Windows 10 Feature Update 1607 Repeatedly Failss

As the title suggest, the Anniversary update 1607 repeatedly fails to install. After configuring updates, it just fails and goes back to reverting changes.

If I let my computer restart and update by itself, it fails to install.

If I click the restart button in the settings, it fails to install.

If i click the restart and update button in the power menu (the one with shut down, sleep, hibernate, etc.), it fails to install.

Disabling my antivirus before restarting does not help

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-anniversary-update-fails-to-install/38da18d2-7806-4cf1-bae6-740b3416cc7f did not help, and "net stop wuauserv" for some reason fails to stop (or takes a really long time to stop, i don't know)

I'm really getting sick of this. I have been trying to get this stupid update to install for months, to no avail. It's even more annoying because I have the version of Windows 10 that force you to update sooner or later. For some reason, even though it says it will try to update during a time I don't use my computer, it always sets the time to 10 pm, except that I use the computer at 10 pm all the time. Sure sometimes i can reschedule, but sometimes it doesn't restart and update at the scheduled time and just switches back to 10 pm. If it fails to update, it does not let me change the time from 10 pm to a more convenient time.

The only way I've found to be able to delay the update is to just hibernate my computer before 10 pm, then turn it on after, so it has already passed the scheduled time. However, this is still super annoying, as it is very disruptive when I am doing homework.

None of the failed update attempts after the first recorded anything in the update settings, and I don't know where the log went. It seems to have disappeared after following the steps in https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-update/windows-update-anniversary-update-fails-to-install/38da18d2-7806-4cf1-bae6-740b3416cc7f

Why does Windows 10 force us to update? Even Windows 8.1 was better about that.

Question Info

Last updated January 2, 2018 Views 165 Applies to:

Please provide more information so that the cause of your problem may be diagnosed.

Please restart your computer and allow 20 minutes for the system to run before uploading information required to help me investigate your problem. When examining Event Viewer log files many, not all, problems show in the period immediately after the computer has been booted.

Please provide a copy of your System Information file. To access your System Information file select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type msinfo32 and click OK . Place the cursor on System Summary. Select File, Export and give the file a name noting where it is located. Click Save. Files in the txt file format are preferred.Do not place the cursor within the body of the report before exporting the file.The system creates a new System Information file each time system information is accessed. You need to allow a minute or two for the file to be fully populated before exporting a copy. Please upload the file to your OneDrive, share with everyone and post a link here. If the report is in a language other than English, please state the language.

Please upload to your OneDrive and share with everyone a copy of your System log file from your Event Viewer and post a link here. Please remove any earlier copies of the logs from your OneDrive.

To access the System log select the keyboard shortcut Win+R, type eventvwr.msc and press the ENTER key. From the list in the left side of the window select Windows Logs and System. Place the cursor on System, select Action from the Menu and Save All Events as (the default evtx file type) and give the file a name. Do not provide filtered files. Do not place the cursor in the list of reports before selecting Action from the menu. Do not clear logs whilst you have a continuing problem.

For help with OneDrive see paragraph 9.3:

http://www.gerryscomputertips.co.uk/MicrosoftCommunity1.htm

Gerry
Stourport-on-Severn, Worcestershire, England
Enquire Plan Execute

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.