After trying W10 for 2 weeks, for the first time in my life I used the "restore previous OS" option (note: hats off to Microsoft, apparently they knew this was going to be a disaster ... took 4 minutes to restore my Windows 7 to PERFECTION as pre-W10), and I have been using computers since Windows DIDN'T EXIST (yes, I used even Windows 3.0, and Windows 1.0 for fun)
Before I list the reasons why this update is a disaster, even free (again, Microsoft knew this was a disaster, thus giving it free), I would also like to say that for most of my issues I mailed, live-chatted, created questions here on this forum and browsed the net insanely, and ALL the (little) help I was able to get was NEVER from Microsoft support, which always responded "no, you can't do that". So number one on my list goes to them.
1. Microsoft support is terrible, they couldn't care less, and don't answer. If they do, is to tell you are toast.
2. Several important programs for WORK, ENTERTAINMENT and GAMING stopped working with no solution available anywhere I looked. Took me 3 days of painstakingly work to get my Apache+php version to work, and I went to places I never had to go to make it work ... and it still worked somewhat buggy. Edge is a disaster (they pushed clearly a WIP on us) and the biggest games I have don't work and MICROSOFT KNOW IT (I tried to run "Fallout 3", yes it is kinda old, sue me) and before the launcher menu showed, the W10 notification center just popped "This program is not going to work on Windows 10", and when I clicked on it it simply sent me to download "Games for Windows", which I installed and didn't solve jack.
3. Decrease in performance. When the system worked, it was fine, it even booted fast (Microsoft loves to improve boot time, as if we keep booting once an hour ... wait ... so many bugs and crashes, they are right!), but my biggest gripe was that sometimes, after the system was on for too long, it started "stuttering". Even the mouse would move across the screen in pulses, music/video would stutter the hell out, games or real-time applications also would work like morse code, and there was NOTHING I could do to stop. I would kill every task/process and it would keep going, only reboot (yay, thankyou for faster boots MS) would solve it.
4. Mandatory new drivers ... serious? EVERY FREAKING PERSON knows that you should stay with the most stable FAMILY LINE of GPU drivers, never upgrade for new platform drivers. I have that in an OFFICIAL mail from nVidia: DO NOT UPDATE IF IT IS WORKING. Thankyou, my time in Windows 10 was a mess because of "up to date" but NOT THE CORRECT driver versions.
5. Did I mention bugs everywhere? ok my fault for installing a new OS on day one, but gee, that "Mail" app didn't read/send mails at all for me, and a lot of other apps or system tools had options that did nothing. And this was supposed to be the most beta tested windows ever?
6. MY DESKTOP WORK/GAME COMPUTER IS NOT A TABLET. I think everyone will understand why I am pissed with that. Trash Metro, Trash that notification center with TABLET options, Trask "lock screen", keep your dirty hands off my network options, GIVE ME BACK RIGHT-CLICK CONTEXT MENUS
7. The minimum an OS should do is be a framework so programs work on top of it. For that matter, other than settings/tweakins for the whole, I demand a USEFUL AND CUSTOMIZABLE desktop/home and menu. W10 (and W8) start menus are TERRIBLE. I was unable to organize it, and nobody (even non Microsoft personel) was able to figure it out how to do it. Oh sure you can *maybe* add a link like this, *maybe* remove clutter like that. What, new folders? remove unwanted clutter (or at least rearrange inside dead folders?) nah ...no can do. WAIT, STOP RIGHT THERE ... pinning on metro hell or desktop is not organizing my menu.
8. BLOATWARE, BLOATWARE EVERYWHERE. I get some are required if my DESKTOP computer was a stupid SMARTPHONE, but no, I don't want "Camera" or other stupid apps. Some (80% maybe) can be uninstalled, but others simply can't, and before you tell me "but they don't waste that much space", well, my Windows 7 MENU have 8 entries (folders, organized), while even after 2 weeks trying to clean W10 all apps menu, it had some 100 entries. And no, when I want to run an application, I want to click on it, I know where it is, not ask damn Cortana as if I don't know even how to run a program.
9. Dear Cortana. My files, games, programs, pictures, musics ... ARE ON MY COMPUTER. Search HERE before searching the web. How stupid is it that "my files" is the last option AFTER Cortana searches the whole freaking web?
10. Leave the stupid settings app to dumb smartphone users, I want my full control panel as DEFAULT.
11. No, I won't use a music app that is ridiculously less powerful and with less options that is called "Groove Music" and keeps bugging me for a subscription.
12. EVERY support link on my W10 INSIDE the control panel/settings instead of opening your usual help window, would open my browser to a microsoft page that ... didn't exist, so it forwarded to BING (ugh) with always the exact same question: "How do I get help for windows 10?", which the result was always an instruction on how to use Cortana, who didn't know jack how to fix anything. So ... if Microsoft support wasn't bad enough, they even removed all help from the system, delegated to the worst search engine ever created, which (as the worst) tells me to ask the stupid assistant that doesn't know jack. I used to get help faster on pre-internet eras you know ...
13. TOOOOOOOO MUCH stuff I am not "allowed" and have "permission denied" to do on my OWN COMPUTER even with administrative rights ... What is this, iOS for PC?
14. The new logo sucks /s
I hope someone hack and makes Direct X work on Linux one day. Then all my troubles will go away: Work, entertainment and gaming on a REAL OS. If Windows 7 didn't fix Vista, I am pretty sure the whole intelligent work who needs windows would still be using XP. Want to win hearts and minds? Go back to support XP and keep support for 7 forever.
note: this is a rant, nobody will care, lest Microsoft, so don't bother answering, I won't come back, already untick "Notify me when someone responds"