Windows update fails at 82 percent consistently

I have been having trouble with Windows update failing repeatedly for several months. Every time I restart to complete installing an update, the computer prepares the update, shuts down, and restarts normally, but when it is installing the updates, it stops at around 82% every time. The circle on the screen freezes, and it stays this way for up to 24 hours. Normally at that point, I hold the power button on my desktop to force it to restart. Then it says it's restoring the previous version of windows. The next time I attempt to update my PC, the same thing happens. Is there anything I can do to stop this and complete the updates? I have been researching this problem online but haven't found any solutions that worked.

I tried the steps listed here, but they didn't work for me: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-10-update-stuck-at-82-percent-for-two-days/d7dffdef-9f81-415e-aae5-73fb45dc97ec

When I entered the commands listed at the above link, I got a message that said "System Error 5 has occured. Access is denied."

Answer
Answer

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble.

I removed the card completely, just to be completely sure.  Other have commented that they just disabled the card.  Once the update is downloaded and the upgrade has started, you "shouldn't" need an internet connection (but I could be wrong about that).   Try shutting down when it says that the reboot is needed, removing the card (if you are comfortable with that), and see how it goes.

Be sure to keep one hand (or foot or knee) on the metal chassis while you handle the card so that there is no issue with static discharge.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Question Info

Last updated May 16, 2022 Views 6,024 Applies to: