No settings or control panel items in search.

When i try to search for something that i know is in either the settings screen or the controlpanel i get no hits.

If i go to the settings screen and try to search in the search bar there, i get no hits.

I have tried to run SFC /Scannow and tried to rebuild the search index without any results.

This is on a fresh install of windows 10 (Updated, then ran the reset option.)

Some screenshots for clarity:

Could there be some strange setting that is hidden that makes it so that search omits any entries in the settings screen?

It feels as if settings and control panel are completely omitted in search results...

Please help! :(

Question Info

Last updated October 17, 2018 Views 15,080 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

There must be someone out there with pointers to what i can try to further trouble shoot this issue...?

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What worked for me on Windows 10 - creating new user account, logging into this account, going to:

C:\Users\*YourCurrentNewUserName*\AppData\Local\Packages

From there, copying folder:

Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy (maybe letters in the end of folder name will be different on your system)

Going to similiar folder of another user, who has Search problem (still stay logged in as a new user!):

C:\Users\*UserWithSearchProblemName*\AppData\Local\Packages

Pasting Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy in this folder.

After pasting, there will be some alert windows - if you can't copy/overwrite some files, don't worry and ignore/skip them, however you should always choose to overwrite files if it is possible.

After this is done, you can logout from new user account and login to account, which had search problems.  Then maybe try restart and after that check if solution worked. Also maybe you should rebuild index (how? - that was explained in many posts here). Next you may just delete new user account created at the begining.

In my case, Search was damaged after using CCleaner+CCenhancer with options to clear Windows Store data (in that - Cortana data). Some people suggested to copy another folder - windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy, but this solution never worked for me, however somehow I was able to fix Search with copying all folders from mentioned Packages folder. Then I just tried to determine which folder should it be, and found that Cortana folder is a hit.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I found this new suggestion to be an intriguing one. However, I cannot test it, as I created a new user profile some weeks ago and deleted the apostrophe account this past Sunday. I can confirm that creating a new user profile allowed me to find things in the settings app, so I don't think any test which involves the creation of a new user profile confirms or disproves the apostrophe theory, in and of itself.

I do wonder if it has merit, though. I still wonder which upgrade caused Windows to pick up the user name of my stupid SkyDrive/OneDrive name, which included the apostrophe. Suspect Windows 8.

Sorry this didn't help.

I FOUND THE ANSWER. AFTER ALL THIS TIME. 

Navigate to C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState. 

Right click on the "Indexed" folder, click Properties > Advanced and check "Allow files in this folder to have contents indexed in addition to file properties". (if it is already checked, uncheck it, apply, and then recheck it and apply again.) 

Credit to this guy for the solution. Or rather, his friend, i guess. 

Ahhh, it's so nice to be able to search for settings again <3

Thanks, worked for me!

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you, this solution did work for me.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same for me. The box was already checked...no changes so far. Still getting "We're preparing search...".

Sorry this didn't help.

This was a similar situation to me and this gave me the clue to my solution.

The folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\ had a locale specific folder that was indexed. My installation was originally en-US and I had subsequently switched it to en-GB. Even though en-US was indexed it wasn't picked up. I renamed it en-GB, and now I can search for Settings.  (Rebooting causes the en-GB folder to be renamed en-US)

It seems as though although the results now appear in the search results now the immersive control panel doesn't accept the search result. 

If I duplicate the folder so that there is are en-US and en-GB folders then the search in immersive control panel works and the Cortana search finds the control panel but the option is not selectable.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem as OP. You aren't the only one, there are a ton of threads about this.

For instance I have World of Warcraft installed. When I do a search I only get web links. I have Word and Excel installed, neither are found but excel and word mobile in the store are found. If I search paint I see some store items and web links. It can't even find Control Panel. None of my self installed apps can be found.

I did a test and installed classicshell, I also have an SSD so indexing is disabled. That gave me back a Win 7 start menu with search at the bottom and it works, it finds everything even with indexing disabled, but I would rather use the Win 10 start menu.

The main problem seams that Cortana doesn't search for local apps and local search has been removed from the Win 10 start menu. At this point in time Cortana is just a fancy web search tool. This isn't a system corruption or indexing issue it is a programming issue that only Microsoft can fix.

Sorry this didn't help.

This was a similar situation to me and this gave me the clue to my solution.

The folder C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\ had a locale specific folder that was indexed. My installation was originally en-US and I had subsequently switched it to en-GB. Even though en-US was indexed it wasn't picked up. I renamed it en-GB, and now I can search for Settings.  (Rebooting causes the en-GB folder to be renamed en-US)

It seems as though although the results now appear in the search results now the immersive control panel doesn't accept the search result. 

If I duplicate the folder so that there is are en-US and en-GB folders then the search in immersive control panel works and the Cortana search finds the control panel but the option is not selectable.

This gave me some confusion, I didn't have an indexed folder. I checked another user and they did though. I just copied the folder and it worked.....  Maybe if I'd been more patient and let the index finish being rebuilt I would have gotten the folder back.  We cleared my appdata to try to solve a different issue and I think that may have been what broke it in the first place.
"Windows 10 excludes from index everything from the "AppData" folder, because it contains ever-changing temporary files which triggers re-indexing affecting system performance.

I worked around it by creating a shortcut of "C:\Users\...\LocalState\Indexed" in the folder "C:\Users\YourUserName". Minutes after that I observed that the Indexing Service started to add more items and after 15 minutes or so the problem was solved. 

Excuse my English. Anyone who wishes to rewrite this is welcome."

I should have noticed that, yes AppData is excluded from my indexing. I'm not sure how copying the file still worked but it did.

Sorry this didn't help.

Has this affected anyone's lets talk rather than bing searches

Sorry this didn't help.