Windows 10 Fall Creators Update Corrupt

Windows 10 automatically downloaded and attempted to install the Fall Creators Update, however it blue screened during the update after rebooting. Specifically, it got stuck at 15% for about 5 minutes, then immediately jumped to 28%, then immediately rebooted, and upon rebooting it blue screened. Windows was eventually able to recover through automatic system restore after several more failed attempts to reboot.

However, now Windows keeps wanting to install the same broken update. I tried it again a second time, just to be sure, and same result: upon rebooting to install the update, Windows blue screened again, starting the whole thing over again.

I can't turn off or restart my computer now, because it will just try to install the update again and blue screen again. I tried a sfc /scannow but there were no integrity violations.

How do I fix this?

Question Info

Last updated July 11, 2018 Views 6,944 Applies to:

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi,

There may be few reasons why you are getting the blue screen error while installing the new Windows 10 Fall Creators Update. You may consider the following troubleshooting suggestions to resolve this issue:

1. Perform a clean boot. To do this you will be starting your Windows computer with a minimal set of drivers. For more information about this, kindly click this link.
  2. While on the clean boot state, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This is a helpful tool in fixing issues while updating your Windows. Click this to access the troubleshooter.
  3. After that, you may run the automatic update once again.

If the issue persists after doing the above-mentioned steps, kindly download the Fall Creators Update manually using the Media Creation Tool. It would also help us if you could provide the error message which you are getting upon installing the update.

Post here the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Did this solve your problem?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for marking this as the answer.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

How satisfied are you with this response?

Thanks for your feedback.

no problems here everyone just remember patience is the essence when updating it took the better part of 6 hrs to download and then install for me, it may hang for up to whatever minutes put just be patient ,it's a good idea to shut your power settings to never shut down so update can do its thing -PATIENCE IS THE WORD GUYS .

Sorry this didn't help.

I tried everything you said. Did a clean boot. Ran the troubleshooter. Even went so far as to uninstall my anti-virus and update or reinstall all my system drivers to no avail. 

Tried the Media Creation Tool as well. 

Same result. The post reboot install gets stuck at 15-16% for a couple of minutes, then jumps to 28% and then reboots. And then upon rebooting, blue screens.

The blue screen error I'm getting is SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED.

After trying to install via the Media Creation Tool, upon being restored Windows 10 Setup reported an error this time:

"0xC1900101 - 0x30017

The installation failed in the FIRST_BOOT phase with an error during BOOT operation" 

I'm at my wit's end here. 

If it helps, here are my system specs:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600

Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3

16GB PC-3200 RAM

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Everything was fine before the Fall Creators Update. And goes back to being fine after Windows restores itself to before it tried to install the update. 

2 people were helped by this reply

·

Sorry this didn't help.

Thank you for your response. You may try to manually install Windows 10 Version 1709 first using the link provided below. The link is the Microsoft Update Catalog site where Community members can download updates manually. Click the link to continue troubleshooting your issue.

Microsoft Update.

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same problem with the new Surface Pro (5).

I've tried Windows Update, than Media Creation Tool (ISO), with and without Antivirus, Internet and so on.

Still same errorcode like the guy above.

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi,

In order to assist you with your concern about updating your Windows 10, you may refer to the following troubleshooting suggestions:

1. Perform a clean boot. To do this you will be starting your Windows computer with a minimal set of drivers. For more information about this, kindly click this link.
  2. While on the clean boot state, run the Windows Update Troubleshooter. This is a helpful tool in fixing issues while updating your Windows. Click this to access the troubleshooter.
  3. After that, you may run the automatic update once again.
  4. If this doesn't work you may manually install your Windows version 1709. by clicking this link: Microsoft Update.

let us know the result for us to help you further.

Regards.

Sorry this didn't help.

Same problem here but this time in a VMware Workstation virtual machine - my Windows 10 test machine used for software and application testing. About to video capture the installation.

Sorry this didn't help.

same old problem...have you move my video..my music...my picture or and folder to another location ? change it back...you will install smoothly

Sorry this didn't help.

Could you provide a little more detail?

Sorry this didn't help.

Have you move default my document.....my music...my video ...or any folder in c drive to other drive? Move it back to c drive...if not you will fail..to upgrade

Sorry this didn't help.