Windows 10 updates keep turning off system restore thus deleting previous restore points!

Why is Windows 10 update wiping out my restore points? On November 21, I created two new restore points (manual). My C: system drive was turned on. My limit was set to 25% and my new 1 terabyte  WD hard drive is barely 30% used. This morning, I allowed an update that took a long time to download and install. Afterwards, my Task Manager had new entries, Cortana2. My previous days restore points had been deleted and C: system was turned off in system restore. This is the second time in a month that Windows update has screwed with my settings and system! Why isn't somebody doing something about this?

Question Info

Last updated November 7, 2018 Views 2,033 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

When a "feature" upgrade is performed such as the Anniversary Update (v1607), original Creators Update (v1703), or Fall Creators Update (v1709), the update will clear at least (1) Restore Points, (2) Event Log entries, (3) Windows Update History, and (4) Reliability History. Basically you are installing a new operating system, and using restore points from previous versions would mess things up. You do have the option of rolling back to the previous version for a period of time if you have issues with the new version.

JohnD

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Thank you! I was surprised to get a concise answer so soon. Since I'm blind, using a screen reader, I probably missed any notification of such annoying processes. Even my Windows Media Player got reset to Groove Music, which I seems less accessible. Way to go Microsoft, clearing up the changes took me at least an hour.

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is such a crap response, The point is I like most people who use that "system restore points" do it to protect our systems and data. If they need to delete our restore points why in gods name can they not turn the "System Protection" back On and create a new restore point?? That is what would be expected by someone who is and has been taking all the steps needed to protect their system and it data, to do this is a blatant undermining of these actions taken by the user. I for one would sue if their direct actions of doing prevented my systems recovery.

The update must check the system to see if it is on in order to turn it off to start with. I constantly ask myself are micro-soft to stupid to care about people's person settings or are they just going out of their way to piss people off by while trying to showing that they are really the one in control???

Noel

35 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

That is such a crap response, The point is I like most people who use that "system restore points" do it to protect our systems and data. If they need to delete our restore points why in gods name can they not turn the "System Protection" back On and create a new restore point?? That is what would be expected by someone who is and has been taking all the steps needed to protect their system and it data, to do this is a blatant undermining of these actions taken by the user. I for one would sue if their direct actions of doing prevented my systems recovery.

The update must check the system to see if it is on in order to turn it off to start with. I constantly ask myself are micro-soft to stupid to care about people's person settings or are they just going out of their way to piss people off by while trying to showing that they are really the one in control???

Noel

Agree. I understand how historical restore points may be invalid and should be cleared, but there is no excuse for turning off system restore and compromising the system moving forward,

17 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Boy do I have issues. We are now into 2018 and once again, a Windows update wiped out more than one restore point. Besides that, Calculator is constantly being loaded in the background and it no longer works with my JAWS screen reader. If I do need to use Calculator, I have to load NVDA or Narrator. Yes, I have add-ons turned off in settings-privacy, and that doesn't stop calculator from loading. Now, I also have a problem with Internet Explorer 11 getting locked up. Sometimes it gets stuck in a Google tool bar when I was in a completely different web site. When I shell out to the desk top, I have to go into Task Manager to turn off IE11. It will not close from the Task Bar. And, no, I don't want to change to Edge or Google Chrome. Already tried them.don't I exit

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Noel

Totally agree! As Dennis Q Miller has it: "no excuse for turning off system restore and compromising the system moving forward".

9 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes, thats right John. Its virtually a new OS. But the thing that really annoyed me, apart from turning OFF  System protection (God knows why, its called PRO-TEC-TION!!!!)

But that they Also wipe/delete any System Image restore points.

And while I have my Images stored externally, Im reasonably sure that if I tried to use one, from say Version 1511, then I would get that Failure notification thing. Incorrect Architecture or Operating system, or whatever is is.

I ran into that issue previously, trying to restore my W8 image of the same PC that now had W8.1.

Long story short, because the image started, then ran into that incorrect architecture thing, what I ended up with was a WIPED CLEAN HARD DRIVE!!

No Operating System. Nothing at all would work, as W8.1 never allowed repair disks to be created.

I ended up restoring my W8 image with a solution I read here, I had to D/L an iso of Serverv 2012 r something.

And during the install process it FINALLY allowed my w8 image to be restored.

Its justv plain terrible what MS have done since W8-8.1 in these respects. Thatv episode took me many many full days work finding a solution.

Pretty much need to create a full installation disk with these new horrible windows systems.

Sorry this didn't help.

Yes. Another thing that Really bugs me about these "Upgrades"

They reset everything back to how THEY want it, NOT how you have spent weeks or months setting it up just the way you want.

But... Theyre just oblivious it seems to their customers feelings. And the continuous frustration & trouble they keep putting us through.

Im a HUGE W7 fan, that was when I got  my first PC, aged 43. I loved W7 big time.

But Im now done with MS. "8 - 8.1 - 10", and all the continuous differing versions of 10, get progressively worse.

I'll never buy anything MS again. Ive always rather despised Apple, but if thats what it has to be... Then so be it. MS has killed of any faith I used to have. Actually I had Much LOVE, after getting to know and learn on my W7. Beautiful process it was.

Thanks MSoft!!!

Bye

8 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

In agree with everything you said Noel, but for saying johnptd's response was Crap.

It looked to me that he was just telling it like it is. He wasnt giving one of those terrible generic answers that we get from a lot of "Microsoft MVP's"

He was just saying what happens. Not defending it in any way, or saying that there was some sort of good reason for it.

No problem. I do agree with everything else you said.

Cheers.

Sorry this didn't help.

Wait, did I read this right? We can't save system restore points any longer? I don't care if an old one drops off. Had a power failure, system moved all the front window icons into a pile on the left. I went and looked, "system restore set off".

Turned on, set a restore  point.

Two days later, all the icons are piled on the left again. Look... no system restore points, it's turned off again. Repeated: turned on again, set manual restore point. This morning, no system restore points.

Someone just tell me, in plain English, has Microsoft removed the ability for any system restore points? How do I save the configuration which gets lost when there's a system lock up or power failure? HOW?

If the ability to do this function is disabled, why is that option still available in system settings?

Sorry this didn't help.