Windows 10 freeze at 25% overall 85% copying file?

Anyone has a solution for Windows 10 freeze at 25% overall 85% copying files?

Hello Danny,

Thank you for visiting Microsoft Community and providing us with the detailed description about the issue.

As per the description, I understand that you are experiencing issue upgrading to Windows 10 in the system.

I certainly understand your concern and will try my best to help you.

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 29, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-a-list-of-things-to-do-if-windows-10-setup/eba3c864-d9fe-4f8e-9468-81b1f89473ed

Also, I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Andre Da Costa” replied on May 15, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-troubleshoot-common-setup-and-stop-errors/324d5a5f-d658-456c-bb82-b1201f735683

You may also try running SFC scan and check if that helps.

How to use the System File Checker tool to repair missing or corrupted system files, please follow the steps in the link provided below.

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833?wa=wsignin1.0

Note: System File Checker is a utility in Windows that allows users to scan for corruptions in Windows system files and restore corrupted files. This article describes how to run the System File Checker tool (SFC.exe)to scan your system files and to repair missing or corrupted system files in Windows 8.1 or Windows 8. If a Windows Resource Protection (WRP) file is missing or is corrupted, Windows may not behave as expected.

The above steps holds good for Windows 10 as well.

For more information:

I would suggest you to refer to the suggestions provided by “Andre Da Costa” replied on January 22, 2015 in the following Microsoft Community link.

Frequently Asked Questions: Windows 10

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/frequently-asked-questions-windows-10/5c0b9368-a9e8-4238-b1e4-45f4b7ed2fb9

I hope this information is helpful.

Please do let us know if you need any further assistance, we will be glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Regards
Jayant Gupta - Microsoft Support Engineer

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

I am getting exactly the same error when trying to upgrade one of my machines. The error that is reported when it restores the old OS is Windows 10 Upgrade Error "Something Happened 0x80071126-0x2000A". I have posted a message here about it:-

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-windows_install/windows-10-upgrade-error-something-happened/4b599549-499f-46bd-83e3-ebf2aab5d7c3?tm=1441185659253&auth=1

I have been through all of the FAQs and suggestions mentioned, tried a few of the remedies that sound close to the problem and nothing is working so far.

Seems to be a problem with writing to the recovery partition looking at the set up error log on my machine.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Beginning to think that it it actually connected with WIMBoot i.e. new boot mechanism introduced with 8.1 that allows a smaller boot image to be used. Why it is on machine as there is a 128G SSD there I don't know. During trying to upgrade to a technical preview I got an error about can't with a compressed OS.

No sign of any comment or help on any of my postings on this.

Any chance of a confirmation that the upgrade should work with WIMBoot or is there an easy way of fixing my system so that WIMBoot is off.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Still seeing the issue after trying the new November update. Still cannot upgrade the machine to Windows 10.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

We can manually install the latest Windows version 1511 by downloading an ISO image of Windows 10. I suggest you to create installation media using Media Creation tool and install on your PC and check if it helps.

Please refer the below link for ISO of Windows 10:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-in/software-download/windows10

Kindly let us know if you need any further assistance with Windows. We are glad to assist you.

Thank you.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I am using the media creation tool to try and install the update. This is the method that is failing. I would assume that you have not tried your suggested method on a system with WIMBoot enabled.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have finally been able to upgrade my machine. Hurray. Perseverance finally paid off. That or good luck. Download and run the latest media creation tool to make up a bootable USB stick.
Running the same media creation tool to upgrade the machine still failed in the same way.
Booting off the USB stick failed in that you can't answer the locale question as no touch screen drivers are loaded. Helpful that.
The answer is to run the setup.exe off the USB stick. That did it for me. Was expecting the usual failure like the direct upgrade just run but looked back and saw 40% overall progress for the first time and nearly fell off the chair.
Now have a working Windows 10 box.
Now just have some new issues on the machine which I haven't seen on any of the other machines.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hello,

Glad to know that the issue has been resolved.

In future, If you face any issues with Windows, do get back to us. We will be happy to assist you.

Thank You.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

NevilleHumphrys, that did it. Didn't have a flash drive at the time but burned the ISO created with the media creation tool and ran the setup file on the root of the disc. Worked great. Thanks. 

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated December 30, 2018 Views 1,204 Applies to: