Windows 10 is a disaster, Im bugging out, here is why

After trying W10 for 2 weeks, for the first time in my life I used the "restore previous OS" option (note: hats off to Microsoft, apparently they knew this was going to be a disaster ... took 4 minutes to restore my Windows 7 to PERFECTION as pre-W10), and I have been using computers since Windows DIDN'T EXIST (yes, I used even Windows 3.0, and Windows 1.0 for fun)

Before I list the reasons why this update is a disaster, even free (again, Microsoft knew this was a disaster, thus giving it free), I would also like to say that for most of my issues I mailed, live-chatted, created questions here on this forum and browsed the net insanely, and ALL the (little) help I was able to get was NEVER from Microsoft support, which always responded "no, you can't do that". So number one on my list goes to them.

1. Microsoft support is terrible, they couldn't care less, and don't answer. If they do, is to tell you are toast.

2. Several important programs for WORK, ENTERTAINMENT and GAMING stopped working with no solution available anywhere I looked. Took me 3 days of painstakingly work to get my Apache+php version to work, and I went to places I never had to go to make it work ... and it still worked somewhat buggy. Edge is a disaster (they pushed clearly a WIP on us) and the biggest games I have don't work and MICROSOFT KNOW IT (I tried to run "Fallout 3", yes it is kinda old, sue me) and before the launcher menu showed, the W10 notification center just popped "This program is not going to work on Windows 10", and when I clicked on it it simply sent me to download "Games for Windows", which I installed and didn't solve jack. 

3. Decrease in performance. When the system worked, it was fine, it even booted fast (Microsoft loves to improve boot time, as if we keep booting once an hour ... wait ... so many bugs and crashes, they are right!), but my biggest gripe was that sometimes, after the system was on for too long, it started "stuttering". Even the mouse would move across the screen in pulses, music/video would stutter the hell out, games or real-time applications also would work like morse code, and there was NOTHING I could do to stop. I would kill every task/process and it would keep going, only reboot (yay, thankyou for faster boots MS) would solve it.

4. Mandatory new drivers ... serious? EVERY FREAKING PERSON knows that you should stay with the most stable FAMILY LINE of GPU drivers, never upgrade for new platform drivers. I have that in an OFFICIAL mail from nVidia: DO NOT UPDATE IF IT IS WORKING. Thankyou, my time in Windows 10 was a mess because of "up to date" but NOT THE CORRECT driver versions.

5. Did I mention bugs everywhere? ok my fault for installing a new OS on day one, but gee, that "Mail" app didn't read/send mails at all for me, and a lot of other apps or system tools had options that did nothing. And this was supposed to be the most beta tested windows ever? 

6. MY DESKTOP WORK/GAME COMPUTER IS NOT A TABLET. I think everyone will understand why I am pissed with that. Trash Metro, Trash that notification center with TABLET options, Trask "lock screen", keep your dirty hands off my network options, GIVE ME BACK RIGHT-CLICK CONTEXT MENUS

7. The minimum an OS should do is be a framework so programs work on top of it. For that matter, other than settings/tweakins for the whole, I demand a USEFUL AND CUSTOMIZABLE desktop/home and menu. W10 (and W8) start menus are TERRIBLE. I was unable to organize it, and nobody (even non Microsoft personel) was able to figure it out how to do it. Oh sure you can *maybe* add a link like this, *maybe* remove clutter like that. What, new folders? remove unwanted clutter (or at least rearrange inside dead folders?) nah ...no can do. WAIT, STOP RIGHT THERE ... pinning on metro hell or desktop is not organizing my menu.

8. BLOATWARE, BLOATWARE EVERYWHERE. I get some are required if my DESKTOP computer was a stupid SMARTPHONE, but no, I don't want "Camera" or other stupid apps. Some (80% maybe) can be uninstalled, but others simply can't, and before you tell me "but they don't waste that much space", well, my Windows 7 MENU have 8 entries (folders, organized), while even after 2 weeks trying to clean W10 all apps menu, it had some 100 entries. And no, when I want to run an application, I want to click on it, I know where it is, not ask damn Cortana as if I don't know even how to run a program.

9. Dear Cortana. My files, games, programs, pictures, musics ... ARE ON MY COMPUTER. Search HERE before searching the web. How stupid is it that "my files" is the last option AFTER Cortana searches the whole freaking web?

10. Leave the stupid settings app to dumb smartphone users, I want my full control panel as DEFAULT.

11. No, I won't use a music app that is ridiculously less powerful and with less options that is called "Groove Music" and keeps bugging me for a subscription. 

12. EVERY support link on my W10 INSIDE the control panel/settings instead of opening your usual help window, would open my browser to a microsoft page that ... didn't exist, so it forwarded to BING (ugh) with always the exact same question: "How do I get help for windows 10?", which the result was always an instruction on how to use Cortana, who didn't know jack how to fix anything. So ... if Microsoft support wasn't bad enough, they even removed all help from the system, delegated to the worst search engine ever created, which (as the worst) tells me to ask the stupid assistant that doesn't know jack. I used to get help faster on pre-internet eras you know ...

13. TOOOOOOOO MUCH stuff I am not "allowed" and have "permission denied" to do on my OWN COMPUTER even with administrative rights ... What is this, iOS for PC?

14. The new logo sucks /s

I hope someone hack and makes Direct X work on Linux one day. Then all my troubles will go away: Work, entertainment and gaming on a REAL OS. If Windows 7 didn't fix Vista, I am pretty sure the whole intelligent work who needs windows would still be using XP. Want to win hearts and minds? Go back to support XP and keep support for 7 forever. 

note: this is a rant, nobody will care, lest Microsoft, so don't bother answering, I won't come back, already untick "Notify me when someone responds" 

Discussion Info

Last updated December 15, 2018 Views 4,343 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

I would recommend anyone to STAY AWAY from this disaster that is so bad it makes 8.1 seem like a welcome friend.  I too, have been using Microsoft OS's since before windows, even before MSDOS (yes, since CP/m, which was the OS that Gates ripped off to start his empire.)  I have never wound back to an earlier version before now, and now I am going back to 7.  10 is loaded with incompatibilities that make no sense; for example, quick time will not install on it, while so many pro applications require it.  (It seems to limp along with quick time if you are doing an upgrade, but will fail with a clean install.)  I could continue to list serious problems, but after a week of struggle, I haven't the energy....  At least you will not be able to say that you were not warned. 

After trying W10 for 2 weeks, for the first time in my life I used the "restore previous OS" option (note: hats off to Microsoft, apparently they knew this was going to be a disaster ... took 4 minutes to restore my Windows 7 to PERFECTION as pre-W10), and I have been using computers since Windows DIDN'T EXIST (yes, I used even Windows 3.0, and Windows 1.0 for fun)

Before I list the reasons why this update is a disaster, even free (again, Microsoft knew this was a disaster, thus giving it free), I would also like to say that for most of my issues I mailed, live-chatted, created questions here on this forum and browsed the net insanely, and ALL the (little) help I was able to get was NEVER from Microsoft support, which always responded "no, you can't do that". So number one on my list goes to them.

1. Microsoft support is terrible, they couldn't care less, and don't answer. If they do, is to tell you are toast.

2. Several important programs for WORK, ENTERTAINMENT and GAMING stopped working with no solution available anywhere I looked. Took me 3 days of painstakingly work to get my Apache+php version to work, and I went to places I never had to go to make it work ... and it still worked somewhat buggy. Edge is a disaster (they pushed clearly a WIP on us) and the biggest games I have don't work and MICROSOFT KNOW IT (I tried to run "Fallout 3", yes it is kinda old, sue me) and before the launcher menu showed, the W10 notification center just popped "This program is not going to work on Windows 10", and when I clicked on it it simply sent me to download "Games for Windows", which I installed and didn't solve jack. 

3. Decrease in performance. When the system worked, it was fine, it even booted fast (Microsoft loves to improve boot time, as if we keep booting once an hour ... wait ... so many bugs and crashes, they are right!), but my biggest gripe was that sometimes, after the system was on for too long, it started "stuttering". Even the mouse would move across the screen in pulses, music/video would stutter the hell out, games or real-time applications also would work like morse code, and there was NOTHING I could do to stop. I would kill every task/process and it would keep going, only reboot (yay, thankyou for faster boots MS) would solve it.

4. Mandatory new drivers ... serious? EVERY FREAKING PERSON knows that you should stay with the most stable FAMILY LINE of GPU drivers, never upgrade for new platform drivers. I have that in an OFFICIAL mail from nVidia: DO NOT UPDATE IF IT IS WORKING. Thankyou, my time in Windows 10 was a mess because of "up to date" but NOT THE CORRECT driver versions.

5. Did I mention bugs everywhere? ok my fault for installing a new OS on day one, but gee, that "Mail" app didn't read/send mails at all for me, and a lot of other apps or system tools had options that did nothing. And this was supposed to be the most beta tested windows ever? 

6. MY DESKTOP WORK/GAME COMPUTER IS NOT A TABLET. I think everyone will understand why I am pissed with that. Trash Metro, Trash that notification center with TABLET options, Trask "lock screen", keep your dirty hands off my network options, GIVE ME BACK RIGHT-CLICK CONTEXT MENUS

7. The minimum an OS should do is be a framework so programs work on top of it. For that matter, other than settings/tweakins for the whole, I demand a USEFUL AND CUSTOMIZABLE desktop/home and menu. W10 (and W8) start menus are TERRIBLE. I was unable to organize it, and nobody (even non Microsoft personel) was able to figure it out how to do it. Oh sure you can *maybe* add a link like this, *maybe* remove clutter like that. What, new folders? remove unwanted clutter (or at least rearrange inside dead folders?) nah ...no can do. WAIT, STOP RIGHT THERE ... pinning on metro hell or desktop is not organizing my menu.

8. BLOATWARE, BLOATWARE EVERYWHERE. I get some are required if my DESKTOP computer was a stupid SMARTPHONE, but no, I don't want "Camera" or other stupid apps. Some (80% maybe) can be uninstalled, but others simply can't, and before you tell me "but they don't waste that much space", well, my Windows 7 MENU have 8 entries (folders, organized), while even after 2 weeks trying to clean W10 all apps menu, it had some 100 entries. And no, when I want to run an application, I want to click on it, I know where it is, not ask damn Cortana as if I don't know even how to run a program.

9. Dear Cortana. My files, games, programs, pictures, musics ... ARE ON MY COMPUTER. Search HERE before searching the web. How stupid is it that "my files" is the last option AFTER Cortana searches the whole freaking web?

10. Leave the stupid settings app to dumb smartphone users, I want my full control panel as DEFAULT.

11. No, I won't use a music app that is ridiculously less powerful and with less options that is called "Groove Music" and keeps bugging me for a subscription. 

12. EVERY support link on my W10 INSIDE the control panel/settings instead of opening your usual help window, would open my browser to a microsoft page that ... didn't exist, so it forwarded to BING (ugh) with always the exact same question: "How do I get help for windows 10?", which the result was always an instruction on how to use Cortana, who didn't know jack how to fix anything. So ... if Microsoft support wasn't bad enough, they even removed all help from the system, delegated to the worst search engine ever created, which (as the worst) tells me to ask the stupid assistant that doesn't know jack. I used to get help faster on pre-internet eras you know ...

13. TOOOOOOOO MUCH stuff I am not "allowed" and have "permission denied" to do on my OWN COMPUTER even with administrative rights ... What is this, iOS for PC?

14. The new logo sucks /s

I hope someone hack and makes Direct X work on Linux one day. Then all my troubles will go away: Work, entertainment and gaming on a REAL OS. If Windows 7 didn't fix Vista, I am pretty sure the whole intelligent work who needs windows would still be using XP. Want to win hearts and minds? Go back to support XP and keep support for 7 forever. 

note: this is a rant, nobody will care, lest Microsoft, so don't bother answering, I won't come back, already untick "Notify me when someone responds" 

Besides the "Me Too" I would like to add...

1. Win 10 compatibility assured me "OK"

2. After upgrading to Win 10, screen is unstable and unreadable

3. Problem is traced to incompatibility between "Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family" and the (Microsoft supplied) Win 10 video driver -> 3/11/13 8.15.10.2702 (Microsoft Corporation - WDDM 1.1)

4. So this what you call "compatibility" - huh?

5. My PC is a Lenovo R500 laptop

6. All attempts to overload earlier Win7/Vista/XP video drivers are thwarted by Win 10.

7. Many thanks Microsoft & Intel - NOT!

8. I'm back to Win 7 from a saved HD - why should I trust Microsoft to get the revert right?

I'm sorry for your troubles - but your post has really made me re-consider installing 10 as I don't have half the know how you clearly have, so if it all went wrong I would be. *******!

On the other hand besides my ageing laptop running Win 7 , i have a not quite so old Gen 1 iPad that cannot be updated, and worse still Apple have made getting apps installed nigh on impossible ( but other than that it works fine so it's seems  they have very deliberately rendered it obscelescent) . 

Seems like you are screwed every which way unless you can afford newer technology - and sadly , not all of us can. 

What really makes me laugh is when these companies bang on about sustainability and their commitment to the environment - building in obscelence which sends their products to an early landfill grave  is nearer the truth. 

I agree completely with this. Windows 10 is a total buggy disaster. It is the worst OS yet from Microcrap. Even Vista worked better for me. Big fail!

I am having so much trouble with Windows 10. The start menu doesn't have most of the apps that were in my Windows 7 menu and I can't pin many programs to the start menu.

Search is super slow and it gives priority to web results instead of my local computer which slows it down even more.

And this split personality between old desktop apps and Metro is nuts! Even within Windows there are 2 versions of build-in apps for doing configurations of the OS. And I've just spent the last hour trying to figure out why my RSS feeds which were working fine under Windows 7 don't update anymore in Windows 10 (I still don't have a solution and trying to use a Store app is useless because there doesn't seem to be a way to associate a store app - as opposed to an old style desktop app - with a file type!).

And to think that MS is going to push this piece of junk onto their phones! They have this non-pragmatic vision of a unified OS across all devices subsidized by monetized apps. Problem is that you can't have a single solution for all platforms no matter how clever you think you are. And the store apps SUCK because no developer is going to waste time on it (and, besides, half the time when you try to install an app you get some obscure error code (with a cute but absolutely useless message saying "Try that again. Something went wrong. The error code is 0x*********** in case you need it") and the result is that they're going to **** off every user on every platform.

I've developed software for Windows environments since the MS-DOS days and for the first time ever I'm starting to think about a Mac.

MS! Get out of your Redmond Reality Distortion Field and stop this train wreck!

I made the error of exceeding the 30 days and am stuck with it.

The problem?

Hardware drivers not compatible and Microsoft have the gall to blame the hardware provider!

Microsoft, you created the problem you should sort it..

'Sorry your Camcorder wont work with this version of Windows' is not good enough'. Do I have to buy a new camcorder?

It worked fine in 7.

My family have Apple computers, seems I will be the subject of more ridicule.

I made the error of exceeding the 30 days and am stuck with it.

The problem?

Hardware drivers not compatible and Microsoft have the gall to blame the hardware provider!

Microsoft, you created the problem you should sort it..

'Sorry your Camcorder wont work with this version of Windows' is not good enough'. Do I have to buy a new camcorder?

It worked fine in 7.

My family have Apple computers, seems I will be the subject of more ridicule.

Microcrap has proven many times during the last year or so that the do not give a f... about the old a faitful customers. A new set of bean counters have taken over and they obviously do not mind showing cr... out the door if it can give them some quick bucks.

The have totally screwed two of my tablets which worked quite fine with Windows 8.1. My surface 3 pro still works but it works MUCH WORSE with Windows 10 than with Windows 8.1

ARE YOU LISTENING MICROCRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????????????

I cannot belive that the company and the OS that I have supported for so many years have decided to screw me over in this way.

F...... YOU MICROCRAP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was dubious when invited to upgrade but nevertheless I eventually did so and then the problems started. As many quite rightly have said there is too much 'you don't have permission' (even though I'm the admin!) Edge is just so unstable throwing a wobbly if it doesn't want to go to your selected page , then everything slows down to an absolute crawl especially Outlook which was never a good program anyway but under Win 10 is just a joke! I often find that there are 'missing protocols' but there isn't yet any fix so we have to put up with a semi (and sometimes non) functional internet. I've tried Firefox but that is slow too. I've got good antimalware, spyware and antivirus. Ran them all just in case but nothing, I ran fine in Win 7 and have added extra RAM and am at 20gb now but it hasn't made a blind bit of difference. Sadly I've missed the deadline on reverting back so am stuck with this disaster unless I completely reinstall Win 7 from scratch which would be a pain. Mind you putting up with Windows 10 and all it's problems can cause you to lose the will to live! (lol) Why didn't Microsoft test this thoroughly before inflicting it on us?

I second all the previous comments. I rolled back from W10 to W7 in the 30 day period, W10 was an unmitigated disaster for me:

- Duplicated menus. Would switch off wifi after coming out of hibernation. Why?? 2 ways to handle wifi. I was disconnected according to the taskbar, but the W10 notification said I was connected. Why?? Wifi would drop out without warning...

- Menu text and Edge fonts blurry and unreadable. MS knew about this in beta and decided, well, to ignore it. We all use hi-res screens now, MS. Not acceptable. Had to use Chrome for surfing, and they got it right.

- Wifi network was defaulted to be available to anyone. Eh?

- Email client (Live mail 2012) kept crashing.

- Startup menu too crowded, with too many useless apps that I will never need. Metro interface on Windows Phone was acceptable, but on desktop, just looks silly and childish.

- Why put flight mode on a desktop??? Really? That was a major cause of wifi disconnects and I had to hunt deep for my answers on the web to fix it (not from MS Community I'm afraid).

- Start-up slow, general navigation slow. Could hear CPU and HDD stressing all the time during basic tasks.

- Automatic updates when you least expect. Max inconvenience for the user.

So, Microsoft: W10 still feels like a beta product. It's buggy and unreliable. So when I read on the net that really it's your policy to rush this stuff out, let your customers do the quality testing for you, then you do nothing with the feedback...well then my only option was to roll back to W7. Shame on you.

I also use a Windows Phone. I discovered today that W10 Mobile is being rolled out, yet MS has decided to no longer let Here Maps sat nav function under W10. Here Maps/Drive is possibly the most useful rich app on the phone. Why do that??

Another W10 Mobile upgrade reports that audio no longer works when recording video. Why??

I shall now be surfing the net for ways to ensure my phone never gets upgraded to W10 Mobile. Double shame on you.

Thanks.  At last I have found someone who is as PO ed as I am.  Windows 10 is a total disaster.  I just purchased a new laptop and it came with Windows 10 installed.  I have been resisting updating my Windows 7 with the "FREE" version of Windows 10.  I just knew there had to be problems for it to be offered free.  First, it just take over my PC to upload their stupid updates whether I want them or not.  When I click the "Dismiss" button, and turn my head the upload is done and my system reboots.  

Does anyone know how to get the Windows 7 operating system?