How to disable Cortana, Edge and more 100% guaranteed!!!

This is the easiest way as of now to permanently stop Cortana and Edge ( I only disabled Edge cuz the lack of security)...

Right click Start Menu, open task manager, go to Cortana right click and open file location Re-name it with .old at the end of it. A box will open up saying can't close cuz it is running. Drag that box close to task mgr. and end task Cortana and quickly hit try again (this is NECESSARY as Cortana turns back on within 3 seconds) Once you get it before Cortana turns back on you will NOT see it in task mgr. anymore, and will NOT open if you click on it in Start menu. You will have to re-do this after one of the Windows 10 system updates,  this method works 100% guaranteed so now your memory is freed up for a faster PC AS IT SHOULD BE!!!! After I did same to Edge I went to control panel/Default Programs and set whichever browser you use. I set mine for IE 11. This HAS to be done through control panel as if you try to in settings it won't allow to change it.... Microsoft should ALLOW Administrator to disable anything or end task as in Windows 7 etc. BUT they chose to control you and your OWN personal PC. Cortana may be OK for cells (like Siri for IPhone) and Tablets, but I have no need for it on my laptop....

Hope this helps everyone who wants their PC to run as fast as it should.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

My PCs and laptops run just fine with Cortana (Search indexing) going on in the back ground. Sounds like you had other issues on your system causing the constant slowdowns.

I would not recommend anyone to do what you are suggesting to their systems.

I'm an IT Tech and all my computers, friends, Family and customers are much happier with what I did to their PC's and ALL say it is much more responsive than it was after Windows 10 update. Everyone has their own preferences and I respect your opinion, but Cortana uses up 47-51% of memory open your task mgr. and sort by memory you will see. I also installed AdBlock Plus for web surfing and it is a lot faster loading pages. It blocks Adchoices in which it is on almost every page and with Cortana not set right for privacy, the ads will show things you searched for or even after I was browsing E Bay, those items were being advertised. Like I said if I was using my cell or a tablet I wouldn't mind Cortana I'd just make sure privacy settings were set right. I posted this for the thousands of people have asked me, and this is the easiest way. I didn't want to get into registry editing or Power Shell options cuz that is how people could screw up their PC. This will NOT harm your PC in any way, all it will do is speed up your PC.

I'm an IT Tech and all my computers, friends, Family and customers are much happier with what I did to their PC's and ALL say it is much more responsive than it was after Windows 10 update. Everyone has their own preferences and I respect your opinion, but Cortana uses up 47-51% of memory open your task mgr. and sort by memory you will see. 

I haven't yet seen Cortana using anything like that much RAM. Are you saying you see it using several GB?

Cortana uses up 47-51% of memory        

On all my systems Cortana uses less than 50MB.

Yes and like I said everyone has their own opinion to keep or not. I understand you say it doesn't affect your computer's performance, I am using an Asus with Intel I7, 12 GB Ram etc... and after I disabled, all 100 GB of Internet speed were definitely being used, AND after I installed AdBlock Plus https://adblockplus.org/  opened my homepage (MSN.com) all Google Adchoice were blocked and loaded 5 to 10 times faster. Also if you haven't already have it, I recommend downloading WOT Web of Trust  https://www.mywot.com/ for safer browsing. Most sites are rated, you can rate any site you believe is safe for adults and children separately. Also in your searches each link will have a green, yellow or red circle next to it, kinda like a stop light... I think it was the best add-on ever made for the web. Anyhow I hope you don't take anything I post offensively, I am just stating facts on my research to make everyone's PC to run as it should and most importantly SAFE. I have 1 Anti-Virus and 2 anti-spyware, plus I have a double Firewall so I CAN do my research and find what's safe and what isn't, for my own PC and expanding my knowledge for Virus removal jobs. I am kinda like your username I like to help anyone and everyone... Have good night Peace out...

Yes and like I said everyone has their own opinion to keep or not. I understand you say it doesn't affect your computer's performance, I am using an Asus with Intel I7, 12 GB Ram etc... and after I disabled, all 100 GB of Internet speed were definitely being used, AND after I installed AdBlock Plus https://adblockplus.org/  opened my homepage (MSN.com) all Google Adchoice were blocked and loaded 5 to 10 times faster. Also if you haven't already have it, I recommend downloading WOT Web of Trust  https://www.mywot.com/ for safer browsing. Most sites are rated, you can rate any site you believe is safe for adults and children separately. Also in your searches each link will have a green, yellow or red circle next to it, kinda like a stop light... I think it was the best add-on ever made for the web. Anyhow I hope you don't take anything I post offensively, I am just stating facts on my research to make everyone's PC to run as it should and most importantly SAFE. I have 1 Anti-Virus and 2 anti-spyware, plus I have a double Firewall so I CAN do my research and find what's safe and what isn't, for my own PC and expanding my knowledge for Virus removal jobs. I am kinda like your username I like to help anyone and everyone... Have good night Peace out...

You said it is using 47% - 51% of MEMORY. Is it or is it not using that amount of RAM as you state? That's the statement we are interested in.

My pc specs:

Dell Precision m6600 mobile workstation

16 GB 256 ssd 256 ssd 128 m.2 ssd

Nvidia Quadro m3000 sli  Clean install

Attempting to install 16215 ...no luck

Hello Dynamite,

On attempting to install:

15063- NG because of Cortana (7 hours)

16293- NG because of Cortana (10 hours)

16215- NG because of Cortana (  9 hours )

Everything else loaded fine up to the final stages where Cortana takes over. The furthest i have gotten is to the Cotana "network tab"

I can do all these final tasks manually but in i am locked in to Cortana.

Thanks Dynamite for helping me out,

jkokes

No problem I have seen thousands of people asking this question and also all my customers. So I posted this because I saw others saying to disable it through settings and also using command prompts or editing the registry. I can do all that but most people would end up screwing up the operating system so this was the easiest way for anybody to disable if they want and I also disabled Edge because of the security issues now if I had a phone or a tablet I would probably use Edge just because you can draw on it my laptop is not a touch screen so I have no use for that even if it was Secure glad I could help and the other two links I put on here a for quicker and safer internet surfing

You said it is using 47% - 51% of MEMORY. Is it or is it not using that amount of RAM as you state? That's the statement we are interested in.

yes approximately 47% to 51% I'm not exactly sure how much at this moment because I cannot see it on task manager since it's disabled but when I did see it it fluctuated between 47 and 51% when you open task manager you'll see how much it is using by sorting it through memory. Either way it does slow down your computer and compromise your privacy in which Google was the number one personal information collector until Cortana came around and Google still collects information and put it into their ad choices so whatever you search for or say you're on eBay looking for something that will start posting in adchoices use the 2 links I put in and that will disappear and you will have a safer internet with WOT and Adblock Plus

yes approximately 47% to 51% I'm not exactly sure how much at this moment because I cannot see it on task manager since it's disabled but when I did see it it fluctuated between 47 and 51% when you open task manager you'll see how much it is using by sorting it through memory. Either way it does slow down your computer and compromise your privacy in which Google was the number one personal information collector until Cortana came around and Google still collects information and put it into their ad choices so whatever you search for or say you're on eBay looking for something that will start posting in adchoices use the 2 links I put in and that will disappear and you will have a safer internet with WOT and Adblock Plus

Task Manager doesn't display percentages for each item in either the Processes or the Details view. In the Processes view you get one percentage and a bunch of actual amounts in use. In the Details view you get the actual amount.

Where did you see a percentage of memory used by one application?

Discussion Info

Last updated August 4, 2020 Views 2,314 Applies to: