Cortana Connected Home - Insteon skill - hubs, devices, features, and commands.

Cortana Connected Home is promising new feature. This discussion is intended for users to share their knowledge and experience with this feature to the broader community.

1.) Cortana Connected Home - Insteon Hubs

Cortana Connected Home is enabled with Insteon Hub model 2245-222, NOT 2242-222 or 2243-222.

A.) The following Insteon Hub models are enabled to work with Cortana Connected Home:

• Cortana Connected Home is enabled to work with Insteon Hub models which are certified to work with Amazon Alexa.
  • Insteon Hub model 2245-222 is enabled to work with Cortana Connected Home.
    • 2245-222 is also known as:
      • Hub2
      • Insteon Hub (2014)
    • 2245-222 is available either standalone, or as part of various Insteon starter kits which are certified to work with Amazon Alexa. Some examples are:
      • 2244-234
      • 2244-372 
  • You will first need to configure the 2245-222 hub using the Insteon for Hub app, which is available via the Windows Store, IOS or Android.
  • Once you have your devices discovered on the Hub, you can connect to the Insteon service via Cortana Notebook -> Connected Home.
    • Under "Connected Home" select "Enable."
    • Connect to the Insteon service, loging in with your credentials
    • Cortana will then discover whatever devices have been previously discovered on the 2245-222 hub linked to your Insteon account.
    • To add new devices, first discover and configure them on the 2245-222 hub, then return to Cortana Notebook -> Connected Home, and Cortana will automatically perform device discovery again to check for new devices. 

B.) The following Insteon Hub models are NOT enabled to work with Cortana Connected Home:

• Insteon Hub model 2242-222 is NOT enabled to work with Cortana Connected Home (or Amazon Alexa).
    • In Build 1709 Cortana Connected Home will NOT inform you that the 2242-222 is not compatible, and will show the Insteon service as "Connected."  
      • When initially attempting to connect using a 2242-222, Cortana will respond with "Something went wrong. Try again later."
      • However, after the initial "Try again later" message, the Insteon service will actually show as "Connected," and will perform period device discovery without generating any error messages. 
      • However, Cortana will respond to any Insteon related commands with "There are no devices for me to control."
      • Note: The Amazon Alexa Insteon Skill discovers the 2242-222 in a disabled state, and provides a notice that the 2242-222 is not supported, and recommends updating to the 2245-222
    • Model 2242-222 is also known as:
      • Insteon Hub (2012)
    • Model 2242-222 was sold standalone through around 2014 but was discontinued.
    • However, the 2242-222 is reported to be included with certain Insteon Starter Kits which are still being sold online, such as:
      • 2582-222

• Insteon Hub model 2243-222 is designed for Apple HomeKit, and is NOT enabled to work with either Cortana or Alexa.
    • Model 2243-222 is also known as:
      • Insteon Hub Pro
      • Insteon Hub for HomeKit
      • Insteon Hub (HomeKit Enabled)

2.) Cortana Connected Home - Insteon Devices

Insteon Device compatibility chart:

Insteon Device Model Windows 10 (Build 1709) / IOS 11 Harman Kardon Invoke
2486D KeypadLinc Dimmer v.2D (x01x09x00) Success* Success*
2486D KeypadLinc Dimmer v.26 (x01x09x26) Success* Success*
2486DWH8 KeypadLinc Dimmer v.2C (x01x0Cx00) Success* Success*
2486DWH8 KeypadLinc Dimmer v.2C (x01x0Cx2C) Success* Success*
2486DWH8 KeypadLinc Dimmer v.35(x01x1Cx35) Success* Success*
2334-2 KeypadLinc Dimmer v.43 (x01x42x43) Success* Success*
2476D SwitchLinc Dimmer v.27 (x01x01x27) Success Success
2476D SwitchLinc Dimmer v.35 (x01x01x35) Success Success
2476D SwitchLinc Dimmer v.37 (x01x01x37) Success Success
2457D2 LampLinc v.41 (x01x0Ex41) Success Success
2856D2 Icon LampLinc 2 Pin v.38 (x01x07x38) Success Success
2475S In-LineLinc Relay v.33 (x02x10x33) Success Success
2845-292 Hidden Door Sensor (Rev 1.5) Fail Fail
2450 IOLinc v.36 (x07x00x36) Fail Fail
Compacta EZIO 2x4 Insteon I/O Controller v.92(x07x03xFF) Fail Fail
2441V Thermostat Adapter v.95 (x05x03x95) Fail* (Cortana acknowledges command, but thermostat not updated) Fail* (Cortana acknowledges command, but thermostat not updated)
2441TH Success Success
2441-222 Fail Fail

*For Insteon KeypadLinc 5 or 8 button controller devices, Cortana Connected Home only controls load on/off (button 1 and 5 in five button mode, and button 1 in eight button mode). This is similar behavior to the "Insteon for Hub" app. The remaining buttons are controller buttons, and normally only act as responders in scenes where the backlight status of a particular control button has been programmed to sync to the on/off status of a target responder scene/device linked to that control button. Backlight status linking can be established manually, or via a more advanced controller system such as the Universal Devices ISY series. (The ISY series is not enabled with the Cortana Connected Home Insteon skill, but can be used in parallel to a 2245-222 to provide more advanced automation, programming and connectivity, with basic Cortana connectivity being provided via the 2245-222.)

3.) Cortana Connected Home - Insteon-related commands

A.) Scenes: Cortana Connected Home does not currently support Insteon scenes, but you can group devices by prefix instead. 

• Cortana Connected Home currently only discovers and controls Insteon devices, not Insteon scenes. 
    • Cortana Connected Home on the Harman Kardon Invoke will group device commands by prefix, which can be used to create pseudo-scene. Prefix grouping had some limitations in Windows 10 (Build 1709), but has a robust implementation as of Build 1803. 
  • Note: Amazon Alexa and Google Home can control Insteon devices and scenes using a Universal Devices Home Connect account, but this requires a Universal Devices ISY Insteon controller and a yearly fee. 

B.) Rooms: Cortana Connected Home will group on/off commands by prefix. 

• Cortana Connected Home will group device names by prefixes such as "Kitchen," "Dining Room," Living Room," etc.
  • Cortana will then assume that the word "Lights" is not necessarily part of any device name, but rather a postscript to a command such as "Hey Cortana, turn off the [device name] lights," or "Hey Cortana, turn off the [$room] lights," where $room= all devices starting with the same prefix (e.g. "Kitchen," "Dining Room," etc.).
    • In Windows 10 (Build 1709) and older IOS 11 builds, this behavior worked with the singular postscript "light" instead of the plural "lights." 
    • In Windows 10 (Build 1803) and current IOS app, this works properly with the plural "lights."

Command  Windows 10 (Build 1803) / IOS 11 Harman Kardon Invoke
"Turn [on, off] the lights." Success Success
"Turn on all the lights."  Success Success
"Turn off all the lights." Success Success
"Lights [on, off]." Success Success
"Light [on, off]." Success Success
"Set the lights to [n] percent." Success Success
"Set the light to [n] percent." Success Success
"Dim the lights." Success Success
"Dim the light." Success Success
"Dim lights." Success Success
"Dim light." Success Success
"Dim the lights by [n] percent." Success Success
"Dim the light by [n] percent." Success Success

“Are the kitchen lights on?”

[Device Name = "Kitchen Lights" or "Kitchen"]

Fail (Cortana will recognize the device, but respond with "I can't query your devices yet.) Note: This command is explicitly provided by Microsoft one of three featured example commands for the Insteon service: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cortana/skills/featured/insteon

Fail ("Actually, I can't query your devices yet.) Note: This command is explicitly provided by Microsoft one of three featured example commands for the Insteon service: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/cortana/skills/featured/insteon

“Is the kitchen light on?”

[Device Name = "Kitchen Light" or "Kitchen"]

Fail ("Let me check. I can't query your devices yet.) Fail ("Actually, I can't query your devices yet.)

“Is the Kitchen Table on?”

[Device Name = "Kitchen Table"]

Fail ("Let me check. I can't query your devices yet.) Fail ("Actually, I can't query your devices yet.)

"Turn [on, off] the Kitchen Lights."

[Device Name = "Kitchen Lights".

Success. Turns [on, off] device "Kitchen Lights.

Success. Turns [on, off] device "Kitchen Lights.

"Turn [on, off] the Kitchen lights."

[Device Name = "Kitchen"]

Success. Turns [on, off] device "Kitchen."

"Turn [on, off] the Kitchen Light."

[Device Name = "Kitchen," "Kitchen Cabinets - Lower"]

Success. Turns on all lights named with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Turns on all lights named with prefix "Kitchen."
"Turn [on, off] the Kitchen Lights."
Success. Turns off all lights named with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Turns off all lights named with prefix "Kitchen."
"Turn [on, off] the Kitchen."
Success. Turns [on,off] device "Kitchen." Success. Turns [on,off] device "Kitchen."
"Set the Kitchen lights to [n] percent."
Success. Sets all lights named with prefix "Kitchen" to 50% dimming level.  Success. Sets all lights named with prefix "Kitchen" to 50% dimming level. 
"Set the Kitchen lights to [n] percent."
Success. Sets all lights named with prefix "Kitchen" to 50% dimming level.  Success. Sets all lights named with prefix "Kitchen" to 50% dimming level. 
"Dim the Kitchen."
Success. "Turning down kitchen" lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Dim the Kitchen lights."
[Device Name = "Kitchen," "Kitchen Cabinets - Lower," "Kitchen Overhead," etc.]
Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Lower the Kitchen lights."
Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Lower the Kitchen."
"Turn down the Kitchen lights."
Success. Lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. "Dimming Kitchen lights" raises dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Turn down the Kitchen light."
Success. "Dimming Kitchen light" lowers dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. "Dimming Kitchen light" raising dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Turn up the Kitchen."
Success. Raises dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Raises dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Turn up the Kitchen lights."
Success. Raises dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen." Success. Raises dimming level of all lights with prefix "Kitchen."
"Raise the Kitchen lights."
"Raise the Kitchen light"
Inconsistent/unexpected. Turns on all lights with prefix "Kitchen" rather than raising their dimming level. (When you say "turn up the Kitchen lights," Cortana responds "Raising kitchen lights" and increases the dimming level, but if you say "Raise the kitchen lights" she turns them on instead.) Inconsistent/unexpected. Turns on all lights with prefix "Kitchen" rather than raising their dimming level. (When you say "turn up the Kitchen lights," Cortana responds "Raising kitchen lights" and increases the dimming level, but if you say "Raise the kitchen lights" she turns them on instead.)

"Turn [on, off] the Dining Room Lights."

[Device Name = "Dining Room Lights" or "Dining Room."

Success Success
"Turn [on, off] the Dining Room Lamp." Success Success
"Set Thermostat to [n] degrees."
"Set Thermostat to [n] degrees." Success Success
"Make it [warmer, cooler] in here" 

Success with 2441TH.  In Heat or Cool mode, [raises, lowers] set point by 2 °F. In Auto mode, changes the Heat/Cool set points based on logic that requires further testing and analysis to properly explain, but which shows initial indications of having been designed to respond differently based on various room temperature scenarios. 

Success with 2441TH.  In Heat or Cool mode, [raises, lowers] set point by 2 °F. In Auto mode, changes the Heat/Cool set points based on logic that requires further testing and analysis to properly explain, but which shows initial indications of having been designed to respond differently based on various room temperature scenarios. 
"Set thermostat to [warm, cool]." Success Success
"Set Thermostat to [n] degrees."

Success with 2441TH

Fail with 2441V.

Fail with 2732-222.

Success with 2441TH

Fail with 2441V.

Fail with 2732-222.

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Wow this is awesome Ted! I have scoured the internet for what the commands are and how they work...Why is this info not anywhere easy to find, so great job putting this all together!

I will be attempting to mess around with this from my Cortana on Xbox, Surface and iOS...Don't have the invoke or alexa devices yet...I will post back with my feedback...

So far it seems like I can get On, Off, Dim, Raise/brighten to work but just all or nothing... If I use your chart and try "Turn on Kitchen Light" or "Lights" it just brings up search results even though the only 2 lights I have are labeled as "Kitchen" prefix in the Hub app for Devices.

-Derek

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Oh wow this is so helpful

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why dont they have this on xbox yet would make so much sense with kinect... i have them in every room and already listens for hey cortana...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thermostat command works with Insteon thermostat non heat pump.  It will however only command the thermostat that the hub has set as default for temp values. it will work for on off commands on each one.  I have not tested the wireless module.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Excellent! I will add that to the table. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Excellent point. Have you submitted that as a suggestion via the Insider Hub? I would certainly upvote that. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks!

Not sure why "Turn on Kitchen Light" won't work for you, as it works for me on Invoke, Windows 10 and IOS. "Turning on Kitchen Lights" however still only seems to work for me on the Invoke, and still fails in Windows 10 and IOS, bringing up a search or setting a reminder instead. 

What are your specific device names with the "Kichen" prefix? I'd like to try to replicate that.

Thanks again!

-Ted

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Thermostat command works with Insteon thermostat non heat pump.  It will however only command the thermostat that the hub has set as default for temp values. it will work for on off commands on each one.  I have not tested the wireless module.

What is the model number of your Insteon Thermostat non heat pump? 2441TH?

Also, what commands have you gotten to work? So far I can only get it to respond to "Make it [warmer,cooler] in here" and "Set thermostat to [warm,cool]." 

Thanks Batman!

-Ted

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/363186--new-ideas/suggestions/32564590-please-bring-connected-home-commands-to-cortana-on

Leta all upvote this!  I have an invoke on the way now anyway but would still like this...they also really  need a way to deal with mutiple hey cortana devices in similar proximity.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Why doesn't Cortana "Connected Home" work with Xbox One. I hate using Amazon and Google products when I have an Xbox One with Kinect which is always on. This seems like a simple fix.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated October 27, 2020 Views 4,024 Applies to: