[Windows10] bing/cortana pop ups "get help with file explorer in windows 10"

Hello Microsoft,

I am on Windows 10 and a couple times after turning on my PC I have experience this random bug but I cannot confirm if it's hardware or software related because both times I just rebooted my PC once it occurred. Basically what happens is any interaction with my mouse or keyboard will launch the default browser and give an automated string of text from cortana to search bing. It will repeat and give the same search results for "get help with file explorer in windows 10"

If anyone can duplicate these results please comment below.

I think it might be a keyboard shortcut outputting but?

Here are the results:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=get+help+with+file+explorer+in+windows+10&filters=guid:%22ab1a4ac2-b65c-491f-a689-fa5e4930c76b%22%20lang:%22en-us%22&form=S00028

Image:

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

I suggest you to follow the below methods and check if it helps.

Method 1:  You may try running the Hardware and Device troubleshooter and check if it helps.

a. Press Windows Key +R, type Control Panel.
b. Type troubleshooting in the search bar, click on troubleshooting.
c. Click on Hardware and Sound, click on Hardware and Devices.
d. Follow the steps from the wizard to run the troubleshooter.

Method 2: I would suggest you to follow these steps to troubleshoot the

1. Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.     
  1. Click File > Run New Task.
  2. Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges
  3. Type “CMD” without quotes and click on OK.
  4. Type the following 4 commands at the CMD prompt:
    dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
    sfc /scannow
    powershell
    Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
  5. Close the CMD window.

Hope this information was helpful and do let us know if you need further assistance. We will be glad to assist.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Microsoft,

While booting up my PC again today, I encountered this same random bug. It was very unpleasant following the guide while this issue was present but for the best results I charged through it and even recorded videos. (below for links)

Method 1: I was unable to complete as no operation with keyboard or mouse would allow it.

Method 2: I was unable to complete because of app "CortanaUI and ShellExperienceHost" did not close. (relaunched on their own even when end task in task manager.

Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy

ShellExperienceHost_cw5n1h2txyewy

NEXT:

This bing/cortana bug seems to happen every other Windows10 boot because I rebooted my PC and I was able to successfully complete Method 1 and Method 2 with no issues. SADLY I do not think it fixed anything and I am positive this issue will arise on it's own again.

Note: while rebooting a slight flash on the screen before restarting indicated that windows can not shut down because of DDE.exe

VIDEO RESULTS: (please watch)

Method 1: https://www.mediafire.com/?xd5xfb17x6v74c5

Method 2: https://www.mediafire.com/?ycbd4qi61ngut41

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Same here! Windows 10 Pro x64 1511.

Suspect explorer.exe being the culprit, if not a pseudo one kidnapped by some malware, because after logging in, any interaction with the system, like trying to open file explorer, control panel, etc., or simply clicking anywhere on the desktop would trigger infinite browser popups of the Microsoft web page [Get Help With File Explorer in Windows 10], or Bing search results thereof.

The continuous popups consume system resources so quickly that the user would barely have any chance of doing anything about the issue. If the user by luck could succeed in opening Task Manager, then ending the browser process would halt the popups. However, any further interaction with the system would retrigger the issue, effectively overwhelming any attempt to investigate or fix. Hereafter, the popups would sometimes become the Technet web page [Object Picker UI].

Searching the internet for knowledge of such an issue has been fruitless, perhaps due to lacking idea what keywords should be used. Meanwhile, reinstalling the OS seems to be the only workaround.

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing your concern on Microsoft Community.

As the issue still persists, I suggest you to try the below steps and check if it helps.

Method 1: Perform a full system scan using Windows defender.

Refer to the below link to perform full system scan using Windows defender:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/windows-defender-offline-faq

Method 2: Perform Clean boot.

A clean boot is performed to start Windows by using a minimal set of drivers and startup programs. This helps eliminate software conflicts that occur when you install a program.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Note: Steps mentioned for Windows 8/8.1, will work fine with Windows 10.

Disclaimer: Please go through the section: How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot of the Kb article to boot the computer in normal startup after fixing the issue.

Hope it helps, reply to us with the status of your issue. We will be happy to assist you.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Method 2: I was unable to complete because of app "CortanaUI and ShellExperienceHost" did not close. (relaunched on their own even when end task in task manager.

Try killing explorer.exe first.  End task, not the Restart option.  If PowerShell is already running you can switch to it using Alt-Tab--just like old times in W3.1.    ; )

Note:  if you don't get all the tasks started that you need before killing explorer.exe you can use PowerShell or cmd.exe or Task Manager (via Ctrl-Alt-Delete if necessary).  None of the other keyboard shortcuts will be available then because they depend on explorer.exe.  Ditto for any suggestion about using the Control Panel (which would include that method of starting troubleshooters).  I'm not sure if we can start troubleshooters as  MSDT  files without explorer.exe.  I suspect not.

Hmm...  here's a hint in case it is possible

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/add-ons-are-not-disabled-in-iexploreexe-extoff/34413336-24c7-4d46-8c4d-821b2e01044b

Alternatively if you boot in safe mode and have to log in as an administrator I imagine that a lot of this stuff won't be able to run anyway.  E.g. supposedly it can only run when the user is in normal mode with UAC on.

BTW I have not been able to view your videos.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

6 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated September 24, 2020 Views 9,532 Applies to: