Windows 10 updates are 'stuck' in download or waiting

I have the following updates to complete but the first one is 'downloading' but stuck at 47% and the other s are 'waiting to download'. There has been no progress in 3-5 days. I've restarted a number of times - What else can I do?

Update for Microsoft Outlook 2010 (KB3055041) 32-Bit Edition - (downloading 47% )

Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2010 (KB3055033) 32-Bit Edition (waiting to download)

Security Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3087916) - (waiting to download)

Cumulative Update for Windows 10 for x64-based Systems (KB3081448) - (waiting to download)

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hello,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community.

I would suggest you to manually reset the Windows update components and check if it helps.

Method 1: Reset Windows update components.

Resetting Windows Update Components will fix corrupt Windows Update Components and help you to install the Windows Updates. Please follow the below steps to reset the Windows Updates Components manually:

1. Press Windows Key + X on the keyboard and then select “Command Prompt (Admin)” from the menu.
  2. Stop the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. To do this, type the following commands at a command prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    • net stop wuauserv
    • net stop cryptSvc
    • net stop bits
    • net stop msiserver
  3. Now rename the SoftwareDistribution and Catroot2 folder. You can do this by typing the following commands in the Command Prompt. Press the “ENTER” key after you type each command.
    • ren C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old
    • ren C:\Windows\System32\catroot2 Catroot2.old
  4. Now, let’s restart the BITS, Cryptographic, MSI Installer and the Windows Update Services. Type the following commands in the Command Prompt for this. Press the ENTER key after you type each command.
    • net start wuauserv
    • net start cryptSvc
    • net start bits
    • net start msiserver

5. Type Exit in the Command Prompt to close it.

Now you may try running the Windows Updates and check if the above steps resolve the issue.

For reference: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/971058

Disclaimer: Important this section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base: 322756 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/)  

How to back up and restore the registry in Windows

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

158 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Stopping the above services only worked for me after I've rebooted in save mode. Without this, I was unable to stop all services and renaming the directories did not work as services were still active

14 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Stopping the above services only worked for me after I've rebooted in save mode. Without this, I was unable to stop all services and renaming the directories did not work as services were still active

Thank you for this, I rebooted in safe mode, then shut down and restarted in normal mode twice ( as required by the updates). The updates installed with no problems. Brill!

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Finally worked for me. Note that in Safe mode, wuauserv reported that it can't be stopped because it was not started. (Although I did try to restart in Safe Mode with Networking, that option has not worked on any computer with Win 8, 8.1, or 10)

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

when I typed in the first command the computer responded with "system error 5 has occured.  access is denied"

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Seriously, Windows 10 clean install, 3 days old and its already hung! This is a bug and should have been picked up in rudimentary testing.

The workaround - Start in safe mode, restart several services, delete a load of data files and restart the PC several times. You have to be kidding?! Theres a reason the fruit is getting so many customers.

21 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This worked great for me without any of the safe mode hijinks reported above. Thank you for the solution!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Matt,

Thank you for replying. In case, if you need any assistance you may always post your questions along with your valuable suggestions in this forum.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

The recommended sequence worked for me, but not smoothly.  (I tried to enter Safe Mode, but apparently my BIOS doesn't honor the F8 key, which needs the Fn shift.  I didn't learn until later the other methods to enter Safe Mode.)

The first time, wuauserv wouldn't stop.  After a reboot (NOT Safe Mode) I tried to stop it and it wasn't started (yet, as it turned out).  Various other steps worked, or didn't work, maybe depending on timing.  For example, when I tried to rename Catroot2, I got "Access is denied."  It turned out that wuauserv had been started AFTER I tried to stop it.  Once it was stopped, the rename worked.

The last command in the sequence, "net start msiserver" failed, eventually saying something like "the process didn't respond."  I typed its "net stop" command and was told it wasn't started.  But then the "net start" command worked.  Go figure.

So, Microsoft Update is working again.  But PLEASE, PLEASE tell me that a fix is in the works for this problem!

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

net stop msiserver did not work but came up with -

The Windows Installer service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521

Then enterig the next line of text it came up with - 

Access is denied.

I ran command prompt as admin, what is stopping my updates and how can I fix this?!

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 30, 2020 Views 116,107 Applies to: