Windows 10 indexing selects wrong drive

I recently upgraded Windows 8.1 to 10 Pro.  Before I upgraded I cloned my 8.1 onto a new HDD.  I then replaced the 8.1 drive with the cloned drive and upgraded to Windows 10.  After the upgrade I put the 8.1 drive into the second HDD slot.  So my C: drive is Windows 10 and my D: drive is Windows 8.

Windows 10 will not index my C: drive.  No matter how I setup the indexing options it always wants to index the D: drive.  I even disabled indexing on the D: drive.  Here is a screen shot when I check to index the C: drive:

You see that it includes the D: drive.

I click OK then click Modify and now both C: and D: are selected but only D: shows up in the included locations.

All suggestions welcome.

Question Info

Last updated November 9, 2019 Views 4,163 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

I had the same problem after upgrading to Windows 10 and it nearly drove me nuts. I eventually came up with a workaround though: Instead of assigning a drive letter to the second drive, one can assign it a mount point folder within the first drive's directory tree. That fixed the issue for me.

Update 2016-08-28: Desite being marked as "Answer", the workaround I described in this post is far from ideal. For example, drives mounted within other directories will be excluded from the Windows File History, which is a big drawback IMO. Instead, see my post below for a proper fix for this issue.

16 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.