Where is the Pin for "Projecting to this PC"

I have enabled to require PIN before projecting to my PC screen works. 

When I try to share the screen from my Samsung phone, a pop up comes up and askes me for a passcode? where is the passcode? Supposedly in another thread here it is the same as for WiFi Hotspot setup on Windows 10, which is not true.

So where can I find that PIN? Can you guys make it even more harder to hide all the necessary settings? I mean, we can for sure scatter them even further apart so no one will ever find what they are looking for ;)

The incompetence factor at Microsoft is unbelievable!!!

Used the useless "Get Help" app to find help maybe there. I mean can't be that hard to ask the question for a Microsoft support member? 

Well, it is!!! The agent's first answer was how to turn the PIN off. I know how to do that, I don't need an agent for that. But I clearly asked how I can find out that PIN and not how to turn it off. So I told him that I want to know the PIN and I want PIN protection. Then he sends me a link to a third party website, again explaining how to remove PIN protection.

After that, he transferred me to Tier 1 support. 

There I was on hold forever. (By the way, I am still waiting for the call back from my tier 2 support inquire! It was a different issue and the first agent promised me a call back within 4 hours. She asked me, because it was already late in my timezone if I can receive a call within 4 hours. I told her that I will stay up so I can fix my issue. You can guess what happened! No call back at all. The next day, after a few hours of sleep I used the get help again and talked to another agent, who then promised me the Tier 2 callback is within 24hours and not 4 hours. Guess what?! Its now 48 hours, and not call back! The incompetence level is raising every hour at Microsoft support! I know they are just humans, but one is lying better than the other. These issues are constant. I have many issues with Windows. They started with Win 3.1 all the way up to Win10 now. None of the issues got ever fixed. Congratulations Microsoft for the most useless support in tech-history!)

Anyway, back to this issue: While I was typing all this, I am still on hold. 

Gave up after being on hold for over an hour in the chat. Terrible support

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Seriously? Nobody Knows? Dont worry guys, I got to talk to someone from Microsoft, at least thats what he told me. Probably just a call center agent. But they dont know either. All the resources he had, he couldnt figure it out either. 

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Does that also happen when projecting from a different source, or is it a Samsung feature?
An open mind doesn't mean that information is coming and going without leaving an impression.

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi PeterReinold

I have been having a play myself to see if i can find a resolution.

first check that the device is not in the blocked or allowed device lists

Settings -> system -> projecting to this PC

click "launch the connect app to connect to this PC"

press ctrl+S

if the device is in either list, click on it and it will be removed

press Alt+F4 to close the connect app

attempt to connect from the phone

you should  see a notification like this, in the bottom right of the screen

select allow once and click OK

the PIN will generated by windows 10 and displayed full screen (you will need to use Alt+F4 to close it this window)

enter the PIN into the phone as requested.

[I found that if you use always allow, it only sometimes gives the notification (if at all) and only after a few minutes (bug??) so i suggest only using allow once]

each time you connect a new pin will be generated

I will keep an eye on this thread, please let me know how you get on

Give back to the community. Help the next person who has this issue
by indicating if this reply solved your problem. Click Yes or No below.

13 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for writing to Microsoft Community Forums.

I appreciate the efforts taken by you in resolving the issue. I understand that you do not receive the PIN when trying to project the PC screen. I’ll certainly assist you with the issue.

Adding to the suggestions of Martmcd (mod), one of the things I would suggest you is to try disabling the PIN option and check if the projection is successful. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1.     Press Windows logo key + I to open Settings.

2.     Click on System and then click Projecting to this PC.

3.     Under Require PIN for pairing select Never.

Try projecting the screen and check.

If you are able to project the screen after disabling the PIN, you can try enabling the PIN option and check. The PIN will be displayed in the Connect app, as shown in the Screenshot below:

Let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Nikhar Khare

Microsoft Community - Moderator

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Oh this is one of the most buggy features of windows 10. They just programmed the connect app, so that they have one. The app is bad. Can only quit it with alt+f4 or task manager. 

I also found that if the message shows up where it asks to allow a device and then it opens the connect app. A pin will never be displayed.

However if you open the connect app first and then try the feature the pin will be displayed but only after i messed with group policy settings.

Why do i have to mess with group policy settings for such a simple feature. The chat agents tell me to just disable pin, well its an added safety layer and its there, so it should work or not?

Thats where i am right now...

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for replying. 

I certainly understand that the Connect app doesn't work for you as it is supposed to. One of the things, we can do is to try reinstalling it and check if that helps. To do this, refer the steps mentioned below:

1. Press Windows logo key + I, to open Settings.
  2. Click on Apps and select Apps & features from the left pane.
  3. Now, click on Optional features, look for Wireless Display from the list, click on it and select Uninstall.
  4. After uninstalling it, click on Add a feature, look for Wireless Display from the list, click on it and select Install.

After reinstalling the app, try using it and check if the issue persists.

We await your response. 

Regards,

Nikhar Khare
Microsoft Community - Moderator

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

why does nobody really read what i am writing? Why am I even writing anything here as nobody really tries to read and understand it. 

The Microsoft Connect App is just cheap ****. Again, the programmed something so they can say they have the feature but it doesn't really work well. I have pop up notifications from Windows telling me where to change the input settings for the connect app, however the "spot" where the pop up sends me too, doesn't exist as it describes. Again the connect app does is job, but sub-optimum. I wrote in my previous post what I had to do, to get it to work. And nobody at Microsoft was able to figure that out. None of the phone support or chat support members.

Again! The app is just crappy in general. Microsoft needs to improve. All the agents told me to never require a PIN. If the pin option doesn't work right, why even putting it in there? Typical Microsoft!

Also reinstalling a faulty product on your end, wont fix anything, as i just install the same faulty product again. My computer is as bad as Microsoft programs it. So reinstalling wont help!

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated May 11, 2024 Views 15,682 Applies to: