Windows 10 Upgrade from 8.1 does not have valid digital entitlement

I had a legitimate copy of Windows 8.1 Pro installed on my laptop, I finally gave in to the annoying "upgrade to Windows 10" prompt. 

Now I'm running Windows 10, but there is a message in the bottom right corner of the screen saying "Activate Windows". In the activation window of the settings application I get this: "Activation failed because this device doesn't have a valid digital entitlement or product key" Error code: 0x803F7001".

I have googled this error, but solutions have not helped. I don't have a product key, as the computer came with Win 8. I haven't made any hardware changes.

Question Info

Last updated June 22, 2019 Views 2,359 Applies to:
Answer
Answer

Hi,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community.

Apologize for the difficulties that you're experiencing in Windows 10.

Not to worry, we’re here to help you out.

Usually you might see this error if no valid Windows license was found for your device when upgrading to Windows 10 or if you performed a clean installation of Windows 10, which requires a new license to activate your copy of Windows.

Let us try the following steps to activate windows through phone and see if it helps:

* Open run command by pressing Windows + R and type slui 4 and hit enter.

* Select the country/region from the drop down menu, and then click Next .

* Dial toll free number provided there and follow the instructions from the telephone system and write down the confirmation ID.

* Enter the confirmation ID numbers into fields A through H, in the same sequence as the telephone system provided them. When done, click Activate.

* You can see the confirmation pop-up message on successful activation. 

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Anusha

Regards,
Anusha

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.