Windows 10 updates KB4013429 and KB 4015217 fail to install.

I have been trying to find someone with the answer to this to no avail, but this is the first time that I've gone to this forum for the answer.  Since March 15 or so, 3429 fails to install.  Now 5217 fails to install.  I understand that this has been a problem for many others as well.  Has there been a tried and true solution yet?

Was this discussion helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this discussion?

Thanks for your feedback.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Richard,

If you're having issues with Windows Update, we recommend downloading and running the Windows Update Troubleshooter. Using it may help you resolve many of the update errors. You can check this article to know more information about it.

Feel free to post back if you need further assistance.

25 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and click OK . Place the cursor on System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save. Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem Michelle - in fact I have not been able to install a Windows 10 1607 cummulative update since I bought the PC in December 2016. January 11 Failed; March 17 failed; April 15 failed.

On each occassion, I ran the troubleshooter. On each occassion the troubleshooter fixed security settings, service registration, the update database and the update components.  On each occassion, the cummulative update has failed when I attempted it again.  

I now have three cummulative updates hidden so as to stop the PC constantly trying to install them. 

With so many users experiencing the failure of cummulative updates surely someone knows how to fix it. I would sure like to know!

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

With so many users experiencing the failure of cummulative updates surely someone knows how to fix it.

Fix what?  If you would upload the diagnostics that Gerry requested from the OP we might have a chance of telling you.

28 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have to respectfully disagree.  Surely with the number of folks having this problem there are some techies out there that either have experienced it or can recreate the problem.  I, too, have been having this problem getting an update installed.  I realized today that it's the same update that is failing - KB4015217.  The Microsoft techies should be able to get a handle as to why so many folks are having a problem getting the update installed.

When I get a chance I will see if I can get the info that Gerry asked for.

55 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did as requested. Can see here:

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AiPUKfrwpvFegj6kfTAi7iuMEc1j

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Did anyone manged to get this issue resolved?  another victim here.  KB 4015217 failed 4 times to install.  

15 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This installing failure started happening to me today. It seems to be a serious problem. It just wants me to restart my computer over and over and over again.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

@ Trevin

Thanks for sharing your System Information file.  I have tried doing an analysis of your WER records and think there are several recurring problems seen there but I can't tell exactly how they relate.

Here's a summary of them

$WER | foreach {$_ -split '
' | select-string "Event Name:" } | sort Line | group Line | sort Count | ft Count, Name -AutoSize

Count Name
----- ----
    2 Event Name: PnPDriverInstallError
    2 Event Name: MoAppCrash
    2 Event Name: PnPDriverNotFound
    2 Event Name: WsearchHealth
    2 Event Name: StoreAgentInstallFailure1
    2 Event Name: StartupRepairOnline
    4 Event Name: PnPRequestAdditionalSoftware
    4 Event Name: LiveKernelEvent
    4 Event Name: MpTelemetry
    6 Event Name: StoreAgentDownloadFailure1
    6 Event Name: ServiceHang
   10 Event Name: PnPGenericDriverFound
   12 Event Name: MoCFGSUP
   14 Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_64
   22 Event Name: RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64
   24 Event Name: SkyDriveClientError
   31 Event Name: APPCRASH
   75 Event Name: CbsPackageServicingFailure2
   78 Event Name: WINDOWS_WCP_POQEXEC_FAILURE2
  122 Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure3
  821 Event Name: BEX

At first I thought the BEX thing would be independent of the other 3 main ones but now I'm not sure as some are interleaved eerily "coincidentally" IMO with some recent ones of the others.  So, it might be an idea to do something about them to avoid that uncertainty.  Who knows fixing this might help change your other symptoms.

PS>$BEX | foreach {$_ -split '
' | select-string "P1:" } | sort Line | group Line | sort Count | ft Count, Name -AutoSize

Count Name
----- ----
    1 P1: WlanMgr.exe
   88 P1: PlexTranscoder.exe
  248 P1: Plex Media Server.exe
  484 P1: Plex Media Scanner.exe

So, if nothing else help please try uninstalling whatever package these Plex things came with.

Otherwise it appears that the others occur in sets, starting with some of the POQ things which then get reflected in the CBS ones and then finally reported by WU.  Let's look at the last instance of such an assumed set.  You can do it without needing to do any PowerShell coding by using a Microsoft forum "sandbox" for its HTML editor feature.  E.g. go there, open up the HTML editor and Paste in the lines that you want to see expanded, then use the Update button, then use the HTML button again (believe it or not).   Result:

<paste>

4/15/2017 10:23 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket 127825230192, type 5
Event Name: WINDOWS_WCP_POQEXEC_FAILURE2
Response: Not available
Cab Id: 0
Problem signature:
P1: 10.0.14393.1051:1
P2: c00000d4
P3: HardLinkFile
P4:
P5:
P6:
P7:
P8:
P9:
P10:
Attached files:
These files may be available here:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_10.0.14393.1051__9ed84adc7be1dff290ec715cff3c6829687e5733_00000000_10b45b5e
Analysis symbol:
Rechecking for solution: 0
Report Id: 23aafcaf-222a-11e7-a9e3-6c626d39ed02
Report Status: 0
Hashed bucket: 2dd9e5ef27ebe61c960e277859ea58b4
4/15/2017 10:23 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket 127825230460, type 5
Event Name: CbsPackageServicingFailure2
Problem signature:
P1: 10.0.14393.1051
P2: Package_for_RollupFix
P3: 14393.953.1.2
P4: amd64
P5: unknown
P6: 80070011
P7: POQ
P8: Staged
P9: Installed
P10: WindowsUpdateAgent
Attached files:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\Critical_10.0.14393.1051_efd25359e4234a84689834251dd5cefc9bee3c8_00000000_110c86b4
Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 2a6da5d0-222a-11e7-a9e3-6c626d39ed02
Hashed bucket: af99b604dfc23b9940781c43a83a011b
4/15/2017 10:24 PM Windows Error Reporting Fault bucket 50, type 5
Event Name: WindowsUpdateFailure3
Problem signature:
P1: 10.0.14393.594
P2: 80070011
P3: 7F295976-A084-4EE2-8C66-380383AF53C6
P4: Install
P5: 501
P6: 0
P7: 0
P8: wusa
P9: {3E5CBB80-8301-47CA-A601-0C004E76EFEB}
P10: 0
Attached files:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\WER\ReportArchive\NonCritical_10.0.14393.594_c8634649ce50a8324478bf479d8b8fcc991fd88_00000000_1c956ef1
Analysis symbol:
Report Id: 4dc4a7de-222a-11e7-a9e3-6c626d39ed02
Hashed bucket: 6f1764d5e587aaba04fab7a265016387   

</paste>

I have bolded what I imagine will be error codes.   Then those give these clues.

PS>net helpmsg (0xD4)

The segment is locked and cannot be reallocated.

PS>net helpmsg (0x11)

The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

I have a couple ideas from these.  The 0xD4 may mean that there is a problem with something listed in your Pending.XML file.   As for the other, is there a another partition that we should know about, or something that would be protecting it from changes that you could remove?  FWIW I didn't see any probable suspects in a quick scan of the rest of your System Information file.  My only other guess from seeing  P8:  wusa  would be that perhaps it has something to do with it but I know even less about WUSA than the scraps I've picked here.

HTH

Robert
---

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

something listed in your Pending.XML file.   As for the other, is there a another partition that we should know about

I notice that you have split stuff onto a D: drive.  So, one possibility to look for which would include both facts is: something being "moved" there via Pending.XML.  It could not be done via a rename which is typically the mechanism used to handle updates of locked or inuse items.  

Here's something to look for.   FWIW I don't have one but I have seen others include theirs with their diagnostics.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc732334%28v=ws.10%29.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396 

(BING search for
    POQEXEC.log
)

<quote>

The Pending Operations Queue Exec log. This log is located at %windir%\winsxs\poqexec.log. It contains errors for the rest of the installation after a computer is restarted. Every failure in the pending operations queue generates one line in Poqexec.log.
</quote>

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Discussion Info

Last updated December 10, 2021 Views 7,725 Applies to: