Windows Update failed to install... again

God knows how many thread i've made about this, it seems that the problem won't go away from my PC. Basically, everytime an update comes up, my Windows 10 will always fail to install the update. No matter what i do. I've tried both system and catalogue, none of them worked. It'll just come up failed after restarting. Sometimes, it did worked, but even that i don't know how. Usually when things are like this i'll just use Media Creation Tool, but it obviously takes a long time and i don't want that. Is there any way i could get rid of this problem and install the updates peacefully?

The update that i now have problem with is the latest one (KB4038788)

Another thing that i noticed is that during the restart sequence, it doesn't show any percent, just the text and it gives up

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Here are the error messages/codes I and getting for my Desktop.

• 2017-09 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038788) - Error 0x800706be

• 2017-09 Security Update for Adobe Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4038806) - Error 0x800706be

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

If you encounter errors or Windows Update will not continue, we recommend that you run the Windows Update Troubleshooter first. For a guided walk-through that provides steps to resolve problems with Windows Updates, we also recommend visiting this article: Fix Windows Update issues.

Feel free to update us with the results.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Ha - my virus software blocked the troubleshooter from loading.  Any other sites?

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sometimes antivirus or malware-prevention software might prevent you from running or installing applications and updates. Temporarily disabling the antivirus software can help resolve your concern. The steps to turn off antivirus or malware-prevention software depend on the software you’re using. Please be advised that disabling the antivirus can cause risk to your computer's security. You can enable the anti-virus once you're done with installing the said update.

Let us know if you have more questions and we'll answer it for you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have tried many times (rolls over nearly two screens) to update version 1709, including after recommendations from this community and others. I have even uninstalled (reset) the library thinking that would work - no it didn't work either.

However, windows has automatically installed many of it own 'quality updates' also 'other' updates.

Totally disappointed in windows 10 - so much data and time lost.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I didn’t check the thread to see if this possible solution had been provided, but I have ran into the update problem twice. In each case, I discovered that there was a missing device driver. Once I installed the missing driver, I had no problem updating. Apparently, Windows 10 will not update if there is an issue or a missing device driver on your system. It may be wise to first check “Device Manager” and make sure there are no issues with any device, when troubleshooting an issue with Windows update/upgrade...good luck!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Wait till you get to windows 1709...OMG the problems I have encountered are crazy. If you have a wireless adapter that has broadcom (Tp-link and asus are some I have problems with) chips in them then rollback but keep in mind you have to do it fast are you can't. They are forcing people to update. So far this has been the biggest fail I have ever encountered. There are a lot of laptops like the Razer ones that will not work. Microsoft need to correct this fast. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, this latest update is a fail. I've tried everything (its not drivers, etc) and Microsoft support have not been able to help either. They ended up saying as Lenovo have not published my device as tested with the latest build, there is nothing more they can do. Are PC manufacturers really expected to test and publish test results for every PC they made for each and every update. That doesn't seem to fit with the windows as service approach. Its what you would expect with the old,  'big release' every 5 years... Very disappointing.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same question. Update failed to install. Always had to reboot to recover and reinstall older version. And then eventually got into a impossible feedback loop and how to take it into a computer shop. I phone tech-support at  my  Microsoft at least  four times and I’ve got the case number to prove it.  The system needs to work in such a way that we can choose not to update. 

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Gary,

We've sent you a private message as we need some information to check the issue that you've encountered with installing an update. Please see your profile and we'll wait for your response.

Regards.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 28, 2020 Views 139,405 Applies to: