STOP forcing us to use CORTANA!

A new windows update and now MS is FORCING us to use Cortana. Who cares if we don't want to? The customer service reps will tell you "It's part of Windows now" - like that explains it. What is WRONG with the Product managers/Directors/VPS who are charged with making Windows better?  Has Microsoft learned nothing from the disaster that was launching Xbox One with Connect in the box? Customers don't want to be FORCED to use, or pay for, features, software and hardware that they DON'T want. 

Yes, I know there's money to be made in data mining, but at what cost?  Consumer satisfaction be damned? When will MS learn? Why take away the OPTION to turn the feature off? certainly, it's not to make the consumer's experience better, regardless of what the paid customer service reps have been instructed to say.

When I'm using Windows on my work machine, I DO NOT need Cortana to pop up friendly messages asking me if I want help finding a restaurant. What I really need help with is how to turn Cortana off for good.

The only ray of sunshine I got from the customer service rep when I contacted MS about this issue was: "if enough people complain, maybe they'll put the option back in in a future update."

I have Windows Pro on one machine, so I can use GP Edit to turn Cortona off (allegedly). On my other machines, I'll have to edit the registry. Yeah, I know. MS says don't edit the registry, it could be bad. You don't want me to edit the registry? Why not stop forcing unwanted features on me and giving me no other option?

I'm very unhappy about where windows is going. It seems like every update brings new totalitarian "features" that MS claims are "to make the Windows experience better." Yeah, better for them, at the expense of the consumer - not better for the users who find themselves having to play around in the registry because all other options have been eliminated.

Lad

|

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

I agree. I hate cortana with a passion!!! Disabling it will stop a lot of other features from working. The Apple store is looking more and more tempting with each update.

48 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

On pc it is possible to nuke cortana, pc world has an article/guide. That's what I did on my only W10 pc (my other 3 will stay on W7). The i nvasiveness of MS really shows their PRISM side. Very Brave New World.

19 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I hate Cortana!!!

Microsoft has lost whatever hope or trust I had in them in the last few years.  I have a dozen or more apps on my computer that I either do not want, can't use, or don't even know what they do.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have v.1709 and I never see or hear anything from Cortana. I just went on the web and learned how to disable the extra features - Microsoft shows us how to do it - so now I use Cortana only to search locally.

In general, whenever I have a question or issue with Windows I go on the web and look for an answer. With experience you learn how to distinguish between sources that know what they're talking about and crackpots who post garbage. Then I take what I've learned, implement it, and go on with my life. This is much more satifying in the long run than busting my guts in public forums. With apologies to Billy Joel, I'd rather laugh with the saints than cry with the sinners.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

In the last several years, particularly since Window 8 was squeezed out of MS's sphincter, I've not found a single Microsoft help page that was correct.  I've also not received a single response for help from a Microsoft source that was correct.  The problem is many of the help files are created with a program and other pages are just plain out of date.

The issue isn't necessarily with "cortana", the issue is that people no longer trust MS.  I used to blissfully use the latest version of whatever product I needed.  Not anymore.

MS switched its programming environments to the .NET approach about 18 years ago.  They still have not created any way to actually learn anything beyond the bare basics.  I've tried several times to modernize my programming skills and get into using the .NET environment.  I can find dozens of websites and books that cover the basics but NOTHING that goes beyond the basics.  I've come to this very community to ask for help a number of times, the response is almost invariably a version of "you're an idiot, you the wizard".  First using a wizard doesn't teach me anything, second, I most certainly can't tell my customers, "Oh, just use the wizard!".  Usually this is accompanied by a lecture about how I'm wasting my time trying to "learn" what I'm trying to learn.

I've even found a couple books written by long time IT professionals that are concerned that programmers are no longer being taught how to program, that programming courses in college are very basic, leaving potential graduates completely unprepared for the real world.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Cortana here doesn't make any extra actions.  I use Cortana for reminders & package delivery schedules.  Occasionally I'll ask her, hows the weather by voice.  I've set things up apparently so Cortana relays my android notifications, which works out nicely.    I have the tips enabled but she never tips me.
~
Microsoft Bob came back after a 20 year makeover, and with a new name. Cortana!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have v.1709 and I never see or hear anything from Cortana. I just went on the web and learned how to disable the extra features - Microsoft shows us how to do it - so now I use Cortana only to search locally.

In general, whenever I have a question or issue with Windows I go on the web and look for an answer. With experience you learn how to distinguish between sources that know what they're talking about and crackpots who post garbage. Then I take what I've learned, implement it, and go on with my life. This is much more satifying in the long run than busting my guts in public forums. With apologies to Billy Joel, I'd rather laugh with the saints than cry with the sinners.

I completely get what you are saying.  It's an approach I've used in the past.  But I think the time has come for MS to start listening to customers.  I shouldn't have to resort to Google every time Microsoft updates windows and I most certainly should not be forced to edit registry entries.

I've gone to the database entries about me on MS's website and cleared them but those are only what they'll let me see.

I'm just sick of them shoving whatever piece of garbage they want onto my computer.  I have apps that I don't even know what they do.  Of course none of them have any helpful information included with them.  

I don't have a cell phone or smart phone or ipad, I just have my two computers.  I don't need them to sync and I don't need Microsoft keeping records about them.  I don't have a Camera so I certainly don't need a "Camera App".  The Calendar and a couple others might be useful but I'm certainly not going to log into a freaking Microsoft Account to use them.  OneDrive is a constant annoyance, can't turn it off, though I've received two completely different completely inaccurate sets of instructions from MS on how to disable it.  I now have two versions of OneNote on my computer.  The instructions I received from MS to correct that problem were completely inaccurate.

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated June 30, 2021 Views 1,610 Applies to: