsoft or somebody please investigate this for me?  It really looks like a Microsoft bug, and I'm about to deploy 20 Windows 10 PCs.

Thanks!

Hi,

I would like to inform that we do not support the issues with Domain networks and suggest you to post the query in the link provided below.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?category=Windows10ITPro&filter=alltypes&sort=lastpostdesc

You can also provided your valuable feedback using feedback app.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-in/windows/preview-updates-feedback-pc

Hope this information helps.

Regards,

Guru Kiran

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Understood.  I did some more testing and was able to eliminate the Domain stuff.  Now, the problem happens without joining a domain, using only normal local user accounts.  I edited my original post accordingly.

Sorry this didn't help.

FYI, I am still having this problem as of March 28, 2017.

I have two brand new laptops.  On laptop #1, I installed all windows updates and then created a new user account, and the new user account FAILS to search.  On laptop #2, I immediately created the new user account and then installed all the windows updates, and the search WORKS on that first user.

I am positive there is a serious bug in Windows and I'm really surprised that Microsoft hasn't fixed this.  My workaround is to copy the en-us folder from a good user to the broken user, but I don't know if that workaround has any downsides that I'll run into later.  For example, if a new setting is created by Microsoft, I'd expect the working users to detect that new setting automatically, but the one that I manually copied files over might not detect it or be able to search for it.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 24, 2018 Views 531 Applies to: