Windows 10 Update Error 0x800703ed - Dual Boot with Linux

Hello community, 

I have a dual boot installation on my notebook for quite a while now without having any issues. My Linux is the standard antergos (archlinux) installation using its standard bootloader. 

Previous updates worked without problems.

The newest Windows 10 updates (since more or less one week) fail and Windows shows the text saying something went wrong and it will undo the changes. The Error code 0x800703ed I found in the Update section. Searching the internet suggests that windows cannot determine the correct windows partition.

Weirdly windows shows in its disk management all partitions correctly and especially marks the windows partition as "windows partition" and "start partition" (free translated from my german installation). The Linux root partition is marked as "start partition" and "active partition" which is again what it should be I think. 

How can I fix this error and why is windows not capable of detecting its partition although showing it to me correctly?

Question Info

Last updated November 12, 2019 Views 3,632 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

Usually, this error is mainly caused by faulty drivers or system files corruption. To further isolate the issue, may we know the specific Windows update or the KB number that you're trying to install?

It's also possible that if you're running a third party antivirus software, the update installation is being blocked. To see if it's indeed the case, disable your antivirus software while installing updates. Please note that if you have to temporarily disable it to install updates, you should re-enable it as soon as you're done. If you're connected to the Internet or a network while your antivirus software is disabled, your computer is vulnerable to attacks.

You may also go to the Microsoft Catalog Page to download the updates manually.

Let us know how it goes.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

Hello,

thank you for your answer. Disabling my AV program did not help. Showed the same issue.

I made some screenshots regarding KB number etc. After trying this just new entries like the two at the top of screenshot 1 were added.

It seems that both the KB 4048954 and the Fall creators update cannot be installed. the updates before that were all successful. The first says a restart is necessary (which does not help as the installation on restart fails) and the other is just showing a general error. If I should translate anything else into English, feel free to ask.

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for the update. For us to check what could be causing this error message, please run the Windows Update Troubleshooter to scan your computer, identify the problems, and attempt to fix the issues automatically. You may download and run the troubleshooter from this link.

We also suggest that you check for corrupted Windows system files. System File Checker (SFC) is a utility in Windows that scans for corrupted Windows system files. If it finds a problem, it will try to replace the problematic system files from a cached version that’s on your PC.

To run System File Checker (SFC), follow these steps:

1. In the search box on the taskbar, type command prompt, press and hold (or right-click) Command Prompt, then select Run as administrator > Yes.
  2. At the command prompt, type sfc /scannow (note the space between sfc and the /). Scanning will take a few minutes.
  3. If SFC finds corrupted files and replaces them, restart your PC and check if the issue persists.

For more info about System File Checker, see Use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files.

Let us know how it goes.

Sorry this didn't help.

Excuse my late response.

I eventually could do what you proposed, but this sadly did not help at all.

The troubleshooting software went through, reset some service and just asked me to update Windows. This did not work.

Then I ran sfc/scannow, but it told me that there were no integrity violations at all.

Do you have an idea what to do next? Would any specific error logs help to narrow down the problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you managed to solve the problem that you are facing??
because I'm facing the same update problem for few weeks now!!!

1 person was helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem, but it is resolved. Using System File Checker (SFC) does not solve the problem.
The solution is to use windows boot instead of using boot from linux. use hirenboot to re-use windows boot, then update windows as usual.
sorry for bad English.

Goodluck

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank your for your answer!
Could you explain what hirenboot is, does and where I can find it. Google just gives me "Hiren's Boot CD" which is a whole selection of tools.
Are you still able to boot into both linux and windows?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am experiencing the same problem with the Linux mint boot grub.  Have you learned any thing further about Hirens boot?  Please advise.

Email (*** Email address is removed for privacy ***)

I have posted here looking for Update 1709 in a loop.  I believe the Linux Mint grub could be causing the problem, but I don't know.  My 1709 installation loads up and then restores me back to 1703 version and says I need to restart.  Well it has been doing this for 34 times now.

Please help if you know anything.

Thanks

Noel Vaughn

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry before, in HirensBoot that I have there is easyBCD. The essence of this problem is to use dual boot from windows. So I use easyBCD to bring back the boot windows and add boot linux into it. You can directly install easyBCD on windows without having to use HirensBoot. How the steps can you search on google.
Good luck. I hope your problem can be resolved as well.

My Windows specifications:

Windows 10 proVersion 1709

OS Build 16299.192

4 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

I dont know why this update problem occurred.
In my opinion, there are 2 causes,

1. Linux grub boot

2. Windows Insider Program (If you join)

Sorry this didn't help.