Cortana Shutdown,Restart command

I am on Windows 10 version 1703 (Os Build 15063.296)

I want to set Shutdown and Restart voice command for Cortana. I have made shortcuts of 'Shutdown' and 'Restart' in  C:\Users\Patel\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs

But when I say to Cortana "Open Shutdown" or "Open Restart" Cortana always open browser and find about Shutdown and Restart 

I have also tried to change path of shortcuts as C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs but nothing change. "Open Settings" commands also open browser. Cortana cant't open apps.

When I manually double tap or open shortcuts the Shutdown and Restart works.

Is there any solution?

Question Info

Last updated June 21, 2019 Views 1,422 Applies to:

Hi Patel,

For us to have a better view of your issue, please confirm the following:

• Were you able to set the settings you want in Cortana before?
  • When did you first encounter this issue?
  • Are you getting any error messages when performing the action?
  • What troubleshooting steps have you done so far?

We will be waiting for your response.

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Patel, I used the same method as you and it has worked flawlessly for several months now. Until microsoft broke it last week.

I found a workaround. I had a shortcut for a program I rarely use, join.me, in my startmenu/programs folder. I changed the target of this shortcut to C:\Windows\System32\shutdown.exe -s -t 00 rather than the actual program it used to open. Now i just say "open joinme" and it shuts down the machine. I then tried renaming the joinme shortcut "shutdown" and it again broke so i had to put the name back to joinme. 

This is very annoying as to me it seems like microsoft is trying to break the ability to use cortana to shut down the machine without adding the real functionality. When I ask cortana to "shut down the computer" it tells me to wait for this feature in a later update. I don't want to wait for a feature i have already been using for the last year. Microsoft, please do not break this workaround again, it really sucks having to get up and shut down the computer when I am across the room. I will admit, I can be very lazy sometimes but I use a win10 machine in my bedroom to watch netflix. When I am done watching for the night, I simply ask cortana to shut off the computer so i do not have to get out of bet and turn it off myself. Yes this is pure laziness and sure it only saves me a few seconds, but it is a great feature especially in the winter when i do not want to leave my warm cocoon of blankets and walk across the cold room just to accomplish a simple task that a robot could easily do for me. Shutting down the pc is the only thing i actually use cortana for because since you purposefully broke the ability to use chrome and google as my default cortana search engine, the results i get are laughably unusable. The other week i asked it for the hours of a local restaurant and it came up with something in France (i am in the USA). I opened google, hit the mic and asked the exact same question and it gave me the correct hours. Sorry for the ranting, but microsoft please stop gimping one of the coolest features of windows 10.

I hope my fix works for you as well.

7 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Acelyn,

• Yes I am able to set Cortana settings but I never use 'Shutdown' or 'Restart' command.
  • I tried it first time at yesterday 
  • There isn't any error messages but always open browser(Edge)
  • I have tried with rename shortcuts.change path,speak with or without mic,train Cortana to recognize my voice.
  • Other command like "Open Google Chrome" "Open Calculator" are works fine.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thanks,

'Join me' command works, when rename it other didn't work. Why ?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Patel,

Good to know that you're able to resolve your concern by using Join me command.

The reason why it didn't work when you rename the command is because this feature is not available on the recent update. We suggest that you wait for this feature on the future updates, or you can provide your feedback using the Feedback Hub to make sure that our developers will be able to roll this out for future updates.

When you submit a feedback item we gather additional details and information about your issue that will help determine what's causing it and address it. Feedback items regularly receive Microsoft responses on the submissions in the Feedback app so you can see what we are doing about your feedback. Please revisit frequently to see the status of your feedback items.

In order to submit a new feedback, please follow the steps below:
    1. On a Windows 10 device, search for "Feedback Hub" in Cortana search, then launch the app.
    2. Navigate to Feedback in the left menu, then press + Add new feedback.
    3. Select the Problem, and share any details you think are relevant, and choose an appropriate category and subcategory.
    4. Important: If possible, reproduce the problem(s) after clicking Begin monitoring (or Start capture) near the end of the form; Stop monitoring when you're done.
    5. Once you've completed the form and monitoring, click Submit.
    6. Click Continue using Feedback Hub.
    7. Click My feedback at the top, then find the item you submitted (it may take a while to appear).
    8. Open the item you submitted, then click Share.
    9. Click Copy link, then paste the link here in your response (it will look like https://aka.ms/<unique link>).

Thank you for your understanding.

Sorry this didn't help.