Windows 10 winload.exe error 0xc000000f

All,

When starting up my PC I get a blue screen with an error message stating that the file \windows\system32\winload.exe is missing or contains errors. The error code is 0xc000000f. It is asking me to insert the installation media, however I don't have this as I have upgraded to Windows 10 online.

Furthermore, I have noticed a severe decline in performance since Windows automatically updated 4 days ago. It now takes hours to start up my computer whilst this used to take 1-2 minutes (updates of 8 October 2015).

How can I get Windows 10 working again?

Your help is much appreciated!

Best,

Wouter

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Wouter,

Thank you for posting on Microsoft Communities.

I will be glad to help you with the issue you have with the computer. I understand the frustration when things don't work the way it should.

I suggest you to create a Windows 10 installation Disc and perform a repair on the computer. To create a please find the below link:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

To know how to create a disc, please follow the below link:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-manual-upgrade-installation/8cb20cea-4d1c-4c1e-996c-b248493d10e8?tm=1438499976622

To perform a Repair on the computer, Please follow the below steps:

a. Insert the installation DVD or USB and boot Windows 10 from it.

b. In the ‘Windows setup’ page select the ‘language to install’,‘Time and currency format’ and the ‘keyboard or input method’ and click on ‘next’.

c. Click on ‘Repair your computer’ and select ‘Troubleshoot’.

d. Click on ‘Advanced options’ and select‘Automatic Repair’ and select the operating system.

Please let us know if you need further assistance.

Thank you.

10 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Divya,

Thanks for your quick response and support. I have completed the steps that you have outlined in your response, however I have been unable to repair the system.

When I attempt to perform the Repair on this computer, I have followed steps a through c. However, when I click on 'Advanced options', the option 'Automatic repair' is not visible. The options that are visible are shown in the screenshot below.

When I attempt to repair perform a 'Startup repair', I get the error message that this option is not supported (as shown in the below screenshots).

What steps could I take to get Windows working?

I appreciate your help.

Best regards,

Wouter

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello Wouter,

Thank you for keeping us posted.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue with Windows 10 winload.exe error 0xc000000f on the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I really appreciate all your efforts in trying to fix the issue.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided in the following Microsoft Community link and check if that helps.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_repair/file-windowssystem32winloadexe-error-code/d64439a9-17ca-49b6-8d63-b41fa78bb608

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Jayant

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Jayant,

Thanks for your help so far. Unfortunately, following the steps you indicated in your previous message, has not resolved the issue. I am now getting a similar error message, this time with the code 0x000000e9. During the process you described, I also got a funny error message.

When I performed the Bootrec /rebuildbcd in DOS, it completed with the error message that there are 0 OS installed on the system.

It seems best to me if I do a clean install of Windows 10. Before I do this with the installation disk that I have burned as suggested in Divya's post above, I would like to know if there is any way I can move a dozen or so documents from the C:\users\myname\My Documents folder to an external USB drive. Is there any way to do this in DOS? Or are these files locked?

Your help with this issue is truly appreciated.

Kind regards,
Wouter

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Jayant,

Thanks for your response. Since my last response I have copied my last files to USB and now want to install a clean version of Windows 10, using the disk I have created.

When I attempt to reinstall Windows, under recovery options and choose to keep my files and settings, I get an error message saying there is a partition error.

When I attempt to install Windwos 10 from the root menu of the installation disk, I am asked for a serial number. Is it okay for me to enter my Windows 7 serial number at this point? Or do I skip this step?

Please help, it is much appreciated!

Kind regards,

Wouter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Thank you for your response.

I would like to inform you that, once your device upgrades to Windows 10 using the free upgrade offer and activates online automatically, an entitlement is registered to your PC’s hardware for the edition of Windows 10 you upgraded to in the Windows 10 Activation service. So you can upgrade or reinstall Windows 10 anytime on your computer. If you have already upgrade to Windows 10, you may skip this step. However, you cannot manually enter the previous Operating System product key to activate Windows 10.

You may refer the follow help article and check if it helps.

How to Activate and resolve common Product key issues in Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-activate-and-resolve-common-product-key/33f31475-93b3-4d1c-812f-4b21fbd807a7

Hope this information is helpful. For any further information, feel free to contact us.

Thank you.

4 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Syed,

Thanks for your reply. I have attempted to install Windows 10 from the Installation Disk, as described in your previous post. During the instalation process I get the following error message:

'Windows cannot install required files. Make sure all files required for installation are available, and restart the installation. Error code: 0x8007045D'.

What steps can I take to fully install Windows 10?
Thanks for your help.

Kind regards,

Wouter

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Thanks for the update on the issue. I appreciate your efforts and time in resolving this issue.

This issue occurs when the installation is corrupt. You may try to download Windows 10 again and install it on your PC.

You may refer to the article mentioned below for downloading Windows 10.

Download Windows 10

Let us know the results. We will be glad to assist you further.

Regards,
Sahil Bali

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Dear Sahil,

Thanks for your help. I have created a new install disk and managed to complete the Windows 10 installation. At the end of the installation, the message "please restart your computer in order to complete installation" appeared. I pressed on "okay" to restart. Since then, whenever I start up the PC I get a yellow screen.

Please see the attached screenshot for more information. I can still boot from the installation CD, but can no longer start Windows normally.

Thanks for your help so far, and hope you can assist further!

Kind regards,

Wouter

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

Sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Based on the issue description I can understand that you are getting a yellow screen on startup.

This might happen because of the graphics card loading the drivers slowly or error while loading the content. Safe mode is a diagnostic mode where windows loads with minimal set of drivers and all the third party application will be disabled, in other words windows loads in VGA mode in safe mode and it will not use graphic drivers in safe mode.

Hence I would suggest you to try going in to Safe mode with networking and see if the issue persists.

If not I would suggest you uninstall and reinstall the graphics card driver and see if it helps.

Please follow the steps below to uninstall:

1. Right Click on Start, Select Device Manager.
2. Find and double-click the category of device whose driver you wish to uninstall, the graphics card would be listed under Display Adapters.
3. Right-click the device, and click Uninstall.
4.Windows will prompt you to confirm the device’s removal. Click OK to remove the driver.

5.After the uninstallation is complete, reboot your computer as soon as possible.

Hope this helps. If the issue remains unresolved, please get back to us and we would be happy to help.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 29, 2020 Views 55,127 Applies to: