Kinda more a message to Microsoft AND to anyone else who may also be experiencing this issue. I've discovered a very annoying bug with Windows 10 Pro when trying to rollout to my place of work (60 PC's).
I noticed that when I first setup a PC with a local user account (before adding to our domain) everything with the Index search of settings/files etc worked fine. However, when I then joined a domain and add a new user account, the 'Settings' are no longer searchable. They do still work if you manually open settings and find what you're looking for. There's just no indexing of the settings at all. This made the setup and operation of the PC VERY slow and not user friendly. Being able to search the settings is ESSENTIAL. I tested this over 4-5 separate PC's and reproduced the exact same issue on all of them. I then spent over a week working with some guys trying to find the issue.
This may only be related the UK language pack, so other users who default to other languages may not have the same problem
Windows saves the 'settings' for searching in the user profile - the location is:
Under the above should be your default language directory (in my case - "en-GB") and within this a list of ALL the available 'Settings' to be searched. However, this language pack and list of settings is NOT getting created for new users, ONLY the very first user profile created in Windows 10. The result is that you've got no settings indexed to even search for!
My current workaround solution:
I've lost nigh on a whole weeks' work figuring this one out so I hope it helps and I hope microsoft read this as I've tried to contact you to advise, but no-one is interested in taking my call unless I PAY FOR THE PRIVILEGE!
- Make sure you've got 1 profile that IS working, then go to C:\Users\workinguserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings\ and copy the folder within here ("en-GB" for example) to a shared part of the PC that you can access from any profile
- Create a new user (i've only tested this on domain accounts as its work related)
- Check to make sure settings AREN'T working (wait at least 3-5 mins after logging in before testing this)
- Go to C:\Users\newuserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\Indexed\Settings and it should now be empty as it hasn't copied the language pack 'settings' for this profile
- Copy the folder and contents from step 1 into this new profile location
- IMPORTANT - We now need to re-index the above folders. Otherwise - your settings will now show but they won't work when you click on them, so.....
- Go to C:\Users\newuserprofilename\AppData\Local\Packages\windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy\LocalState\ - right click on 'Indexed' and go to 'Properties' and click 'Advanced' button
- Deselect the 'allow files in the folder to have contents indexed....' and click ok and choose apply to subfolders and files too
- Right click the 'Indexed' folder again like in step 7 and select to checkbox you just unchecked. It will now properly index the files you'd copied from another profile
- Not sure if you need to, but restart the PC, login, wait 2 mins for the service to kick in for search (it has a delayed start) then try out to see if you can now search and select from the settings.
My guess is that there's some kind of corruption or file permission issue in the UK Language pack meaning its not creating this directory properly with new profiles on the PC. Either way, this is a very frustrating issue that's taken me ages to resolve. I'm delaying my rollout of Win 10 in the business until I get some kind of notification from Microsoft that this is an issue and will be fixed.