Can not type in Cortana, calculator, and setting search bar.

Searched, and found this http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_cortana/cant-type-in-windows-10-search-bar/7dce8411-8671-4d3e-90d1-b9bdc0aa4734?auth=1. For some builds before 14371 this bug only happens after updating to the new build, which is easy to fix by the link above. But since b14371 it constantly appears, even when I just keep the computer running without shutting down.

Please fix this, it is really annoying when you have to restart your PC in the middle of your work just to be able to type in Start Menu and calculator again.

Hello Tien,

I would like to know some information about the issue so that we could help you better.

• What is the make and model of your computer?

• Since when are you facing the issue? Did you make any changes prior to the issue?

Method 1: I suggest you to run the Hardware Troubleshooter. It is an automated tool which checks the hardware connected to the computer for any known issues and provides the details on how to fix them. Follow these steps to run the troubleshooter.

• Type Troubleshooting in the search bar and press “Enter”.
  • In the “Troubleshooting” window, click on “View All” on the left pane.
  • Click on “Hardware and Devices”.
  • Click on “Advanced” and then click on “Run as Administrator”.
  • Click “Next” and follow the on-screen instructions to complete the troubleshooting process.

Method 2: Try to use the on screen keyboard and check if you are able to type.

• Press Windows key + R

• Type osk in the text box and use it.

Let us know if you are able to.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi,

My PC is a custom build desktop, Gigabyte GA-H81N, i7-4790, GTX 960, 8GB crucial ballistix.

The changes have been happened since somewhere around Monday. Some changes I made, as far as I remember are:

- Install some updates for Xamarin Studio

- Install Tortoise SVN version 1.9.4

- Remove virtual memory of a secondary partitiion, but kept virtual memory of the primary boot partition

- Install some games on Steam and Origin (Crysis 3, COD Black Ops 3)

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Tien,

Thank you for sharing the information with us. I suggest you to perform a system restore to an earlier date prior to this issue: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/windows-10-recovery-options

• In the login screen, hold the “Shift” key and click on power icon and click on Restart.

• Click on Troubleshoot>Advanced Options.

• Click on System Restore and follow the prompts to restore the system.

Also make sure that your system is up-to-date. Most of the issues are fixed by installing Windows Updates. Type Windows Updates in search bar and select Check for updates from the results. If updates are available, try installing them and check.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted with the updated status.

Thank & Regards,

SuJata Moktan.

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated October 25, 2019 Views 983 Applies to: