Question

Q: Windows 10 now won't boot, won't recover, won't reset, won't repair

After installing Win 10 32bit it was working fine until updates were unblocked.

After updates were run the laptop would not reboot - the bootloader could not load.

Tried using the Windows 10 recovery media on USB. The following fixes using that did not work: Refresh your PC, Reset your PC, Open a System Restore point (there was a restore point made), Start-up repair, Go back to previous build. Clean Installation fails (it won't format any partitions), Upgrade installation fails.

Despite this, all files are still visible on the computer using the command prompt.

Chkdsk /f /r shows up a (696e647863686b2e 1324) error.

BCDedit fixes haven't worked.

Startup repair fails saying it's the wrong OS, even though it's the same version.

I've downloaded the Win 10 recovery media twice and tried a Win 8 recovery USB - same results.

It looks like the bootloader is corrupted but the normal fixes aren't working. Has Windows 10 killed my laptop?

I've spent hours, days trying to figure this out and now really regret agreeing to the upgrade.

Answer

A:

I know this issue seems huge and like you're going to loose everything but its not and you wont I promise.

Get  ready for the worlds simplest fix to this issue. Start your pc and use the F11 to boot into recovery mode.

Next select Advanced and then Command prompt. From here run chkdsk c: /r /x and watch the magic work. If

chkdsk only scans you will need to run sfc /scannow and reboot. Problem solved! Windows cannot repair its self because the boot parameter is corrupt and no recovery will fix it for some reason but the tools you need are all already there. Don't be fooled into thinking a complete system restore is needed. That is the blind troubleshooting with a shotgun in the dark. I hope I saved you some trouble.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

5781 people were helped by this reply

Question Info

Views: 539,390 Last updated: May 23, 2018 Applies to: