Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive ( Create Factory Default Backup )

Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive ( Create Factory Default Backup ) - Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )   

I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 (pre-installed) , on my "ACER Aspire E1 472P- 6491" laptop  by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 . I do not  have a  Windows (8.1 or 10) product key , as the Windows was pre-loaded on the laptop . 

Now I want to make a " Windows10 Recovery Drive ", which can be used later to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot or to reset/troubleshoot any problems on Windows10 .  Accordingly I tried to Create Factory Default Backup   via Control Panel ( Backup & Restore )  option, but I found that it is meant for Windows 7 .  

1.0  Firtly I am surpised as to why Backup & Restore is meant for Windows 7 only , when I have upgraded to Windows 10 already . In fact  I have upgraded to Windows 10 from Widows 8.1 ( not Windows 7 ), then why it is taking me back to Windows 7 ?   Can I  not  create a  Recovery USB Media/Drive  Backup   for Windows10 for future use , after I have upgraded to Windows 10 ?  If not , then how to make a Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive . 

2.0  Further ,  I tried to Create a  " System Repair Disc" backup . But it says " System Repair Disc " could not be created , as my laptop does not have a CD/DVD burner . But why I can not have a backup on a USB flash drive ? My laptop does not have a CD/DVD burner .

3.0  Susequently , I tried to create a Recovery Drive  , via  Recovery " under   Security & Maintenance Section .  I selected (check the box) "Backup System Files to the Recovery Drive" . Then I connected a 16GB USB flash drive , but it does not proceed further . 
When I do not check the box , then it proceeded further and created a Recovery Drive ,  but it contained some files ( presumably System Files ) of size 406 MB  .  But it is not Recovery USB Media/Drive  for Windows10  .  I do not think , it will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot .    

I expect some Microsoft representative to explain and reply on the above and let me know as to how to create Windows10 Recovery USB Media/Drive Backup ), that will work to boot/re-instal Windows10 in case my Laptop fails to boot in future .    Thanks in advance . 

===============================================================================================================

Question Info

Last updated June 5, 2018 Views 2,198 Applies to:

What edition of Windows 10 are you running.  There are reports of inability to make a recovery drive on Home.  I had this problem.  The same computer made a recovery drive successfully after the computer was upgraded to Pro.  If you are using Home, report the bug via the Windows Feedback app on your all apps menu or upvote feedback from others.

The way to contact Microsoft on this and other problems is to use the Contact Support app on your all apps menu.  This forum is a user-to-user forum.  The Answer Desk agents can escalate bugs they cannot fix for you to the dev team for a future fix in a cumulative update.

Colin Barnhorst

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

What edition of Windows 10 are you running.  There are reports of inability to make a recovery drive on Home.  I had this problem.  The same computer made a recovery drive successfully after the computer was upgraded to Pro.  If you are using Home, report the bug via the Windows Feedback app on your all apps menu or upvote feedback from others.

The way to contact Microsoft on this and other problems is to use the Contact Support app on your all apps menu.  This forum is a user-to-user forum.  The Answer Desk agents can escalate bugs they cannot fix for you to the dev team for a future fix in a cumulative update.

I have Windows 10 Home . Did you pay for Windows 10 Pro additionally ?

I tried Windows Feedback app . No response from Microsoft . Windows Feedback app is only one way communication .

Would you care to comment on para 3.0 of my post above . Thanks

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You will have to purchase pro pack to upgrade the computer from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Sorry this didn't help.

My new Surface Pro 3 was running 8. I pro. Backed it up to 8 GB usb stick easily. Then upgraded free to Win 10 pro (downloaded @ 0.7Mb/sec!). That updated itself Ok and runs fine but has the same issues with backup! I.e. it wants only a non-existent disk for recovery, wouldn't accept 16 GB stick (after the requested re-formatting to NTFS) and also sees a 64GB stick as only 32GB (I attempted re-format that to NTFS). Could it possibly be a 'feature' that, unless an upgrade is purchased, deters recovery except to the 'purchased' factory default 8.1 (pro)?? But am still unable to backup anything to a usb stick against my worry of possible minor file corruptions (not previously an unknown occurrence in my 50 years of using computers)!!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Clarke,

Thank you for your response.

What exactly happens when you try to backup, are you getting any error message?

Which application are you using to backup?

Please post us back with the above information to help you better.

Thank you
Sachin.V
Microsoft Community

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

You will have to purchase pro pack to upgrade the computer from Windows 10 home to Windows 10 pro.

Hope this information is helpful.

Thank you.

Hi,

Why Microsoft ( or any one ) should expect to buy Pro pack , when one is already having genuine Home pack . Is this marketing strategy of Microsoft ?

Shall invite your comments on para 1.0 & 2.0 of my original post dated 21st Nov. 2015 .

Thanks .

============================================================

Sorry this didn't help.

We regret the inconvenience caused, Let me help you to resolve the issue in creating recovery drive.

Before assisting further, I would like to ask you few questions:

1. Do you get any error code or error message while creating a recovery drive?
  2.  What happens when you try to create recovery drive? 

As an initial step, I suggest you to disconnect any external device connected to the system (except mouse and keyboard) and the reconnect only the external drive to be created as the recovery drive.

You may also try to disable any anti-virus program installed in the system and then try creating a recovery drive.

Disclaimer: Antivirus software can help protect your computer against viruses and other security threats. In most cases, you shouldn't disable your antivirus software. If you have to temporarily disable it to install other software, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

Format your USB drive, create recover drive, and check if the issue is resolved.

Refer to the link below on How to: Create a Recovery Drive for reinstalling Windows 10:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-win_upgrade/how-to-create-a-recovery-drive-for-reinstalling/58df9c7d-84de-4652-9952-8bac34abc6c5

Hope this helps! Let us know if you need further assistance.

Rakesh C N

Microsoft Community.

Sorry this didn't help.