Windows 10 Home Spring Update 1803 will not complete because 0xc1900209 error

I get this error but i opens another window scanning for 'Issues' found during install.

It is in the second install process of update, at 49% complete when this happens: the issue is "Avira Antiv" is displayed.  It has a button to click on, which says 'Uninstall and Continue(or Refresh)?  Clicking on it, comes back with could not remove, 'You must uninstall yourself then click on the Refresh Button"?

I got this Laptop(Gateway) with Windows 7 Home, originally.  I have never seen or downloaded Avira Antivirus program or App on this PC?

However, doing regedit found there were some files in the Keys.  Some were about going to the website and others were folders but i never found programs in the folders or Applications.  5/2/18 i contacted an MS agent, who took over machine and looked for the Avira files.  Now, it may have been on the pc when i got it and i uninstalled it, or it came with another program like Nuance, Dragon13 Speech!  I did find Avira items under the Nuance folders.  I went to Avira and found they had a standalone program to clean all registries of avira, keys and all.  i followed the instrcutions and it seemed to have worked, removing many things or at least going thru the motions.  reset netsh and restarted pc. this included showing hidden files, etc.

all is good, did an Windows update reboot to clear some database issues found with it.  Tried to install version 1803 again, from new download and all.

this did not remove the issue. the MS agent did his own thing on my pc, then decided that he would do an ISO download to my PC, and that i would run it. Well his instructions were faulty because it was supposed to leave a folder on my desktop but did not. instead it put and IE file in my Pictures folder? I found out that i had to image burn it to a DVD then run it that way.  It was in the process of loading the ISO update BUT guess what? It still had the same error???  I wonder if my update history is somehow keeping the previous errors messages in database, and stopping any new download and install from getting past it??  Case #1424946613. Agents name was Raj.  Probably in the East somewhere?  I will try another agent tonight, almost 5/4, and see if anything changes.  I know nobody will get this or address it for several days i am guessing?

Bill Jones Seattle

|

Same phenomenon. 

At restart I see a freezed windows logo

and nothing happens.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

well, I didn't get that kind of event.  the update install did not even change from Windows Update web page-it just kept telling me I had to uninstall the Avira file then click on Refresh-but I couldn't get past that part, so never could upgrade to 1803.

I finally got another MS Agent to help me.  It seemed to have been an Windows Update pgm problem with removing that Avira message from its WU database file-so it never realized that any files were removed (when I first removed the ones I found)? It couldn't get past the message it had saved in its process of examining my compatibility of my PC.  the agent realized this and was able to get the 1803 to load and upgrade my PC.  

If you are still stuck, go to WIndows Help Virtual Agent and ask to 'talk with agent' link. It may take some time and you must give control of your PC to the agent but it will be safe.

good luck

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey, 

Had a similar issue on HP Laptop. 

Solved mines by going to C:\Program Files (x86) and C:\Program Files then deleting the Avira folder. 

Restarted and ran installation again. 

Hope it helps: :)

9 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

thanks for reply but I did not have Avira folder anywhere-it turned out that an Nuance Dragon13 program I had for years was somehow connected with Avira files?  Did find them all eventually but Windows Update error database ended up not deleting the incompatibility pgms list and still gave me error every time I tried to install. Online MS agent eventually discovered the issue and resolved it.

Windows Updates with 10 has produced errors in its database with different hardware.  I have had problems and many of my friends too. Hopefully they will discover how these update issues keep occurring every time they have a major upgrade.

8 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My resolution was to update my nVidia drivers to the latest version. After that update, the Win10 1803 latest build installed fine. It was stuck at 42% a few times, until I did some investigation - to find out that the nVidia GeoForce drivers were the culprit. I have a GTX1070 card. No need to remove the card if you put the very latest drivers onto Windows BEFORE the upgrade.

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

I had the same issue (i.e. spring W10 update failed because a theoretical installation of Avira Antivir). As I had no Avira Antivir installed, I did what Avira website recommends in this case:

https://www.avira.com/en/support-for-home-knowledgebase-detail/kbid/1944

But unfortunately it did not work.

Finally, I decided to install the latest version of Avira Antivir (thinking that it could overwrite the old registers - if any), and it worked. I could update windows 10 without any further issue, after installing the latest free version of Avira.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

i have the same problema whit my surface laptop ,and the ssd it s a toshiba

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

This is real BS.

I never even HEARD of Avira.  It is nowhere on my system.  NONE of the answers here seem to help and damn if I can get live tech assistance, it wants some damn six digit code I don't have.

Meanwhile my computer keeps pestering e about a damn update I do not care a lot about...it either needs to tell me EXACTLY what the hell is wrong, or quit bugging me to update and then telling me I can't.  Screw Microsoft to hell.

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Angela:

I had the same problem and found that some of my programs had Avira in them, for instance Dragon Software.

Still, after I removed all those I found it would not update giving me the same error.  I had to finally go to virtual assistance in Microsoft support.  I found that also what was happening was Windows Update program had an issue and would not remove the Avira error from its own database causing the error to occur over and over. 

the tech support staff fixed Windows update error and then downloaded the image of the WIndows 10 Home 1803 update to my pc.  He told me what to do after it was installed, how to reply to prompts, etc., however the install did not go as he said it would for some reason but I was able to get through it.

My recommendation is that you go to MS Support, click on Virtual Assitant, get to live person option by entering that in the problem box.  the AI will connect you to a real person.  They may  be in India or someplace else?  You will have to allow them access to your machine.  they will take control and do all the work.  tell them what I told you had to be done.  Then will search out all Avira files, delete them, then fix the Windows Update program if necessary on your machine.  They will try to run the update for the 1803 upgrade, It may work at this point or they may have to download the actual Image file which is like installing a new Windows Operating System.  Be sure at this point the tech makes it clear what you need to do after they have to install an image file. 

This will take some time 60-120 minutes for my stuff.  They will want to stop any other anti-virus programs you have too. If you have others besides Windows Defender, this may take longer. I had Malwarebytes but all I had to do was uninstall it and reinstall after.  If you have Norton or something it may take more work for the tech representative.

after they are done you stop the 'chat' program and disconnect with the tech.  You need to go into your Remote Settings(Security) and uncheck the Remote Access boxes if any still checked.  To make sure others cannot get access to your PC. If you use the Control Panel app, you can open it and find Remote settings in on the right side of panel, upper corner.  Click on remote and uncheck  the boxes 'Remote' named.  Questions? Ask the tech before you disconnect.  hope this makes it easier for you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Complicated.

I have Defender Pro.  I paid for it for lifetime, no WAY am I letting anyone uninstall that so that I have to pay for it again!

Also...I have a virtual machine XAMPP running on my computer.  No way in HELL I let them uninstall that.  It is needed for a test server for a game I am developing.

Shutting off XAMPP did not solve my problem...when XAMPP runs, it runs Apache and MySQL.

Also, I have software for my business...which is not easy to put back on after it is taken off, and I do not let them touch that.

Is there any way to tell the tech there are certain things that you absolutely do not authorize and will not allow..even if it is the source of the problem?

In which case, I want them to fix it with a new update, and in the meantime make my machine quit bugging me to do an update I can't do..and therefore do not even want.  

If it requires taking off things I am not willing to take off, Microsoft can shove their update where the sun don't shine.

But I can give it a try.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated July 1, 2020 Views 15,807 Applies to: