Windows 10 shows "Choose an operating system" boot menu after failed update

Windows tried to update (version 1803) on 2018-05-18 but failed.
After that, every boot it showed "Choose an operating system" boot menu where I had two Windows 10 options to choose from.
One of them booted normalny and the second one restarted the computer and showed boot menu again.

I got rid of that by deleting that broken Windows 10 option from System Configuration -> Boot tab.

Now it happened again on 2018-07-03. The same update (version 1803) failed and I have again "Choose an operating system" boot menu.
Error codes are the same - 0xc1900101

How to make this update work or how to stop fighting with it for good?

Question Info

Last updated August 22, 2019 Views 550 Applies to:

Hi AdrianBienias,

The error code 0xc1900101 is usually caused by an incompatible driver resulting Windows to do a rollback. My suggestion is that you visit your device manufacturer website to check if there are available updates for your device. Updating the drivers may help fix compatibility issues. If the issue persists, then our next step would be updating your computer using Windows 10 Installation media. Please refer to this thread posted by Andre Da Costa for the step by step instruction on who to upgrade your PC to Windows 1803.

Keep us posted.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

I've used Driver Easy software and it showed a lot of stuff is outdated.
I updated almost everything excluding integrated graphic and audio drivers. I have no idea why those drivers don't want to update.

Anyway, I checked for updates and I got one quality update (KB4284822) succesfully installed.

When I check for updates it says my devise is up to date.
But in update history I still see those failed feature updates.

How to manually initialize that feature update which failed before?

Sorry this didn't help.

Sorry for the late response. Using a 3rd party driver updater app doesn't guarantee that you will get the latest and most compatible drivers for your device. For me, it is still best to download them from the manufacturer's website. To manually initialize the Windows 10 1803 upgrade, you may refer to the thread that I've provided above, go to the Windows Update settings or you may go to this webpage. I highly suggest updating first all your device drivers to the latest version before performing the upgrade to avoid issues.

Let us know the result.

Sorry this didn't help.

I've updated almost all my drivers (I had some issues while trying to update 3 of devices' drivers)
and this update (1803) still failed with error code 0xc1900101

Here are log files:

$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Panther\setuperr.log
https://pastebin.com/raw/m9ag9RaJ

$WINDOWS.~BT\Sources\Rollback\setuperr.log
https://pastebin.com/raw/wmEMJehP

Please tell me how to fix that or how to disable this update because it gets annoying to letting windows running this update over and over again and I have to manually fix booting issue after that update fails.

Sorry this didn't help.

Am I going to get help on this problem or not?

Sorry this didn't help.

After one of those failing updates auto tries Windows crashed for good.

I wasn't able to run my system.

Auto repairing didn't work.

Running command prompt gave me access only to X: drive without any option to backup my data from C: drive.

My laptop had Windows 8 preinstalled by default, so I don't know wether after updating to Windows 10 automatically updated my recovery partition or not, but I wasn't even able to use that recovery partition to run clean OS installation.

All options from recovery menu failed.

I had to download Windows 10 iso on another computer and "burn it" on pen drive to use it as bootable drive to install Windows again on my laptop. I also lost my all personal files from C: drive.

Thank you Microsoft!

PS. I decided to run Linux Ubuntu via desktop virtualization. When I get more familiar with that OS I definitely remove Windows from my machine and will stick with Linux. I encourage everyone to do the same.

Sorry this didn't help.