Windows 10 November 2017 Update

The November 2017 Windows 10 update was installed on my laptop yesterday. I typically use a local user account to login to my laptop. After the update installation I am no longer able to login using that local user account. Windows attempts the login; but as it goes from me entering my password to bringing up the desktop screen, Windows bounces back to the login screen. I can login using my Microsoft account; but now my local user account has been hijacked and I am unable to use it.

Please explain what happened, and how I can recover my local user account login.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Barbara,

The issue you are encountering may be caused by incorrect typing of commands or some other underlying issues like altered configuration settings and software incompatibility. It may also be an issue with a corrupted file.  

Hence, we would like to know more. Are you getting a specific error message? Can you post back a screenshot of the exact error message? Click here and find an article on how to insert a screenshot in your post. Please make sure that no personal information can be seen on the screenshot.

Meanwhile,  kindly perform a System Restore. Restoring won’t affect your personal files, but it will remove apps, drivers, and updates installed after the restore point was made. Please check Recovery options in Windows 10 and follow the steps on how to restore from a system restore point.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

It happens immediately after I hit the "Enter" key after I type in my password. And there is no error message. Windows bounces back to the login screen within a fraction of a second. I can see the desktop screen for a fraction of a second before it bounces back to the login screen.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Will a System Restore restore the registry files back to their previous configuration?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

"Will a System Restore restore the registry files back to their previous configuration?"

Yes, System Restore will return your OS to the image snapshot that was taken when that particular restore point was created by you or by Windows periodic restore points. 

One stipulation however, you must have System Protection enabled on your device and keep good restore points manually.  If you don't regularly create manual restore points, you will be limited to the restore points that Windows has created itself, often before Windows monthly updates.

System Restore is turned off by default on computer devices.  You must enable it long before any restore points are created.  You must also allocate enough space for multiple points to be saved.  Too little space allocated will erase older restore points as new ones are created...so give it some slack if you want multiple restore points.

See the following HTG article for greater detail and how to configure System Restore   HERE

One final caveat, System Restore is not a substitute for backing up your files.   A periodic back up of your system's image should be stored to an external HDD , in case of hardware failure to your OS.  Also important, System Restore is not perfect.  It doesn't always complete successfully for people...especially with multiple partition confusion on a HDD resulting from multiple upgrades and installations of Windows.

Regards,

Wayne

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would going back to the previous version of Windows 10 work?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Would going back to the previous version of Windows 10 work?

You have 10 days to rollback from a previous Version of Windows (1607 to 1703 to 1709), but not OS Build # changes that occur with monthly updates.  Article about rollback HERE

You might want to consider performing a Windows 10 Repair Upgrade explained  HERE to see if it might cure your sign in problems.  No guarantees though.  

For the future, investing in an external HDD and creating periodic system images with software like Macrium Reflect (Free), will allow you to restore your device to a previous system image, if and when you need to.  

Regards,

Wayne

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This nee update has been updating for 12 hours, i know it says it can take a while but this is crazy!!!

Is this normal?

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

If an update is taking too long to install, there may be some underlying issues preventing it to do so. It may be because of a network connectivity issue, an incorrect configuration or even a malware issue.

We suggest you check Windows Update Troubleshooter. This article has a tool that will determine the root cause of the issue and may subsequently resolve it.

Let us know if the solution provided works for you. Otherwise, we’ll be here if you need further assistance.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

We have a really fast connection, i also scheduled the update for when we woukd be out of the house and then continue theough the night when no other devices were using the internet.

it took a total of 15hours to upload.  I have done a malware check with nothing coming.  I didnt get an error message, it just stayed on the red updating screen for 15 hours updating.  It was at 54% for a while and then 75%. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Reply In reply to deleted message

Did you receive any error message like the User Profile Service failed the logon? 

The most simple thing is to restart your computer. If this does not work, check the registry or create a new profile.

If all this trying does not work, you can perform a System Restore

No, nevergoan error message.  It was just on the red updating screen for 15hours doing the update

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated November 18, 2019 Views 4,285 Applies to: