Windows 10 Search Bar will not accept text or open when clicked, and explorer bar runs slowly

I recently updated to windows 10 and everything seemed fine. However the search bar (the one in the explorer bar or tool bar at the bottom of the screen) when clicked on becomes illuminated in a lighter white or grey but does not allow me to type into it and no search menu comes up when I click on it. This can be very frustrating especially when I am trying to find a setting that has been moved after the update. The other issue with the explorer bar (toolbar)  is that all of the menus i.e. wifi, notification, sound, battery, take forever to launch when clicked on. sometimes if I haven't clicked on them in a while, they refuse to launch when clicked on!

Interestingly enough the start menu functions just fine (although it lags too).

Has anyone else experienced this or know of a way to fix it? 

I would prefer to not have to wipe my computer and re install from scratch. I am a student, and I don't have time for that! ;) 

Hi Sam,

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooter and refer to the article mentioned below which will give you a clear idea about indexing and searching.

Method 1:

For “windows search is not running" let's run the search and indexing troubleshooter and check:

a) Hold Windows key + X.

b) Click on Control Panel.

c) Click on troubleshooting and click on view all.

d) Now check for search and indexing troubleshooter and click on it

Indexing and Search: Frequently asked questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-index-faq

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Write to us if you have any other issue. We will be happy to assist you.

Thanks!

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Sam,

I suggest you to perform the following troubleshooter and refer to the article mentioned below which will give you a clear idea about indexing and searching.

Method 1:

For “windows search is not running" let's run the search and indexing troubleshooter and check:

a) Hold Windows key + X.

b) Click on Control Panel.

c) Click on troubleshooting and click on view all.

d) Now check for search and indexing troubleshooter and click on it

Indexing and Search: Frequently asked questions.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/search-index-faq

Note: Applies to Windows 10 as well.

Write to us if you have any other issue. We will be happy to assist you.

search and indexing troubleshooter is not and option under troubleshooting in my settings - updated anniversary Win 10. This just started on my system. I suspect that it has to do with my strict privacy and ad-block settings. It's not a problem for me - I can use Firefox for searches - but if Microsoft wants Cortana and Bing/Edge used at all, don't turn them off. Am I correct; is it my privacy settings?   

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated January 28, 2021 Views 873 Applies to: