Index search of settings doesn't work- i've found out why and a workaround

Kinda more a message to Microsoft AND to anyone else who may also be experiencing this issue. I've discovered a very annoying bug with Windows 10 Pro when trying to rollout to my place of work (60 PC's).

I noticed that when I first setup a PC with a local user account (before adding to our domain) everything with the Index search of settings/files etc worked fine. However, when I then joined a domain and add a new user account, the 'Settings' are no longer searchable. They do still work if you manually open settings and find what you're looking for. There's just no indexing of the settings at all. This made the setup and operation of the PC VERY slow and not user friendly. Being able to search the settings is ESSENTIAL. I tested this over 4-5 separate PC's and reproduced the exact same issue on all of them. I then spent over a week working with some guys trying to find the issue. 

The Issue:

This may only be related the UK language pack, so other users who default to other languages may not have the same problem

Windows saves the 'settings' for searching in the user profile - the location is:

C:\Users\userprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings

Under the above should be your default language directory (in my case - "en-GB") and within this a list of ALL the available 'Settings' to be searched. However, this language pack and list of settings is NOT getting created for new users, ONLY the very first user profile created in Windows 10. The result is that you've got no settings indexed to even search for!

My current workaround solution:

I've lost nigh on a whole weeks' work figuring this one out so I hope it helps and I hope microsoft read this as I've tried to contact you to advise, but no-one is interested in taking my call unless I PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!

1. Make sure you've got 1 profile that IS working, then go to C:\Users\workinguserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\ and copy the folder within here ("en-GB" for example) to a shared part of the PC that you can access from any profile
  2. Create a new user (i've only tested this on domain accounts as its work related)
  3. Check to make sure settings AREN'T working (wait at least 3-5 mins after logging in before testing this)
  4. Go to  C:\Users\newuserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings and it should now be empty as it hasn't copied the language pack 'settings' for this profile
  5. Copy the folder and contents from step 1 into this new profile location
  6. IMPORTANT - We now need to re-index the above folders. Otherwise - your settings will now show but they won't work when you click on them, so.....
  7. Go to  C:\Users\newuserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\ - right click on 'Indexed' and go to 'Properties' and click 'Advanced' button
  8. Deselect the 'allow files in the folder to have contents indexed....' and click ok and choose apply to subfolders and files too
  9. Right click the 'Indexed' folder again like in step 7 and select to checkbox you just unchecked. It will now properly index the files you'd copied from another profile
  10. Not sure if you need to, but restart the PC, login, wait 2 mins for the service to kick in for search (it has a delayed start) then try out to see if you can now search and select from the settings.

My guess is that there's some kind of corruption or file permission issue in the UK Language pack meaning its not creating this directory properly with new profiles on the PC. Either way, this is a very frustrating issue that's taken me ages to resolve. I'm delaying my rollout of Win 10 in the business until I get some kind of notification from Microsoft that this is an issue and will be fixed.

Discussion Info

Last updated November 8, 2019 Views 8,258 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

We're experiencing the same issue here.

Windows 10 v1511 is deploying via MDT

The administrative user during deployment gets all the necessary files under C:\Users\userprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\en-US

I don't have any language packs installing, but I do have the Norwegian keyboard configured

All subsequent users have empty folders instead

I'm not getting the Search to work in Cortana, File Folders, or any of apps except Outlook email seems to do a word search.  When I type Troubleshooting in the Settings panel I get, "Search results aren't quite ready yet, but we're working on getting them together.  Try back in a few minutes."  Who is "we" and how long is a few minutes?  It hasn't worked for days!

You managed to get anywhere with this? I've tried to contact Microsoft to discuss this, but there's no-one who will take my call and no-one from Microsoft has looked at or acknowledged this post either.

I'd love for this to be acknowledged and a new ISO image for Win 10 released that I can test on a new PC. I'd then continue my rollout of Win 10 that I've not delayed indefinitely.

Afraid not - I can't seem to figure out what's going on. I've been test deploying to a VM and cannot figure out the pattern

A few times if I deploy an image with MDT, no programs installing and no updates in the task sequence, the start menu works, but not every time

But if I have updates or programs installing as part of the task sequence, it never works.

Not good.

I've been manually rolling out some new PC's with Windows 10 (they came as Win 7 downgrades) and I've realised that if I use the very 1st version of the WIn 10 image (so the 1st release from July last year) then do all the windows updates from this point, the Windows 10 seems to work fine! This just verifies to me that the problem is with the latest images from Microsoft.

Maybe try this yourself with the oldest Win 10 image and see if you get the same result?

Just as you replied I was about to edit my original post to say, I just rebooted the latest VM attempt to try some other fixes.

I had Office, net35 and acrobat installed during the MDT sequence; no updates with WSUS - and now the settings app is searchable in all new accounts.

I then installed all updates, then logged in under a new domain account: settings app is not searchable.

I'm now using a system restore point created before updates were applied, so will see if that returns things back to normal

So it seems only two updates are being installed after a fresh v1511

I tried blocking each in turn, and it seems after installing 3140768, any new accounts have a broken search function.

Can block this update and confirm? You can use this to block/hide an update http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-windows-updates-hide-show-windows-10-a.html

So it seems only two updates are being installed after a fresh v1511

I tried blocking each in turn, and it seems after installing 3140768, any new accounts have a broken search function.

Can block this update and confirm? You can use this to block/hide an update http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/8280-windows-updates-hide-show-windows-10-a.html

I've already installed all the PC's and they all seem to be working fine since I used the 1st ever Windows 10 image instead of the latest one, so I cannot easily replicate your steps to see if I get the same I'm afraid.

I can confirm that after updating from my static .wim sitting @ 10586.104 to just now, 10586.218 any new account that is created after the CU install, AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\

is completely empty. So it does not allowing searching of any items from control panel or the new settings interface. This has probably broken all deploymens in our envoroment now for new accounts.

Looks like we'll be halting deployment, unbelievable.

Not good. What is your default Language Pack that you're using on this rollout? I've only seen this when using a UK (not US) language pack by default. If its doing it for US too - i'm hopeful Microsoft might actually acknowledge it! Still no-one will take my call or even give me a department to call about this issue without the privilege of me having to PAY THEM.